First 1234513 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    this statement I agree with.

but.................Jack Layton and the NDP vote could fix the present problem if directed eficciently.
    I voted for Ed Broadbent once. The NDP has some good leaders , just bad party politics.

MBTI
    ISTJ

I'm not sure if you have been lving outside of Canada for a long period but from what I have seen, king Harper choses what media rep he will speak with and what all his minions will say and to what media.

this smells bad to me as well as pretty well all the other laws he ignores or rewrites.
    democracy isn't the first thing that comes to my mind when Harper's government is part of the discussion.
    I don't like Ignatieff but I hope he can represent Canada better than the present leader, to call Harper a federalist is a real stretch but everyone is entitle to their opinion.

our elected MPs overthrowing a minority government is pretty good representation in my books. my local riding was won by less than 50 votes and went to Harper last election and hopefully this mistake will be repaired this time. there were 3 other ridings that were close calls for Harpers government locally last time also. should make an interesting election?

I don't care who people vote for, it is their democratic right. more people need to exercise that right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    I'm not sure if you have been lving outside of Canada for a long period but from what I have seen, king Harper choses what media rep he will speak with and what all his minions will say and to what media.

this smells bad to me as well as pretty well all the other laws he ignores or rewrites.
    democracy isn't the first thing that comes to my mind when Harper's government is part of the discussion.
    I don't like Ignatieff but I hope he can represent Canada better than the present leader, to call Harper a federalist is a real stretch but everyone is entitle to their opinion.

our elected MPs overthrowing a minority government is pretty good representation in my books. my local riding was won by less than 50 votes and went to Harper last election and hopefully this mistake will be repaired this time. there were 3 other ridings that were close calls for Harpers government locally last time also. should make an interesting election?

I don't care who people vote for, it is their democratic right. more people need to exercise that right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    As matter of fact I spent most of the last decade in the UK, I don't watch TV and rarely read the newspapers.
    I listen to talk radio at work and this is about it right now. I get a right wing show and left wing show during my shift and that's the extent of my politics these days.. BUT I just look at their faces and I trust my judgements.. it's in the eyes.
    Layton then Harper.. Iggy is a creep.

MBTI
    INTj

Keep in mind that the Canadian conservatives are more similar to the Democrats than the Republicans.

I tend to agree with more of Harper's policies than that of the other parties. He tried to get rid of the wasteful gun registry. He resisted the implementation of the totally impractical Kyoto accord that the previous government signed on to. He resisted intervening on behalf of the Canadian Talibans. He did not push for some of the more socially conservative agendas. I hope he gets a majority so that he can undo some of the policies of the previous Chretien government.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    He did not push for some of the more socially conservative agendas.
    I was pleasantly surprised to see this. Although I'm not sure if it would continue if he gets a majority...he's had to be careful with a minority, of course.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    But what about the fact that the majority of MPs voted him in contempt of government? That's a federal crime, to withhold information. Doesn't that bother you?

He's also framing this as if the other parties are the problem here. He committed a federal crime, they called him out, and Harper doesn't even talk to the press afterward?....Democracy is based on the people collectively making a decision. The nation collectively, via their elected MPs, decided he's committed a federal crime....I find Harper's style of leadership really distressing.
    It's not just that Harper was withholding information but it was fraudulant. So much for a transparent government that was promised in his previous election platform.

I too find his leadership style distressing borderlining a dictatorship style.

I also just found out that the fighter jet contract was untendered which floored me. A tendered contract is suppose to insure that Canadians are getting a good deal and not his buddies or kickbacks.

The reason that we, as a country, are doing generally well in this economic downturn, is from the previous Liberal party fiscal management and bank laws. Harper can not take credit for this even tho his party (and Canada) benefited from it.

Let's not forget that Harper strongly dislikes Ontario even tho he realizes that if you are going to rule this country, you need to win Ontario and Quebec. This is an ugly truth of Representation by Population that is our political history.

As well I don't trust the fact that Harper is a fundamentalist christian.

As for a coalition government by the Liberals, lets just remember that now we are in election mode. The Liberals (or any party for that matter) do not need to make a coalition government if they win a majority. And if they win a minority government, they can work with the other parties without a coalition to bring about changes which the Harper government can't seem to do. So don't buy the Conservative party's fears of a coalition government.
    4w5

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised to see this. Although I'm not sure if it would continue if he gets a majority...he's had to be careful with a minority, of course.
    I was suspicious of him at first, but I'm convinced that his economic agenda comes first. I don't think an American styled religious right candidate can stay in power too in Canada. They have trouble even in red neck Alberta where I lived for a while.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

The difference between liberalism in and conservatism in Canada.

A conservative says.. " I like snowmobiles, if you don't, don't buy one, Stay away from where people ride snowmobiles and if you feel they are unsafe, advise the people you care for, about the possible dangers of not respecting those dangers. I enjoy having a choice and a good time and so should you"

A liberal says " I don't like snowmobiles, so nobody should have one. And if I get my way, no one is going to have one and if people argue, I will claim it's for the environment and then I'll drive to my 3 floor 6 bedroom home in my SUV and write a blog about the injustices of the world and how YOU aren't doing enough about it."

Now before anybody goes.. But Liberals ride snowmobiles and conservatives live in big houses and drive SUVs.. The message is in the attitudes not the content. The content is demonstrative in it's propose only.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Countrygirl, why would the Harper's religion make a difference to you? (I'm not saying that in a confrontational way, but because I want to better understand your perspective). I mean, if Harper was any other religion than conservative Christian, would it bother you? He's not running on a religious platform, and has repeatedly stated that he doesn't plan to take on issues that many would consider as those belonging to the religious right.

I do feel that our belief system influences what decisions we make and how we lead. However, it bothers me no end to see people not investigating the religious beliefs of ALL candidates across the board so that they are making an informed choice. Would you have any worries about a leader who was Catholic? What about Muslim? What about atheist or agnostic? What about Hindu or Buddhist? Wouldn't all of these have differing effects on the values and assumptions of those who subscribe to those belief systems?

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    The difference between liberalism in and conservatism in Canada.

A conservative says.. " I like snowmobiles, if you don't, don't buy one, Stay away from where people ride snowmobiles and if you feel they are unsafe, advise the people you care for, about the possible dangers of not respecting those dangers. I enjoy having a choice and a good time and so should you"

A liberal says " I don't like snowmobiles, so nobody should have one. And if I get my way, no one is going to have one and if people argue, I will claim it's for the environment and then I'll drive to my 3 floor 6 bedroom home in my SUV and write a blog about the injustices of the world and how YOU aren't doing enough about it."
    A conservative says "I don't like abortions, so nobody should have one".
    A conservative says "I don't like gay marriage, so nobody should have one".
    A conservative says "I don't like stem cell research, so nobody should do it".

(but to Harper's credit, he hasn't touched these...so far at least. Some conservatives in the country are very unhappy about that, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Would you have any worries about a leader who was Catholic? What about Muslim? What about atheist or agnostic? What about Hindu or Buddhist? Wouldn't all of these have differing effects on the values and assumptions of those who subscribe to those belief systems?
    Yes, Yes, no, probably not. Although the average catholic is less "religious" in my experience, and therefore less worrying than the average fundamentalist Christian. A lot of fundamentalist Christians (I know many personally) seem to have this drive to force as many people as possible to live a "christian" lifestyle, so it's worrying when it's the government. Same thing for fundamentalist Muslims. I don't see Hindus or Buddists pushing their beliefs or lifestyles on others, although that's not to say it doesn't or couldn't happen.

He's said that he won't touch the social issues, but does he really look like someone you can trust? (I don't think anyone in politics is trustworthy in general, actually). I think he would in a heartbeat if he wouldn't lose votes over it, which hopefully remains the case.
    -end of thread-