Thread: Smoking Ban

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Consequently, I think bars should have the choice of being either a smoking or a non-smoking bar, and I think the decision should be a business decision. Don't want to smell smoke? Go to a nonsmoking bar. Want to smoke? Go to a smoking bar.
    The funny thing is, there was no such choice when smoking in bars was legal.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Ya, then again in the time smoking was cool, they didnt know it causes cancer to the active and passive smokers
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    The funny thing is, there was no such choice when smoking in bars was legal.
    Why do you suppose that was?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Ya, then again in the time smoking was cool, they didnt know it causes cancer to the active and passive smokers
    How solid are the studies on passive smoke causing cancer? By that I mean how strong is the correlation between exposure to passive smoke and incidence of lung cancer?

I'm not asking to challenge you... the question is not rhetorical. I honestly don't know the answer, and would like to.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Why do you suppose that was?
    Ignorance I guess.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

How solid are the studies on passive smoke causing cancer? By that I mean how strong is the correlation between exposure to passive smoke and incidence of lung cancer?

I'm not asking to challenge you... the question is not rhetorical. I honestly don't know the answer, and would like to.
    I never looked if there are studies. To me its logical, if you are inhaling the stuff active or passive, it has over 5000 additives mixed into it by tobacco industry to make you pay for it. I imagine it to be like asbestos or diezel sooty particles
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I never looked if there are studies. To me its logical, if you are inhaling the stuff active or passive, it has over 5000 additives mixed into it by tobacco industry to make you pay for it. I imagine it to be like asbestos or diezel sooty particles
    Too much bad law is made on the basis of such presumptions. I want to see hard data that shows that my likelihood of getting lung cancer goes up because I grew up with a smoking mom. If it's a legitimate concern, proving it should be fairly trivial.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3

I used to live in Colorado, and there wasn't smoking allowed anywhere.(I can't speak for bars, as I was too young at the time). Now I live in Missouri, and their is smoking everywhere. I don't take issue with people smoking outside, inside their houses, in their cars, in bars, and the like, but in Missouri most places still have smoking in restaurants, which I don't really like. I think that when I am trying to enjoy my meal, I shouldn't be on the edge of an asthma attack. My mom used to smoke but eventually started smoking only outside, and then stopped all together because of my asthma. I think everyone has a right to do what they wish, but I wish more people were considerate of the people around them when they do so.

The problem is that nicotine is highly addictive, particularly delivered by smokiing. And to break an addiction we need all tha social support we can get. And the banning of smoking gives that social support.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Kriash View Post
    Missouri most places still have smoking in restaurants
    This is the funny thing about the whole choice argument. The argument is that the proprietors should decide and individuals can choose only to eat in restaurants that don't allow smoking. But for some reason, all this results in is almost all restaurants allowing smoking and non smokers given little choice. There seems to be something broken in the way that the market is operated.