User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post

I am curious why you're posting in a thread about Canadian politics when you're miles away from the border in a place that has very little in common with either liberal or conservative Canadian politics.
    Really?

Number one. You and many non Americans, Post about American politics and other world politics all the time.
    In fact the above quote by you, contains a comment about American Politics.
    Yes you are making a comparison. That is a comment about American Politics.
    What is your qualification to make this comparison?
    Why shouldn't an American be able to comment on Canadian Politics?.
    Why would you say the American Left and Right are so vastly different from the Canadian Left and Right?
    This is simply not true. The policies may vary, but then it's two different sovereign nations with different needs, this is known to happen when two nations are being compared.
    However the political spectrum is a "world wide" tool and is universal across the board. Left is left and right is right.
    Also, you have not questioned the "business" of any other American that has posted in this thread, for being here.
    Is it possible that is because only NG is disagreeing with you?

Some tough questions I am sure.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Is it possible that is because only NG is disagreeing with you?
    It has nothing to do with disagreeing and everything to do with going on a tirade that has nothing to do with logic, let alone Canadian politics.

It'd be just as silly for me or another non-american to go into the American politics threads and say "republicans are so dumb, I hate them and they do dumb things, they're a bunch of retards and nobody reasonable would ever vote for them!!!!" and then refuse to offer any intelligent arguments beyond that.

Some tough questions I am sure.
    Nope, just irrelevant.
    -end of thread-

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

It has nothing to do with disagreeing and everything to do with going on a tirade that has nothing to do with logic, let alone Canadian politics.

It'd be just as silly for me or another non-american to go into the American politics threads and say "republicans are so dumb, I hate them and they do dumb things, they're a bunch of retards and nobody reasonable would ever vote for them!!!!" and then refuse to offer any intelligent arguments beyond that.

Nope, just irrelevant.
    That's a very liberal (no pun intended) interpretation of what NG is/was saying.
    It's also open to debate if her post was logical. I wasn't aware of any monopolies on logic going on in this thread.

I certainly feel like you have just avoided everything I asked you.
    My questions remain and because they are not being treated with any relevance by you , does not make them void of relevance.
    I am not so sure you can speak to me about "logic" at this point.
    Logic and denial are paradoxical.
    You are practicing denial, not logic.

MBTI
    INTP

Ah, so you're more worried about the ambiguous wording of the law than about where exactly the line is set?
    I'm worried about both; the ambiguous wording makes a law that is already wide open to abuse by those in power that much worse. The most vital and fundamental rights that make all other rights possible (namely freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and equality under the law) should not be so casually dismissed, and it is dangerous to do so.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I'm worried about both; the ambiguous wording makes a law that is already wide open to abuse by those in power that much worse. The most vital and fundamental rights that make all other rights possible (namely freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and equality under the law) should not be so casually dismissed, and it is dangerous to do so.
    I agree with this. I think either extreme would be very bad (with the "big brother" end having more downsides than "anything goes", if only because the former can be taken to a more extreme place), and the line should be drawn carefully after considering the issue from multiple perspectives and rationales.

The current laws have resulted in an atmosphere that I appreciate, although I'd be wary of it becoming more restrictive.
    -end of thread-

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Are you an Albertan who take offense at the redneck characterization, or are you a redneck who don't think Alberta earned the title?
    I'm a Canadian (who also happens to be Albertan) who thinks it's appalling that petty namecalling and demonizing other Canadians is an accepted political strategy in this country. It's easier for a politician to buy votes from Ontario and Quebec by characterizing Albertans as 'rednecks' (and every connotation that comes with it) than it is to come up with coherent arguments and sound policies.

I also find it extremely hypocritical that most of the people who like to use these divisive jibes are the first to claim they're "true Canadians", that somehow putting down entire regions of this country is 'patriotic'. I'm sick of the political discourse in this country.

I don't particularly like Stephen Harper. He's about as charismatic as a turnip and comes across as deeply paranoid. I think his economic policies are short-sighted and more a byproduct of pandering to the other parties for 'compromise' than a result of good thinking and the proper analyses. I'm glad he's shoved the socially conservative wing of the party to the back burner (which was Preston Manning's downfall as leader of the Reform Party) because things like gay marriage are dead issues and aren't worth talking about.

Michael Ignatieff is an effete creep and his run at becoming Prime Minister is born of the thinking that the Liberal Party is "Canada's natural governing party" and not about doing anything different or 'good'. He's also about as charismatic as a root vegetable. The Liberals won't win, or at least shouldn't win, as a result of picking apart the Conservative government's policies because a great deal of them were crafted to get Liberal approval anyway. The Liberals bring nothing new to the table. The only reason we are even having an election right now is because the Liberals think it's a politically advantageous time. That's the reason we've had, what: four elections in seven years? What a waste of time and money.

I can't fathom why anyone with a job would ever vote for the NDP, but at least Jack Layton sticks to his guns and doesn't waffle on his position like Harper and Ignatieff. That the Bloc Québécois exists is a bit of a joke but I can't blame Quebeckers for creating a party that solely represents their interests. Like Layton at least Gilles Duceppe stands by his policies and doesn't compromise to curry favour and buy votes. (at least, not outside of Quebec)

All the other parties are pointless and exist for no other reason than as a protest vote. Including the Greens.

I ask the rhetorical question: why should I vote? Why should I vote at all? I'd never vote for the Green Party or NDP, and I don't trust the Conservatives or Liberals. Why bother? I consider myself economically conservative and socially liberal and not one party out there stands for what I believe in. I want the government to stay the hell out of my life and if I was in government I'd strive to stay the hell out of everyone else's life.

And what is this CRAP about Ann Coulter? The less attention paid to that attention whore the better.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    And what is this CRAP about Ann Coulter? The less attention paid to that attention whore the better.
    I decided several years ago that she's actually a liberal comedian and a troll (kind of like Stephen Colbert, but somehow getting away with it for long periods of time by never coming to the punch line) OR she's mentally ill.

She's an entertainer who panders to her audience. Nothing more. She'd go away if people would just stop paying attention.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Its about the issue, not the actor. I figured that was pretty self-evident, but apparently not...