User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: Smoking Ban

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    Seriously, smoking is one of the most annoying anti-social behaviours that is still common in our society.
    I think we have broken the back of smoking here. We no longer smoke indoors or even outdoors at pubs and restaurants. The only ones who smoke now are teenage girls, the mentally ill and those addicted to alcohol or drugs.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Personally, why don't they just make illegal? Seriously. What I really hate is people so vehemently against smoking, that they forget smokers are real people too. I'm a pretty considerate smoker. I go outside,down the back of the gardens, away from all the entrances and windows, dispose of my butts nicely, and I still get grief from judgemental arseholes. I mean people who shoot up herion are more socially acceptable. Making it as inconvient as possible is ultimately goal, I get that, but in your car and your own property is a step too far.
    I'm gonna try out this zyban stuff next week.
    The hospital I work at refuses to let the patients smoke or they won't treat them (serious), a policy some of the mental health workers are really against because then they have to deal with agatition on top of pretty severe mental disorders. These workers are non-smokers and ex-smokers. If the patients are seperate, and still smoking outside, they are more settled, and a lot easier to treat, but no exception are made, andI know the case workers get irratated by the policy.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Recognising that smoking is uniquely poisonous and addictive, we have banned smoking indoors and outdoors and in motor cars, and doctors are reluctant to treat smokers.

So I think it is a joke that the druggies want to legalise the smoking of cannabis.
    Last edited by Mole; 04-25-2011 at 11:45 PM.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

I gather that the point of these laws is to halt secondhand smoke. However, rather than enacting these impossible to enforce square foot laws or whatnot, just make a law that requires you to put out your cigarette or move if someone complains about it. If they refuse, they have a right to call the cops, who will snatch the cigarette right out their mouth and put it out on their nipple. Or write a citation.

This will work against some smoke-breathing asshat in a line...not so much for a scrawny INTP wandering inside a smoke-clouded biker gang pub.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Onion News Network has the scoop on reducing teen smoking.

[YOUTUBE=82x9pzHkHK4]ONN[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INTP

I'm all for banning smoking in public places, but fining a person for smoking in their own moving vehicle is a bit ridiculous. I would support a fine for smoking in a car when children are in that car, though. Rolling down a window doesn't really prevent other passengers from inhaling it. It helps, but it doesn't alleviate the problem. I'm always amazed when people smoke in their own houses when they have small kids. The kid has no choice in the matter.
    Something Witty

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

It's the second hand smoke argument that bugs me.

If second hand cigarette smoke is so bad, what about second hand smoke from cars, or planes, or space shuttles, or factories, or weed.

If externalities like these are so pressing, why don't we do more than we do about drunk driving?

If I were asked what has a greater net (negative) impact on society, the externalities of smoking or those of drinking, 10 times out of 10 I'm going to say drinking.

The only things (with few exceptions) which can be properly termed crimes, are those acts which actively deprive others of their natural rights.

So for instance, merely having a certain style of firearm in an area which puts tight limitations on the ownership of firearms, is not (in my humble opinion) criminal. It's criminal technically because the state says it is, but ownership of the weapon has harmed no one, and can't reasonably be thought of as wrong until the weapon is used for some nefarious purpose.

It's the same way with smoking, or drugs or whatever.

The gov't thinks they have the right to suplant each individual's ability to decide what is best for them.

I'm fine with banning smoking in places where a reasonable person would have an expectation of being free from such vices. Places like, schools, hospitals, movie theaters, and restaraunts.

But trying to ban smoking in places where no expectation arises such as the bar, the sidewalk etc. smacks of "I know what's better for you than you do" nanny statism.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    It's the second hand smoke argument that bugs me.

If second hand cigarette smoke is so bad, what about second hand smoke from cars, or planes, or space shuttles, or factories, or weed.

If externalities like these are so pressing, why don't we do more than we do about drunk driving?

If I were asked what has a greater net (negative) impact on society, the externalities of smoking or those of drinking, 10 times out of 10 I'm going to say drinking.

The only things (with few exceptions) which can be properly termed crimes, are those acts which actively deprive others of their natural rights.

So for instance, merely having a certain style of firearm in an area which puts tight limitations on the ownership of firearms, is not (in my humble opinion) criminal. It's criminal technically because the state says it is, but ownership of the weapon has harmed no one, and can't reasonably be thought of as wrong until the weapon is used for some nefarious purpose.

It's the same way with smoking, or drugs or whatever.

The gov't thinks they have the right to suplant each individual's ability to decide what is best for them.

I'm fine with banning smoking in places where a reasonable person would have an expectation of being free from such vices. Places like, schools, hospitals, movie theaters, and restaraunts.

But trying to ban smoking in places where no expectation arises such as the bar, the sidewalk etc. smacks of "I know what's better for you than you do" nanny statism.
    yes especially the last line
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I think people should do what they want on their private property, and extend their guests any courtesy they deem necessary. Are we not adults? Can we not make these decisions on an individual basis?
    you're starting to sound like a libertarian
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    Onion News Network has the scoop on reducing teen smoking.

[YOUTUBE=82x9pzHkHK4]ONN[/YOUTUBE]
    lol this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. being gay I should be offended, but I mostly just find it humorously pathetic
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire