User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: Smoking Ban

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by WildCard View Post
    Our little town recently imposed a smoking ban. Now you can't smoke in ANY of the shops or within 25 feet of any store front. Now, this doesn't really bother me. What stokes me, however, is the fact that you can't be on the road and smoke. A cop can pull you over and give you a $250 fine for the first offense, the second is a $500 fine, and the third can be as high as $1200.

What's even better is that you can be on your own private property smoking, but if you're too close to the road, you can get a damn ticket.

I wasn't even aware of the ban until a cop pulled me over at three this morning because my passenger was smoking. We were told to put the cig out and that the next time we would get a fine.

Seriously. What the hell? What do you guys think?
    are you fucking kidding me? where do you live? you can't smoke outside of the bar? on the patio of a restaurant? in your car? that is plum crazy!! what about the smokers rights anyway...payin all that damn those damn taxes n shit...
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    are you fucking kidding me? where do you live? you can't smoke outside of the bar? on the patio of a restaurant? in your car? that is plum crazy!! what about the smokers rights anyway...payin all that damn those damn taxes n shit...
    Exactly. I'm not a smoker, but that is b.s. They are tax-paying Americans with the right to do unhealthy things in their car or on their property if they want. It's not like they're pointing industrial size smoke-stacks at their neighbors???
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Here in oregon, there's a statewide ban. Can't smoke on any public property or business, or within 10 feet of the business. I understand smoking bans in public parks because, obviously, they're public; banning smoking in businesses though is just government stepping over the line again. If a business loses customers because they allow smoking, isn't that their problem? I don't even smoke, except for an occasional cigar, maybe 3 or 4 times a year. When I do have it though, I'd like to be able to do it in the bar over a beer without the state stepping on me and telling me "that's bad for you." One, I don't care what you say. Two, it's only really a problem if you smoke in excess. An occasional cigar or cigarette is harmless. There've been studies which prove this. Obviously, most smokers do smoke in excess, but that's kind of irrelevant, isn't it?
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Banning smoking in public buildings and restaurants is fine.

But banning it in bars is, and will always be, ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Banning smoking in public buildings and restaurants is fine.

But banning it in bars is, and will always be, ridiculous.
    We have banned smoking not only indoors in bars and restaurants, but outdoors as well.

We all recognize that smoking is uniquely poisonous and addictive and the ban has been accepted without a murmur.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6-5

I've seen these new smokeless cigarettes on TV. Are they legit? That could be a solution to all this.
    Type 6w5 sp/so/sx I think..I have not fully explored this and just discovered it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioINTP View Post
    I've seen these new smokeless cigarettes on TV. Are they legit? That could be a solution to all this.
    Might as well just use a nicotine patch. Cigars and cigarettes aren't just nicotine delivery systems; some of us actually like the tobacco flavor.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioINTP View Post
    The electronic water vapor ones?

Think so, but if I remember right there were moves by some groups to ban them also.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    Might as well just use a nicotine patch. Cigars and cigarettes aren't just nicotine delivery systems; some of us actually like the tobacco flavor.
    Ever quit smoking for a year and then smelled on other people how the tobacco flavor really is ? I tell you, it's playing tricks on your mind
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

The other side of the argument is the fact that smoking harms others (many non smokers hate the smell at the very least), so one should only do so if one has the consent of all nearby. If this seems impractical, then don't smoke.

Seriously, smoking is one of the most annoying anti-social behaviours that is still common in our society.