User Tag List

First 678910 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

So you think people who push the boundaries of a law show that the law is heading in a bad direction?

Regardless of where the boundary is set, some people will push the boundary in one direction (by promoting hatred) while others will push it in the other direction (by suing in situations that aren't "obvious" hatred).

I think the outcome is extremely relevant. Why would it not be?

On October 10, 2008, the tribunal dismissed the complaint, stating that the Maclean's article did not violate the province's hate speech law
    Personally I agree that the complaint went too far, but then I don't think religions should necessarily be protected to the same degree as say, gender or race, since religion is (in theory) chosen freely.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I think the outcome is extremely relevant. Why would it not be?
    Because the threat of prosecution in itself creates the freezing effect, particularly on the part of people who cannot easily afford legal fees. Setting boundaries that are self-evidently subject to wide and subjective interpretation creates great potential for abuse.

MBTI
    infp

I like how little this thread is now relevant to the election that is in just over a month. Not that I care any more than anyone else seems to, I'm just saying haha. I thought a lot of people would want to discuss the actual platforms and such, because that is all coming out now!

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    This kind of bullshit rhetoric is precisely why I don't even care to vote anymore.
    Are you an Albertan who take offense at the redneck characterization, or are you a redneck who don't think Alberta earned the title?

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Logical, rational, healthy folks learn from their mistakes, become self-restrained, moral, and surrender to a higher authority (which includes God).
    In other words, they realize they are not smart enough to think for themselves.

Logical, rational, healthy, self-restrained folks consider the innocenct life that is the unborn child and opt not to support abortion.
    You are mistaken. It's the other way around.

A window to the soul

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I place a high premium on equal rights for all
    ^ Are all of the friendly posters in this thread that don't share your views or that don't live in your country grouped in that 'all' category too? It's hard to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Q: How do you tell the difference between a liberal and a conservative?
    A: Easy. Watch a man drowning fifty feet offshore.

The conservative will throw out 25 feet of rope and shout "swim for it!"

The liberal will toss out 50 feet of rope, drop his own end, and go off to do another good deed.
    ^

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Americans just want to be able to do whatever the fuck they want, whatever they want. It's arrogant and ironically a threat to the freedom of other people.
    ^ IMO, that's the scary irrational side of the liberal mind.

Shoosh, Y'all are going to wake up uncle Murphy with all of this liberal talk; at that point, anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Rawr liberals! I know many of you are well intentioned, but your arguments sound irrational to me. Combining a godless worldview and naive idealism to form a clever argument amounts to useless brilliance that ignores reality. One such naive idealism is a perfect world with perfect equality and freedom. It's those types of liberal fantasies that have proven to be the most dangerous delusions in our world's history, but yet liberals still desire to hold on to their fallacies where they find some type of irrational comfort. It's perplexing. Logical, rational, healthy folks learn from their mistakes, become self-restrained, moral, and surrender to a higher authority (which includes God). Logical, rational, healthy, self-restrained folks consider the innocenct life that is the unborn child and opt not to support abortion. Conservatism is *not* following a 'feel good' herd of sheeples aimlessly off the edge of a cliff! Conservatism is more like a passionate belief in the rewards of hard work, and innovation...

While the conservatives are relaxing happily in suburbia after a hard week of work, taking road trips with their families in their SUVs, sipping iced tea by the pool with friends, and thanking God every night for it all... Are the liberals fretting about entitlements to irrational things (i.e., right to abortion, right to smoke weed, suzy kicked me, jonny boy pulled my hair, nah nah)? and when things go wrong what then?? ...Let's run to the government for a tissue?? ....whaanh?

Thank God for the conservatives that are trying to save the liberals from themselves.
    Okay, now I'm really itching for confirmation.

You've never even stepped foot inside Canada, have you? Your cultural framework doesn't sound like any Canada I ever lived in.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Okay, now I'm really itching for confirmation.

You've never even stepped foot inside Canada, have you? Your cultural framework doesn't sound like any Canada I ever lived in.
    No ma'am. I live in Texas.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

^ Are all of the friendly posters in this thread that don't share your views or that don't live in your country grouped in that 'all' category too? It's hard to tell.
    Yep. Please point out where I implied in any way that any of the posters in this thread should have fewer civil rights or be discriminated against in any way. (fyi: disagreeing with you is not discrimination)

I am curious why you're posting in a thread about Canadian politics when you're miles away from the border in a place that has very little in common with either liberal or conservative Canadian politics. In any case, still waiting for you to point out all the logic in your previous argument. I'm sure you're right that it's there, I just can't see any of it whatsoever, so I'll need a little help.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Because the threat of prosecution in itself creates the freezing effect, particularly on the part of people who cannot easily afford legal fees. Setting boundaries that are self-evidently subject to wide and subjective interpretation creates great potential for abuse.
    Ah, so you're more worried about the ambiguous wording of the law than about where exactly the line is set? Since this freezing effect would happen no matter where the law is set. Even if there were no laws at all about it, I'm sure there would be some lawsuits trying to get a law in place.

I haven't read the actual legislation surrounding the issue (and don't intend to - not my idea of fun), so I can't disagree with you there.
    -end of thread-