User Tag List

First 123

Smile Charles Darwin and Social Darwinism

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Actually, the PC term is now "creation science", not creationism. Creationism and intelligent design no longer sound credible enough, so creation science is the common term used today. I'm not even making this up. It takes a very subtle, but determined mindset to warp reality to the extent necessary to turn agenda into policy.
    Creationists aren't actually opposed to Charles Darwin's, "Origin of Species", rather they are opposed to Social Darwinism.

Social Darwinism in the United States gave rise to Eugenics which was perfected later in Germany.

Also Social Darwinism was used by the robber barons in the United States to amass their fortunes.

So the Creationists are actually on the side of the angels, and this accounts for their religious persistence.

So we should join with the Creationists of the United States in their trenchant opposition to Social Darwinism and Eugenics; and we should support them in their search for social justice in a bourgeois society.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Creationists aren't actually opposed to Charles Darwin's, "Origin of Species", rather they are opposed to Social Darwinism.

Social Darwinism in the United States gave rise to Eugenics which was perfected later in Germany.

Also Social Darwinism was used by the robber barons in the United States to amass their fortunes.

So the Creationists are actually on the side of the angels, and this accounts for their religious persistence.

So we should join with the Creationists of the United States in their trenchant opposition to Social Darwinism and Eugenics; and we should support them in their search for social justice in a bourgeois society.
    And we all know, through biblical canon, that angels bring death, war, famine, genocide and plague. Should we side with demons, then? For just as we reject science because cruel men can birth from science great horrors like eugenics, so to should we reject all that would bring suffering? Would we even be right to take to the skies, knowing that from the skies we rain fire our on enemies?

Tell me, how do you feel about Prometheus?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    I have wondered though, don't schools in America have religious education lessons? I had them when I was in high school in the UK.
    Not that I know of.

Typically, states handle education, so laws vary from state to state. I'm not sure if there is a federal law stipulating no religion taught in schools.

When I was in elementary and middle school, I was living in a very conservative Christian area, and the compromise was that parents would give permission for their children to leave school grounds (such as being bussed to a nearby church) in order to receive religious instruction. This prevented religion from being taught on school property and thus maintained the separation. This instruction (handled by local religious ministries) lasted through middle school, but there was no high school equivalent.

I think students are allowed to discuss religious matters and have study/prayer group before and after school hours, but it gets kind of hairy in who can say what, and I'm not sure that faculty can involve themselves.

I think religion can be mentioned in history class, in historical terms, but I don't think actual theology is taught from a secular viewpoint.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Aw hell! Fuck a sister, this shit ain't write.

MBTI
    infp

I don't understand why it doesn't seem to bother these people that these policies, and this discussion as a whole, are making the United States the laughing stock of Western society. Sorry guys Is there no sense of embarrassment in any of this, for the legislators, for the voting public?

I have never been taught "intelligent design", "creation theory", or "creation science" in any significant way. I've had a teacher or two briefly explain it if someone asked, usually saying "this is what it is -but it isn't science so we arn't going to talk about it." We discussed it in my high school anthropology/psychology/sociology class as one of the popular theories of human origin (note popular, not one of the scientific theories). I imagine a bunch of high school students being told to scientifically analyze creationism would not go far -lets give them some credit, you don't need to be a genius to see it isn't science. Wouldn't it just make a mockery of the whole class?

I guess I just don't understand the religious culture around it though

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    I don't understand why it doesn't seem to bother these people that these policies, and this discussion as a whole, are making the United States the laughing stock of Western society. Sorry guys Is there no sense of embarrassment in any of this, for the legislators, for the voting public?

I have never been taught "intelligent design", "creation theory", or "creation science" in any significant way. I've had a teacher or two briefly explain it if someone asked, usually saying "this is what it is -but it isn't science so we arn't going to talk about it." We discussed it in my high school anthropology/psychology/sociology class as one of the popular theories of human origin (note popular, not one of the scientific theories). I imagine a bunch of high school students being told to scientifically analyze creationism would not go far -lets give them some credit, you don't need to be a genius to see it isn't science. Wouldn't it just make a mockery of the whole class?

I guess I just don't understand the religious culture around it though
    Thank heavens the US is only a laughting stock. In Britain we can be killed or forced to publicly recant our beliefs for teaching evolution.

This US is merely reliving the battles of the 19th Century while Britain is now reliving the battles of the medieval period.

Ginkgo

I think I'm going to vom.