User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

Results 141 to 150 of 166

  1. #141
    Reason vs Being ragashree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    1,770

    Default

    I had not the faintest idea of how fractious and polarised Canadian politcs was until I read some of this thread. I'd vaguely assumed that it was mostly, at least in Anglophone areas, about dull bureaucrats holding desultory discussions about lumber production percentages and urban beautification projects in obscure senate buildings, while everyone went off to watch the hockey or something. Now I actually feel semi-informed.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

  2. #142
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    You are the only person I know that has a 'fondness' for Mulroney! His party (Progressive Conservative) was almost elimated from Parliment (only two seats) and did not make a come back until they joined with the Reform and Alliance to become the Conservative Party.
    Trudeau, Mulroney and Chretien started to do stupid things after their egos got inflated from being in power too long. Their damage needed to be undone by the next government. That is my primary reason for wanting a Conservative majority for a few years.

  3. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    I had not the faintest idea of how fractious and polarised Canadian politcs was until I read some of this thread. I'd vaguely assumed that it was mostly, at least in Anglophone areas, about dull bureaucrats holding desultory discussions about lumber production percentages and urban beautification projects in obscure senate buildings, while everyone went off to watch the hockey or something. Now I actually feel semi-informed.

    Naw.. That's all true. We also live on Donuts and drive dog pulled sleighs to work in the forest everyday.

  4. #144
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    ^ Oh and we do have paved roads too ... I kid you not, one of my new American acquaintances thought otherwise ..
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

  5. #145
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    You are the only person I know that has a 'fondness' for Mulroney! His party (Progressive Conservative) was almost elimated from Parliment (only two seats) and did not make a come back until they joined with the Reform and Alliance to become the Conservative Party.



    A strong dollar only make exporting harder since other countries may not afford the cost. Free Trade benefited the State not Canada (that I know of) and once that source of federal income was gone he placed a tax (Goods and Services Tax - GST for short) on the people.

    As for proof of our relative recession, I most attribute that mostly to the previous Liberal government with their fiscal management and bank laws they implimented.

    I would be interested not in why the Liberal suck for you but the platforms that appeal to you from the Conservative. Granted my political decision is not well informed (anything is better than the unethical and slimy plays in Parliment that Harper pulled) as I may well be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.
    Hmm.. I am not sure I am fond of Mulroney himself, I just believe his vision for the future of Canada was obviously misunderstood at the time.

    I am not sure how Free Trade was more a benefit to the USA.
    Their market is 10 times the size of ours.

  6. #146
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Hmm.. I am not sure I am fond of Mulroney himself, I just believe his vision for the future of Canada was obviously misunderstood at the time.
    Some of his economic policies were reasonable, but his attempt to enshrine his name into the history books by ramming through short sighted and unjust constitutional amendments was pathetic. Trudeau redeemed himself by campaigning against those changes. I'm glad Mulroney and his vision was soundly rejected in the referendum.

  7. #147
    Senior Member countrygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Hmm.. I am not sure I am fond of Mulroney himself, I just believe his vision for the future of Canada was obviously misunderstood at the time.

    I am not sure how Free Trade was more a benefit to the USA.
    Their market is 10 times the size of ours.
    Americans don't buy much stuff from us. They buy it from 3rd world countries because the labour is cheap. Labour from Canada isn't cheap.

    Americans want our raw materials and don't want to pay taxes (tariffs) on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Some of his economic policies were reasonable, but his attempt to enshrine his name into the history books by ramming through short sighted and unjust constitutional amendments was pathetic. Trudeau redeemed himself by campaigning against those changes. I'm glad Mulroney and his vision was soundly rejected in the referendum.
    I agree and he had the balls to call Canadians stupid for rejecting it.
    4w5

  8. #148
    Senior Member countrygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Trudeau, Mulroney and Chretien started to do stupid things after their egos got inflated from being in power too long. Their damage needed to be undone by the next government. That is my primary reason for wanting a Conservative majority for a few years.
    But what Conservative ideas appeal to you?
    4w5

  9. #149
    Member Homer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    ^ Oh and we do have paved roads too ... I kid you not, one of my new American acquaintances thought otherwise ..
    since we are off topic here I might as well get in a plug for Canadian paved roads. this one should impress the progress minded people south of the Canadian border.

    the highway 401 corridor through Toronto is the heaviest travelled stretch of road in Norht America. combined truck and auto traffic . surprized? don't be.................

    paved roads are great but there is nothing like a good crop tourand the gravel roads are getting pretty rare around here!

  10. #150
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    Americans don't buy much stuff from us. They buy it from 3rd world countries because the labour is cheap. Labour from Canada isn't cheap.

    Americans want our raw materials and don't want to pay taxes (tariffs) on it.



    I agree and he had the balls to call Canadians stupid for rejecting it.
    We do 75.5% of all our exporting to USA. Our next highest trade partners are the UK. 3.7% and China 3.0%

    In return, 50% of the goods coming in are from the USA.. Advantage.. Canada

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Canada



    As for Mulroney, Lac Meech Accord notwithstanding, His economic vision for the future is what I am talking about. His need to be remembered as the greatest PM ever, was obnoxious.

Similar Threads

  1. [ISTP] In praise of ISTP's
    By substitute in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 01-15-2017, 04:15 PM
  2. [INFP] In praise of INFP's
    By substitute in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 212
    Last Post: 05-20-2016, 02:10 PM
  3. list of functions in order of awesomeness
    By Prometheus in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 07-09-2009, 12:55 AM
  4. Okay we have one kitty in need of a name
    By Xander in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 03-17-2008, 12:02 PM
  5. [ENFP] ENFP changes her clothing and hair right in front of me.
    By Yomama99 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 04:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO