User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    The U.S. is in enough economic trouble trying to front two wars, that they should have taken a back seat in this one. What was even more interesting was that relatively wealthy countries like China, Russia, India, Brazil and Germany, abstained from voting. Time to do the math as to why they made their more economical and political choice to abstain.
    Granted I've paid absolutely no attention to this or any news for that matter in any capacity, but perhaps the aiding in the overthrowing of the dictator is done with the intention of allowing the U.S the ability to extend our foreign market by claiming a stake during the rebuilding & restructuring process? Yet if this is in fact the reason, we're continually overextending ourselves and weakening the value of our money through inflation if we're banking on this, Iraq, and all our other side endeavors to pull us out of the hole.

Oberon

It may simply be that the rest of the Arab League just 'voted him off the island.'

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    Granted I've paid absolutely no attention to this or any news for that matter in any capacity, but perhaps the aiding in the overthrowing of the dictator is done with the intention of allowing the U.S the ability to extend our foreign market by claiming a stake during the rebuilding & restructuring process? Yet if this is in fact the reason, we're continually overextending ourselves and weakening the value of our money through inflation if we're banking on this, Iraq, and all our other side endeavors to pull us out of the hole.
    As a complete guess on my part, it's more about displaying military strength and solidarity with European and Arab nations, than anything financially driven. A good will gesture and political posturing.

Now Iraq was for financial reasons, including oil, restructuring and attempting to expand militarily strategic positioning within the Middle East.

MBTI
    ENTP

Libya has oil.

Only a third of what Iraq has in proven reserves and a drop in the bucket compared to Saudi Arabia, as at 2010:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_reserves
    Last edited by bechimo; 03-20-2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Removed original gif since it appeared to have some inaccurate information.

MBTI
    ISTx

How the hippies liking Obama now, I wonder.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

oh lol i didnt know finland attacked them also. weird thats media says nothing about it
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    How the hippies liking Obama now, I wonder.
    While not a hippy, I still like Obama.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    oh lol i didnt know finland attacked them also. weird thats media says nothing about it
    America is the slut at prom. Everyone is going to be talking about what she's doing. No one else was there.

Personally, I was really glad they intervened, I think a lot of people were. I didn't really realize how necessary it was to intervene (even though I watched the news every day). Not until I heard stories from family about what was actually going on, and what has happened to their friends/acquaintances in Libya, did I really support this decision. I hope that that NATO does find someone to take the lead on this; and hopefully the results are positive, more than negative.

But why the hell did they wait so long? It makes no sense to me. Were they hoping the rebels would win it? isn't it obvious that tripoli was not going to fall? What is their intention now? They could've caused less collateral damage, if they had intervened from the start.
    Was america worried about its image? Were they worried they would appear like the Greedy-Mother-Hen if they had joined in early(when their military strength wasn't desperately needed)?

They should've set the No-Fly zone a long time ago.

Sniffles

This is an Arab war, not an American one.