User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    There are extremists everywhere my dear. America is more free and has more freedom of speech, so these extremists are allowed to speak .. IN Canada they are not. That is the only difference.

Nice map! However, the PC Party no longer exist. It is now the Conservative Party which was 3 different party, one being the Alliance (Harper's old party name from Alberta), the Reform Party (which was a regional party from Sask. previous leader Preston Manning) and the Progressive Conservative Party.

As much as some posters might hate regional politics, it is a reality in our politics because different regions have different needs, lanugages, religious view points, and natural resources. However, it is a political tactic to use regional difference for political votes.

Those extremist are allowed to speak. It's just that if you are not an official party you get no air time for debates and mostly likely newspapers will not interview you plus you will not be listed on the voting poll.

Ah yes, I see where I made my mistake on where the Conservative Party is on the political spectrum.
    4w5

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    What issue? There is no issue. You're trying to create an issue out of thin air, babbling about "Canadian laws violate freedom of speech".
    Its an issue whether you recognize it or not; an interesting thing about this issue is that it largely transcends the left-right divisions in the United States (you will notice that my links refer to people from a wide range of political viewpoints, some of which rather explicitly despise Ann Coulter-whose analysis I personally view as simplistic at best, demagogic at worst), unlike certain other issues where the United States differs from Canada, such as guns, health-care, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    Nice map! However, the PC Party no longer exist. It is now the Conservative Party which was 3 different party, one being the Alliance (Harper's old party name from Alberta), the Reform Party (which was a regional party from Sask. previous leader Preston Manning) and the Progressive Conservative Party.

The Reform Party was founded in Alberta, not Saskatchewan.

(Preston Manning is from Edmonton; his father Ernest was Premier of Alberta from 1943 to 1968.)

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Its an issue whether you recognize it or not; an interesting thing about this issue is that it largely transcends the left-right divisions in the United States (you will notice that my links refer to people from a wide range of political viewpoints, some of which rather explicitly despise Ann Coulter-whose analysis I personally view as simplistic at best, demagogic at worst), unlike certain other issues where the United States differs from Canada, such as guns, health-care, etc.
    What does any of this have to do with the forthcoming election in Canada?

MBTI
    INTP

Like I already said in an earlier post, it was an off-the-cuff example of why religious conservatives are not a particularly greater threat to civil liberties than other groups in Canada; it developed into a tangent from that point.

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

The Reform Party was founded in Alberta, not Saskatchewan.

(Preston Manning is from Edmonton; his father Ernest was Premier of Alberta from 1943 to 1968.)
    Well there you have it. Thanks for the correction.
    4w5

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

Absolutely nothing since it's not a priority in Canadian values the way the Americans value it. However, I thought it was a good debate and shows how different culutres value different things and how it influences a country's politics.
    4w5

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

There are extremists everywhere my dear. America is more free and has more freedom of speech, so these extremists are allowed to speak .. IN Canada they are not. That is the only difference.
    Are you talking about laws against hate speech? Yes, Canada, does have laws banning hate speech. In America, under the First Amendment, newspapers and magazines can say false, provocative or hateful things about any ethnic group, minority or religion without legal consequence. Although I admire the openness to an individual's right to say anything, I guess what I find troubling is that the media can basically lie to people and are legally protected in doing so. And problematically, some people don't perform their own "due diligence" tests to try to separate the lies from the truths. If certain propaganda is peddled long enough, hard enough, people come to believe it without question, like a herd mentality.

I guess the question is, is it reasonable to have protections in place to attempt to foster an atmosphere of mutual respect against certain forms of vicious attack? Which is a whole new thread.
    Last edited by PeaceBaby; 04-03-2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: typo
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I guess what I find troubling is that the media can basically lie to people and are legally protected in doing so. And problematically, some people don't perform their own "due diligence" tests to try to separate the lies from the truths. If certain propaganda is peddled long enough, hard enough, people come to believe it without question, like a herd mind.
    @ Peacebaby. (Love the new avatar ) You are correct that this is a huge thread derailment. But I will quickly comment.
    Banning free speech creates the exact same thing though.
    Think about it, it's still thought control. Still control over the flow of information. Denial is a form of lying.
    And people come to believe anything if it's peddled long enough.
    Political correctness is great example of Free speech reversed.
    However it uses the exact same methods you have described.

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well I am a liberal, but I am voting for Harper so figure that one out

I also remember Mulroney quite fondly.. And being alive for both mens times in office I can assure you, Canada had a much stronger love affair with Trudeau than they did with Mulroney.
    You are the only person I know that has a 'fondness' for Mulroney! His party (Progressive Conservative) was almost elimated from Parliment (only two seats) and did not make a come back until they joined with the Reform and Alliance to become the Conservative Party.

Mulroney is loathed.. But today our dollar is stronger that the USD because of Free Trade with the USA , the whole economical boom of the 90's and Canada's relative recession proof economy in the 2000's are because of Free Trade.
    A strong dollar only make exporting harder since other countries may not afford the cost. Free Trade benefited the State not Canada (that I know of) and once that source of federal income was gone he placed a tax (Goods and Services Tax - GST for short) on the people.

As for proof of our relative recession, I most attribute that mostly to the previous Liberal government with their fiscal management and bank laws they implimented.

I would be interested not in why the Liberal suck for you but the platforms that appeal to you from the Conservative. Granted my political decision is not well informed (anything is better than the unethical and slimy plays in Parliment that Harper pulled) as I may well be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.
    4w5