User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Smoking Ban

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Little did we realize that one day Sharon Stone's line: "What are you going to do, charge me with smoking?" would become a serious issue.
    I remember that movie !!! This one, Terminator and Bambi were the ones that left me with incredible shocks about life in life back then
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

They banned smoking in bars here about five years ago, and I love it. No more coming home after a pleasant evening at a pub smelling of cigarettes.

To ban it in cars is absolutely preposterous though. It's your car you should be able to do whatever the hell you want in it. Same with your house: your house, your rules. Smoke tobacco all you want.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    They banned smoking in bars here about five years ago, and I love it. No more coming home after a pleasant evening at a pub smelling of cigarettes.

To ban it in cars is absolutely preposterous though. It's your car you should be able to do whatever the hell you want in it. Same with your house: your house, your rules. Smoke tobacco all you want.
    Yeah back before the laws changed and I was a dancer I fucking hated the smell of cigarettes in my hair and clothes, and I was a smoker myself...but the intensity is compacted when many people smoke in a public area.

I quit smoking several years ago and I am completely disgusted by indoor smoke (I used to smoke outside when I smoked, a lot of the time), but the car thing seems a bit extreme - as I say, I'd like to see statistics on that, if it's for a truly effective and rational purpose.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

The reason smoking is banned in bars & restaurants in some places instead of just contained to a smoking section is due to concern for the employees. It would be great if employees who smoked would only work those sections, but that is not reality. The reality is a business will force employees to work whatever is convenient to the employer, and if they don't, then those workers will lose their jobs. Since most don't feel the immediate effects of second hand smoke, they likely will cave & work those sections. So waitresses & bartenders who do not choose to smoke would end up being exposed to second-hand smoke, which rather violates a basic human need to breath clean air (and is arguably not safe working conditions). Now, I know you could argue that people who don't want exposure to second hand smoke simply should not take those jobs, but that's not realistic either. Most people don't get to cherry pick their job. They do what they can to make ends meet. These are not specialized jobs either. They are way too common & pay way too little to involve any kind of health risk. It's really not the "choice" it should be, and so the laws are seeking to protect a greater right than smoking, which is the health of other people & their right to reasonably safe working conditions.

Where I live, a smoker is generally free to smoke where their smoke does not infringe on the rights of others (so I can see your own car as being an acceptable place). There are smokers who are bright enough to get that without laws, but some people have to have it spelled out.

On a side note, I once read an article saying that bars & restaurants which allow smoking are way more likely to lose non-smoking customers than ones which ban smoking are to lose smokers. The smokers simply don't smoke when visiting that non-smoking business, but the non-smokers will go else where if there's smoke. So when it comes down to money, the favor is still with the businesses, or else you know they'd be fighting these laws a lot more. It always has to do with money....
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Yes and you can use money for many better things:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeHHHM7ltx4&feature=related"]xD[/YOUTUBE]
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    There are smokers who are bright enough to get that without laws, but some people have to have it spelled out.
    Actually I don't think I've ever met a smoker who didn't go out of their way to be polite about it.

Except some of the trashier cousins on my mum's side of the family. Blech. They were the sort to ask "Where the fuck's yer ash tray?"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I think everyone needs to take a fucking high school sociology class.
    I already did, as well as a college class. A civics or political science class would probably be better suited to the subject matter.

We are not talking about smoking in public buildings, we're talking about smoking on private property, a realm of voluntary interaction and exchange (for adults). And for the sake of arguement, let's say that we agreed to outlaw smoking in most private businesses as a matter of pragmaticism over principle; bars (businesses that essentially cater to unhealthy activities in the first place) do not provide enough direct employment for the arguement that legions of unskilled workers would be forced to work in smoking establishments to have much relevance.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    The reason smoking is banned in bars & restaurants in some places instead of just contained to a smoking section is due to concern for the employees. It would be great if employees who smoked would only work those sections, but that is not reality. The reality is a business will force employees to work whatever is convenient to the employer, and if they don't, then those workers will lose their jobs. Since most don't feel the immediate effects of second hand smoke, they likely will cave & work those sections. So waitresses & bartenders who do not choose to smoke would end up being exposed to second-hand smoke, which rather violates a basic human need to breath clean air (and is arguably not safe working conditions). Now, I know you could argue that people who don't want exposure to second hand smoke simply should not take those jobs, but that's not realistic either. Most people don't get to cherry pick their job. They do what they can to make ends meet. These are not specialized jobs either. They are way too common & pay way too little to involve any kind of health risk. It's really not the "choice" it should be, and so the laws are seeking to protect a greater right than smoking, which is the health of other people & their right to reasonably safe working conditions.

Where I live, a smoker is generally free to smoke where their smoke does not infringe on the rights of others (so I can see your own car as being an acceptable place). There are smokers who are bright enough to get that without laws, but some people have to have it spelled out.

On a side note, I once read an article saying that bars & restaurants which allow smoking are way more likely to lose non-smoking customers than ones which ban smoking are to lose smokers. The smokers simply don't smoke when visiting that non-smoking business, but the non-smokers will go else where if there's smoke. So when it comes down to money, the favor is still with the businesses, or else you know they'd be fighting these laws a lot more. It always has to do with money....
    Interesting. Then it does serve a practical purpose, after all.

Laws should be reasonable and benefit the maximum number of people, asking for anything else isn't "civil liberties" it's just childish whining for self-absorbed instant gratification...like my sister would smoke in my mom's minivan with kids in the car, even when my mother explicitly asked her not to. I guess my sister saw this as an infringment on her rights, but she's also not my most intelligent sister, either.

It has much more to do with reason than simple morality - and I think smokers would realize that themselves if they actually stopped thinking about their nicotene addiction and started thinking about broader, long-term consequences instead.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Well, you can always go to Russia and smoke. Like half of the adult population there smokes and cigarettes are like dirt cheap, including Marlboros.

However, the average age of death there is about ten years below ours.
    That's from the harder lifestyle, The coal burning and above ground nuclear testing.
    Their standard of living is nowhere near ours.
    Poverty and bad politics are the blame here my friend.

I will also add I quit smoking cigarettes on December 19th.. It had nothing do with anything but my own free will. No law was involved with my decision.

MBTI
    yupp

in memphis when the smoking ban in bars and resteraunts passed, the bars had a choice they could either ban smoking or make it 21 or older, guess what the bars did? made them 21 or older and continued to allow smoking.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so