Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Default Blood Diamonds

I was wondering what everyones take on the current situation in DR Congo are?
    Many will know the crisis the people are in but i wonder how many have looked into it and what their beliefs are regarding the lack of media attention and support from the west.
    I am attaching a brief description of one mans (and of course others) interpretations... thoughts?
    [YOUTUBE="NRJAxeAFpno"]Congo[/YOUTUBE]
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Gawsh, no one want to comment at all?
    I feel, for the most part, it's a pretty accurate depiction. But what i don't understand is how so many people are prepared to say that it's not happening, or that the west are doing all they can to help; Simultaneously backing the wests interest in places like Iraq and Lybia under the illusion of humantarian rights.
    Ok i'm ready to be attacked now....go
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    intp

No one really believes that we're in the Middle East for humanitarian reasons, do they? There is simply nothing to gain by interfering in Africa. There are only two things that will draw Western countries into this conflict in any meaningful way: A massive public outcry, which is unlikely this late in the game, or a threat/opportunity to Western interests, such as government seizure of significant resources owned by powerful outsiders or discovery of critical resources (metals, oil, etc), assuming the people should have the nerve to claim it as their own.

Diamonds aren't enough; not only are they essentially useless, but it is actually in the interests of Western countries to keep these gems out of their economies in order to perpetuate the artificially low supply.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Maybe not Iraq because the plug has already been pulled and publicly. Although i'm sure millions of people would still agree it was a good idea to invade in the circumstances...because they have been told so.
    I'm willing to bet a whole heap of people believe that future moves in places like Lybia are for humanitarian reasons. Or that the current troops in Afganistan are really there as peacekeeping forces.
    DR Congo is rich in a whole lot besides diamonds, primarily (wealth wise) Uranium. Did you watch (or rather listen to) the vid?
    Last edited by Betty Blue; 03-29-2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: clarity

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by dala View Post
    No one really believes that we're in the Middle East for humanitarian reasons, do they? There is simply nothing to gain by interfering in Africa. There are only two things that will draw Western countries into this conflict in any meaningful way: A massive public outcry, which is unlikely this late in the game, or a threat/opportunity to Western interests, such as government seizure of significant resources owned by powerful outsiders or discovery of critical resources (metals, oil, etc), assuming the people should have the nerve to claim it as their own.

Diamonds aren't enough; not only are they essentially useless, but it is actually in the interests of Western countries to keep these gems out of their economies in order to perpetuate the artificially low supply.
    I assume you're talking about gem diamonds for use in jewelry? I'm assuming that gem diamonds are the resource which is being fought over in this region, but it's not correct to say that diamonds in general are useless, or that "western" nations are likely to have a vested increase in keeping the supply low to increase value. Industrial diamonds, which constitute the majority of the world's production, are a hugely valuable commodity in their own right and have numerous uses in industry and science (for which often nothing else will serve, and the manufacture of diamonds is a prohibitively expensive process).

Otherwise I agree. There is little substance to the contemporary doctrine of "humanitarian intervention"; it mostly functions as a convenient propaganda tool by which the general public in the "democratic" nations of the west can be manipulated into giving the necessary support to military ventures which their governments have decided on for reasons they are less willing to publicise. Hence, no one should really be too surprised if it's applied in what appears to be an inconsistent manner.

Decisions on whether to intervene militarily are made according to considerations such as economic gain, increasing their political influence (ie neocolonialism), and occasionally to promote regional stability. "Humanitarianism" is not, by comparison, a cause to which powerful nations are willing to devote a large quantity of money or resources, or risk military losses, though the tendency of people to believe that it "should be" makes it an extremely convenient tool for mobilising public support once the decision has been taken for other reasons. Such is the way of the world.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...