Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I know someone who owns a pink gun.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/22...home-invasion/

Since no one else posted it...

Here's a link to a photo of her holding the gun while modeling a her corset and black lace stockings.

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/03...11-news-front/
    I'm not sorry the home invader got his comeuppance, but her desire to propel her modeling career on the wake of his death is repellant. What a cheap opportunist.

The criminal's family must be feeling pretty sick right about now.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTP

Go into a sporting goods store, and you'll see lots of stupid-looking pink stuff amongst the guns and camo. Here's one example:

Something Witty

figsfiggyfigs

Am I the only one that doesn't care she used this to excel her career? Who gives a shiz if she used some azzholes death to up her modeling career? Cheap opportunist? So what? It seems to be working for her, and she's making her life easier. Why not ?

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    It seems to be working for her, and she's making her life easier. Why not ?
    It's that whole 'do the ends always justify the means' kinda discussion. I vote no, but I know others disagree.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTP

Am I the only one that doesn't care she used this to excel her career? Who gives a shiz if she used some azzholes death to up her modeling career? Cheap opportunist? So what? It seems to be working for her, and she's making her life easier. Why not ?
    I'm torn on this subject. On one hand, I can't blame her for seizing an opportunity, given she's a performer anyway, and it's hard to get a slice of public attention, with so many people trying to make it in her business.

On the other hand, I'm really, really tired of the current trend of "get in the public eye any way you can, then milk it for all it's worth, cluttering up the airwaves, print sources and internet with your attention whoring, eventually having a clothing line, a perfume line, an album and a reality show, all for doing something scandalous or stupid that made people aware of you." I think we should go back to requiring people to have talent before they're rewarded with notoriety. Sure, there will always be people who are more infamous than famous, but no one ever gave Charlie Manson's girls their own reality show on Bravo. In this case, it's just another log on an already-too-stoked faux-celebrity fire, and I'm sick of it. This kind of stuff encourages the would-be Heidi Montags and Snookis of the world.
    Something Witty

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I'm torn on this subject. On one hand, I can't blame her for seizing an opportunity, given she's a performer anyway, and it's hard to get a slice of public attention, with so many people trying to make it in her business.

On the other hand, I'm really, really tired of the current trend of "get in the public eye any way you can, then milk it for all it's worth, cluttering up the airwaves, print sources and internet with your attention whoring, eventually having a clothing line, a perfume line, an album and a reality show, all for doing something scandalous or stupid that made people aware of you." I think we should go back to requiring people to have talent before they're rewarded with notoriety. Sure, there will always be people who are more infamous than famous, but no one ever gave Charlie Manson's girls their own reality show on Bravo. In this case, it's just another log on an already-too-stoked faux-celebrity fire, and I'm sick of it. This kind of stuff encourages the would-be Heidi Montags and Snookis of the world.
    I agree with the word WE. WE as consumers are enabling the whoring.
    Words of warning Tallulah, you're preaching to the wrong person. I'm a complete realityTv whore. I feast upon idiots on TV and their ridiculous, laughable drama. It's too entertaining for me to turn down.

I was also thinking the same thing in regards to "its hard to get a slice of real public attention", another reason why I support her taking the opportunity, and milking for what its worth.

She killed a experienced criminal, and is now working her way up in the entertainment world by using it for what its worth. Girl is capable.

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    It's that whole 'do the ends always justify the means' kinda discussion. I vote no, but I know others disagree.
    Ends justify the means?? What do you mean?
    What is she doing that is wrong? Is this a moral thing?

MBTI
    INTP

I agree with the word WE. WE as consumers are enabling the whoring.
    Words of warning Tallulah, you're preaching to the wrong person. I'm a complete realityTv whore. I feast upon idiots on TV and their ridiculous, laughable drama. It's too entertaining for me to turn down.

I was also thinking the same thing in regards to "its hard to get a slice of real public attention", another reason why I support her taking the opportunity, and milking for what its worth.

She killed a experienced criminal, and is now working her way up in the entertainment world by using it for what its worth. Girl is capable.
    Oh, I know what you mean. I loathe the Real Housewives with every fiber of my being, yet I'll watch Jersey Shore. And I know I'm enabling it, but I still watch. I do realize I'm part of the problem. But I still really hate what it's doing to our culture. I'm really hoping that the pendulum will swing back and people will be tired of reality shows after a while. I won't miss Jersey Shore when it goes away.

I'm probably going to get rid of my DirecTV when my contract expires, so I won't be watching nearly as much "filler" tv. If I have to seek it out, I will probably be too lazy to keep up with it.

In answer to the other question, she's not doing anything wrong, and it's too tempting for ANY of us that had the same opportunity not to seize it. I mean, if Bravo or TLC or MTV offered me millions to film my life, it's not like I'd turn it down. The temptation would be too strong, given that I could set myself and my family up for life. (It would be the most boring reality show ever, but whatevs.) But there is still something kinda icky about her killing someone (even a bad guy), and then using it to boost her lingerie model career. "Here I am, posing seductively with the pink gun I used to shoot a guy in the head!" It's distasteful. But America effing LOVES distasteful.

Edit: And there's the Rebecca Black thing. She has this little song that was never meant to be seen by anyone but her friends, it goes viral. She gets vilified because the song is so inane. Next logical step? The record contract she's reportedly signed. Does she have talent? Eh, it's marginal. Is she known for anything other than singing a really stupid song that she didn't write and didn't work for beyond her mother paying $2000? No. Like William Hung, this should be the last we hear from her. But no, she gets a shot at a recording contract and a career that talented singer-songwriters will work for YEARS to get a shot at, and may never achieve. I think that's a large part of my problem with the mindset. We're all okay with people not working for their attention, not doing anything worthy of it.
    Something Witty

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Oh, I know what you mean. I loathe the Real Housewives with every fiber of my being, yet I'll watch Jersey Shore. And I know I'm enabling it, but I still watch. I do realize I'm part of the problem. But I still really hate what it's doing to our culture. I'm really hoping that the pendulum will swing back and people will be tired of reality shows after a while. I won't miss Jersey Shore when it goes away.

I'm probably going to get rid of my DirecTV when my contract expires, so I won't be watching nearly as much "filler" tv. If I have to seek it out, I will probably be too lazy to keep up with it.

In answer to the other question, she's not doing anything wrong, and it's too tempting for ANY of us that had the same opportunity not to seize it. I mean, if Bravo or TLC or MTV offered me millions to film my life, it's not like I'd turn it down. The temptation would be too strong, given that I could set myself and my family up for life. (It would be the most boring reality show ever, but whatevs.) But there is still something kinda icky about her killing someone (even a bad guy), and then using it to boost her lingerie model career. "Here I am, posing seductively with the pink gun I used to shoot a guy in the head!" It's distasteful. But America effing LOVES distasteful.

Edit: And there's the Rebecca Black thing. She has this little song that was never meant to be seen by anyone but her friends, it goes viral. She gets vilified because the song is so inane. Next logical step? The record contract she's reportedly signed. Does she have talent? Eh, it's marginal. Is she known for anything other than singing a really stupid song that she didn't write and didn't work for beyond her mother paying $2000? No. Like William Hung, this should be the last we hear from her. But no, she gets a shot at a recording contract and a career that talented singer-songwriters will work for YEARS to get a shot at, and may never achieve. I think that's a large part of my problem with the mindset. We're all okay with people not working for their attention, not doing anything worthy of it.
    Agree with your entire post.

By no means do I think what she's doing is NOT distasteful.