User Tag List

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Smoking Ban

Senior Member Array Fan.of.Devin's Avatar

I can see a generally sound case for banning smoking on spaces legally considered to be public...
    IE: public buildings (schools, government offices, libraries, whatever), sidewalks, even on private property where the fumes could legitimately waft onto public property.
    I also don't have a problem with private establishments banning smoking on their own volition, and actually, I prefer a non-smoking environment.

But, government enforced smoking bans for private property, like the bar laws, are a complete farce.
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    lol this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. being gay I should be offended, but I mostly just find it humorously pathetic
    It's the Onion, Elfboy. It's a parody.

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

Killing the pain and killing ourselves

But why do we smoke? What is it in our psyches we are trying to reach with smoke?

The answer is simple - our authoritarian society produces dissociated personalities. In other words, our society produces the divided self. Our society produces a psyche without integrity.

And when our divided selves comes into contact with reality, we experience psychological pain - our diveded psyches hurt.

This is not a physical pain but a pain we experience in our psyches. It is an invisible pain and we don't know what to do about it. It is as though the pain is an enemy like cancer. And like the pain of cancer we decide to poison the pain in our psyches with a highly toxic substance, tobacco smoke.

The pity of it all is that to kill the pain, we kill ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I think we have broken the back of smoking here. We no longer smoke indoors or even outdoors at pubs and restaurants. The only ones who smoke now are teenage girls, the mentally ill and those addicted to alcohol or drugs.

Smoking is a personal liberty issue... risk vs. reward.

(Disclosure: I am not a habitual smoker, but once or twice a year I'll puff on a cigar.)

I say that, unless it's demonstrable that your smoking is doing harm to others, it should not be interfered with by law. People who choose to self-harm with carcinogens and addict themselves to nicotine may freely do so.

The Eighth Colour Array Octarine's Avatar
    10w so

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I say that, unless it's demonstrable that your smoking is doing harm to others
    Passive smoking can easily been shown to cause psychological discomfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    Passive smoking can easily been shown to cause psychological discomfort.
    Yeah, and?

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    6w5 sp/sx

I don't know whether it should necessarily be banned, but I'm still very very happy that it's banned in restaurants and bars here. If you want to ignore the whole cancer thing, and the asthmatics(sp?) who can't breathe thing - Smoke smells horrible and is very very irritating to breathe. It really ruins the taste of food, too.

It's annoying enough to get someone's ash flicked back in your face or walk into a cloud of smoke on the sidewalk. Being trapped in a room with it is beyond unpleasant.

It doesn't matter what people do to themselves, but when it's annoying and possibly dangerous for others, a ban may make sense. Spitting on the sidewalk is (usually?) banned, too, and that isn't even dangerous.
    -end of thread-

I was a kid who grew up with a smoking mom. I dislike the odor of cigarette smoke but can tolerate it, both as a result of having been trapped in a car with Mom when she lit up a cigarette, or (worse still) stuck at Grandma's house on a Sunday afternoon, where all my aunts and uncles gathered and every... last... one of them smoked. The dining room would fill up from three feet off the floor to all the way to the ceiling with acrid gray smoke; I remember sitting and trying to watch TV with my eyes burning. I also remember standing next to Mom while she was smoking and the smoke was wafting my way, and she would get pissed at me for waving the smoke away.

I didn't want it. It irritated my nose and throat, and I didn't like the smell.

So I agree that people who don't want to be around cigarette smoke shouldn't have to be... but I also assert that those who want to smoke in an environment where their smoke can be contained and not trouble those who don't like it, should have the right to do so. One person's right to not smell smoke does not absolutely trump another person's right to smoke.

Consequently, I think bars should have the choice of being either a smoking or a non-smoking bar, and I think the decision should be a business decision. Don't want to smell smoke? Go to a nonsmoking bar. Want to smoke? Go to a smoking bar.

I think there's room for some personal liberty on this issue.

My college just instituted a campus-wide ban on the use of all tobacco products. Not sure how I feel about that