User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    It doesn't accurately illustrate anything, and the fact that you think it does is insulting. Are you even listening to what you're saying? You just called me a redneck. You don't know a fucking thing about me, and you just called me a redneck.

*sigh*
    It's not about you. You could be a bleeding heart liberal or a bible thumper, for all I care. Are you denying that Alberta tends to have a right leaning, economically and socially conservative perspective when compared to Ontario?

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

In August of 1982 Trudeau was travelling through BC on a holiday. He was using two luxury rail coaches 'loaned' to him from the Governor General, connected to the back of a Via Rail train. While passing through Salmon Arm he was greeted by three protesters: Doug Hughes, his wife Barb, and his friend Dave Martinuk. All three were BC government workers on strike. They were protesting Trudeau's threats to reintroduce price and wage controls (as he had in the mid '70s, breaking an election promise from 1974 in the process), all while Trudeau vacationed in a plush rail car.

He flipped the bird to the three of them in succession and the drew the shutters on the windows closed.

It set off a furore. Trudeau seemed completely oblivious to the economic hardships being borne by the average Canadian as he travelled in the lap of luxury on the taxpayers' dime, and he disdainfully dismissed them with the most profane hand gesture possible.

By the time he reached Rogers Pass people were pelting the train with tomatoes as it passed. In Banff, Canmore and Calgary people threw eggs. In Sudbury and Orillia (this wasn't just a Western Canadian thing!) people threw rocks.

It was perfectly emblematic of how little Trudeau cared. Liberal enclaves in Ontario remember Trudeau fondly; everywhere else in this country he is one of the most hated men.
    Wow! I don't even know what to say. Except that Trudeau's actions are deplorable. Why does Ontario remember him fondly?

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    I don't consider that to be bad. I often think Canadians often try to hard to differentiate themselves from the Americans.
    This is true. Simply because we are a different culture with different values and different histories.

The National Energy Program nearly destroyed the Alberta economy during the 80s. It essentially took oil revenue from Alberta and handed it over to Ontario and Quebec, where most of the voters are. It created much of the resentment in that region.
    Ah. Hense Harper's revenge on Ontario by changing the equalization payment plans. Didn't Harper make an agreement with Newfoundland's oil production only to completely ignore the agreement inciting abject hatred from Newfoundland's Priemer?
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    It's not about you. You could be a bleeding heart liberal or a bible thumper, for all I care. Are you denying that Alberta tends to have a right leaning, economically and socially conservative perspective when compared to Ontario?
    In the jingoistic political diatribes that are popular in this country, sure. In reality you would find most Albertans are moderate on every political 'issue' we have.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Trudeau was a statesman and a true world celebrity. He put Canada on the world stage.

And he was a Liberal.. and much of what Canadians enjoy today was brought to you by Trudeau.
    And to define his tenure as Prime Minister by one act, is distasteful and a smear on the greatest Canadians in our history.

We were just a British province. Trudeau got us our sovereignty, our own constitution and a our charter of human rights.
    He is the Father of Modern Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    Wow! I don't even know what to say. Except that Trudeau's actions are deplorable. Why does Ontario remember him fondly?
    Beats the hell out of me!

Ah. Hense Harper's revenge on Ontario by changing the equalization payment plans. Didn't Harper make an agreement with Newfoundland's oil production only to completely ignore the agreement inciting abject hatred from Newfoundland's Priemer?
    Why the hell would Harper want to "get revenge" on Ontario? HE'S FROM TORONTO!

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Trudeau was a statesman and a true world celebrity. He put Canada on the world stage.

And he was a Liberal.. and much of what Canadians enjoy today was brought to you by Trudeau.
    4w5

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

Beats the hell out of me!

Why the hell would Harper want to "get revenge" on Ontario? HE'S FROM TORONTO!
    Do you realize those are fighting words?

But seriously, do you have any proof/links? I've always thought he was from Alberta!
    4w5

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Born April 30, 1959 (age 51)
    Toronto, Ontario

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Harper

His private residence is in Calgary

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

Born April 30, 1959 (age 51)
    Toronto, Ontario

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Harper

N-N-N-O-O-O!!!!!!!! *discreetly wipes eggs off face*

EDIT: Yes he lives is Calgary and so is his riding. Which made me assume he was from there. Nevertheless, he is an Albertian.

I thought he didn't like Ontarioians. I need to investigate it further.
    4w5

And to define his tenure as Prime Minister by one act, is distasteful and a smear on the greatest Canadians in our history.

We were just a British province. Trudeau got us our sovereignty, our own constitution and a our charter of human rights.
    He is the Father of Modern Canada.
    Obviously not all that great a Canadian: "Trudeau voted worst Canadian in 'unscientific' online poll"

We had sovereignty, a Bill of Rights (most of which was copied verbatim to create the Charter) and most of what ended up in our constitution (the BNA Act, Constitution Acts up to 1975, the Alberta Act, Saskatchewan Act, the Newfoundland Act, the English Bill of Rights from 1689, the Statute of Westminster, blah blah blah) before 1982. All he did in 1982 was package everything we had up to then and called it "Constitution Act, 1982". The ONLY thing that Trudeau added to our legislation was an amendment formula. That's it.

Like I said, Liberals remember him fondly and everyone else hated him.