User Tag List

First 56789 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    This forum, though, is the private property of an individual: someone can be banned, but would not face criminal prosecution for saying something unpopular.

In any event, this entire tangent started as an off-the-cuff example to illustrate that social conservatives with religious convictions are not a greater civil liberties threat than other societal groups.
    They are a far greater threat to civil liberties, if you don't consider all "civil liberties" equally. I don't place a very high premium on the right to propogate racial hatred. I place a high premium on equal rights for all genders, all racial groups, all religions and all sexual orientations. I place a high premium on the civil liberty of having laws that are not decided by a single religion's beliefs.

Of course, others disagree. That's what democracy is all about, in theory.
    -end of thread-

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

There is also a huge difference between 'incitement of hatred' and 'incitement of violence'; outlawing the former results in unequal protection in practice, grants authorities too much power over individuals, and generally just leaves to much open to subjective interpretation and therefore has great potential for abuse by those in power.
    However, if Canadians have different laws, that's fine. One of the things I fucking hate about Americans is how we attempt to impose our values on the rest of the world - it really fucking pisses me off - because everyone sits around here talking about "freedom" but they want to go to OTHER PEOPLE'S COUNTRIES and act however they damn well please. Well, what about the "freedom" of those countries to make their own laws and have their own culture?

Canadian laws violating free speech rights cracks me up...hoo boy. Just because they set the bar at a different place doesn't mean they're actually violating anyone. Ann Coulter can come back to the U.S. and talk all the shit she wants. It's not exactly a crying shame that she wasn't allowed to incite hatred toward Muslims in another country on a college campus, of all places.

Americans just want to be able to do whatever the fuck they want, whatever they want. It's arrogant and ironically a threat to the freedom of other people.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    They are a far greater threat to civil liberties, if you don't consider all "civil liberties" equally. I don't place a very high premium on the right to propogate racial hatred. I place a high premium on equal rights for all genders, all racial groups, all religions and all sexual orientations. I place a high premium on the civil liberty of having laws that are not decided by a single religion's beliefs.

Of course, others disagree. That's what democracy is all about, in theory.
    Careful; if the Canadian authorities ever decide to implement 'hate-speech' laws on an equitable basis, you could be investigated and brought on charges of 'inciting religious hatred'

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    However, if Canadians have different laws, that's fine. One of the things I fucking hate about Americans is how we attempt to impose our values on the rest of the world - it really fucking pisses me off - because everyone sits around here talking about "freedom" but they want to go to OTHER PEOPLE'S COUNTRIES and act however they damn well please.
    Advocating for the full protection of rights that one deems as 'universal' is hardly imposing values on someone else, its merely challenging them. I make no apologies for considering real freedom of speech to be one of the most important things in the world.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I doubt that. If that's your opinion, I don't think you've actually read the laws.
    -end of thread-

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Advocating for the full protection of rights that one deems as 'universal' is hardly imposing values on someone else, its merely challenging them. I make no apologies for considering real freedom of speech to be one of the most important things in the world.
    I think human physical safety and peaceful tolerance amongst groups takes higher priority over the right to verbally assault people. I mean, don't get me wrong, I value free speech too - but the line in which that "free speech" becomes dangerous is debatable and each nation has a right to democratically decide amongst their own citizens where that line is.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Q: How do you tell the difference between a liberal and a conservative?
    A: Easy. Watch a man drowning fifty feet offshore.

The conservative will throw out 25 feet of rope and shout "swim for it!"

The liberal will toss out 50 feet of rope, drop his own end, and go off to do another good deed.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I doubt that. If that's your opinion, I don't think you've actually read the laws.
    My quip was partially facetous, but not by as much as some may think: the quoted articles in previous posts outline some of the abuses that have already happened, here's some more detail on one of them (and no, the outcome does not excuse the fact that this episode was an abuse of power and infringement on free speech, which in turn creates a 'freezing effect' and a climate of self-censorship):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_r...n%27s_magazine

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

If you think Canada is abusing people and that Ann Coulter is some kind of victim, you really should read the world news a bit more. There are far more deplorable things going on in the world, I can assure you.

This entire conversation strikes me as silly, like I almost find what you're saying laughable. Your opinion to me seems extremist and paranoid.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    There are far more deplorable things going on in the world, I can assure you.
    No kidding, I kinda noted that in one of my earlier posts. By the same token, there are far worse things than the agenda of religious conservatives in Canada.