User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

Results 121 to 130 of 166

  1. #121
    Senior Member countrygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Obviously not all that great a Canadian: "Trudeau voted worst Canadian in 'unscientific' online poll"

    We had sovereignty, a Bill of Rights (most of which was copied verbatim to create the Charter) and most of what ended up in our constitution (the BNA Act, Constitution Acts up to 1975, the Alberta Act, Saskatchewan Act, the Newfoundland Act, the English Bill of Rights from 1689, the Statute of Westminster, blah blah blah) before 1982. All he did in 1982 was package everything we had up to then and called it "Constitution Act, 1982". The ONLY thing that Trudeau added to our legislation was an amendment formula. That's it.

    Like I said, Liberals remember him fondly and everyone else hated him.
    I don't disagree with the love/hate relationship of Trudeau, but by your very statement of condensing everything, didn't that modernize Canada? Or brought all that stuff up to date?
    4w5

  2. #122
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    N-N-N-O-O-O!!!!!!!! *discreetly wipes eggs off face*


    EDIT: Yes he lives is Calgary and so is his riding. Which made me assume he was from there. Nevertheless, he is an Albertian.

    I thought he didn't like Ontarioians. I need to investigate it further.
    *sigh*

    You know instead of trying to figure out where he's 'from', whether he's Albertan and "doesn't like Ontarioians [sic]", maybe you should remember HE'S CANADIAN.

    It's times like these where I step back and ask myself "HOLY FUCK, am I the only one who thinks this regionalist bullshit is pointless and stupid?"

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Obviously not all that great a Canadian: "Trudeau voted worst Canadian in 'unscientific' online poll"

    We had sovereignty, a Bill of Rights (most of which was copied verbatim to create the Charter) and most of what ended up in our constitution (the BNA Act, Constitution Acts up to 1975, the Alberta Act, Saskatchewan Act, the Newfoundland Act, the English Bill of Rights from 1689, the Statute of Westminster, blah blah blah) before 1982. All he did in 1982 was package everything we had up to then and called it "Constitution Act, 1982". The ONLY thing that Trudeau added to our legislation was an amendment formula. That's it.

    Like I said, Liberals remember him fondly and everyone else hated him.
    Well I am a liberal, but I am voting for Harper so figure that one out

    I also remember Mulroney quite fondly.. And being alive for both mens times in office I can assure you, Canada had a much stronger love affair with Trudeau than they did with Mulroney.

  4. #124
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    I don't disagree with the love/hate relationship of Trudeau, but by your very statement of condensing everything, didn't that modernize Canada? Or brought all that stuff up to date?
    No, he didn't condense anything. Read Part VII of the Constitution (http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/const/const1982.html#VII). It says in non-legalese "the Constitution of Canada is comprised of the Constitution Act, 1982 [which was basically just the Charter, which was basically a slightly rewritten version of the old Bill of Rights] and this big long list of other acts of legislation dating back to over a hundred years ago. Pretty much all of these old pieces of legislation are still in effect."

  5. #125
    Senior Member countrygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    *sigh*

    You know instead of trying to figure out where he's 'from', whether he's Albertan and "doesn't like Ontarioians [sic]", maybe you should remember HE'S CANADIAN.

    It's times like these where I step back and ask myself "HOLY FUCK, am I the only one who thinks this regionalist bullshit is pointless and stupid?"
    Aww. I was just playing. Yes, he's Canadian but I don't like how he plays politics. And you've already explained your view.
    4w5

  6. #126
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Well I am a liberal, but I am voting for Harper so figure that one out

    I also remember Mulroney quite fondly.. And being alive for both mens times in office I can assure you, Canada had a much stronger love affair with Trudeau than they did with Mulroney.
    I never said Mulroney was beloved. I'd wager we hate all our recent Prime Ministers to one degree or another save Joe Clark, John Turner and Kim Campbell, simply because they weren't in power long enough to fuck things up and incite our enmity.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    No, he didn't condense anything. Read Part VII of the Constitution (http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/const/const1982.html#VII). It says in non-legalese "the Constitution of Canada is comprised of the Constitution Act, 1982 [which was basically just the Charter, which was basically a slightly rewritten version of the old Bill of Rights] and this big long list of other acts of legislation dating back to over a hundred years ago. Pretty much all of these old pieces of legislation are still in effect."
    OK You hate Trudeau.. we get it. Anything else.

    Just out of curiosity how old are you?.. I ask because if you weren't alive during his time in office, I think it's possible you have been reading some very slanted versions of history that I was actually alive for and will have to disagree with your version of events.

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I never said Mulroney was beloved. I'd wager we hate all our recent Prime Ministers to one degree or another save Joe Clark, John Turner and Kim Campbell, simply because they weren't in power long enough to fuck things up and incite our enmity.
    Mulroney is loathed.. But today our dollar is stronger that the USD because of Free Trade with the USA , the whole economical boom of the 90's and Canada's relative recession proof economy in the 2000's are because of Free Trade.

  9. #129
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    You've never even stepped foot inside Canada, have you? Your cultural framework doesn't sound like any Canada I ever lived in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    No ma'am. I live in Texas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Why would you say the American Left and Right are so vastly different from the Canadian Left and Right?
    This is simply not true.
    Yes they are different actually, and Nerd Girl's post are indicative of an American view of the right (conservative vs liberal) rather than what exists in Canada. Having lived in America now myself, it's clear how much farther right the American right veers compared to Canada's right.

    Canada's right is sort of near the middle compared to some of the views here in America!


    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Uh, yeah they do. These very terms can mean completely different things in different places. They ARE an invention, and that standard is not world wide. You're assuming that your left is another country's left. This is not always the case, because countries don't have a standard functioning "ocrary," whether that be democratic or whatever-cratic. Neo-liberalism, whateverism . . . They reorder and recontextualize what it is to be on a political spectrum.

    Most of us Canadians here were able to see that Nerd Girl had never been in Canada because the way in which she interpreted our political spectrum was not true to our country's politics. It's not a value-judgment but a truth-judgment: she's clearly an outsider in the way that I am living in the U.S.: I have markers that give away my ignorance because I'm not an insider.

    You're the one saying it's universal, and ironically, you're the ethnocentric while trying to include everyone in this discussion equally. It's a conclusion predicated on a false assumption that we're all equally able to discuss this subject matter. We're not. She hasn't done enough research to know why she's an outsider, but insiders can mark her as an outsider because she's missing cultural knowledge. Just like people can mark me as an outsider where I am.
    Yes, no offense to Nerd Girl as of course all are welcome to post, but this is well stated. Generally, I find most Americans know little or next to nothing about Canada. It's a little startling at times, to be honest.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    There are extremists everywhere my dear. America is more free and has more freedom of speech, so these extremists are allowed to speak .. IN Canada they are not. That is the only difference.


Similar Threads

  1. [ISTP] In praise of ISTP's
    By substitute in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 01-15-2017, 04:15 PM
  2. [INFP] In praise of INFP's
    By substitute in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 212
    Last Post: 05-20-2016, 02:10 PM
  3. list of functions in order of awesomeness
    By Prometheus in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 07-09-2009, 12:55 AM
  4. Okay we have one kitty in need of a name
    By Xander in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 03-17-2008, 12:02 PM
  5. [ENFP] ENFP changes her clothing and hair right in front of me.
    By Yomama99 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 04:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO