Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Default How Prison Should Be Run

It's fairly common knowledge that the prison system is broken as shit. So I offer various ideas on how prison should be managed and operated.

-Prison should be set in more distinct levels, that is there should be different prisons, or rather different sections of prisons should be resevered for different kinds of prisoners. For example have sections of prison for rapists, another section for those who murder out of passion, another for those who pre-meditate murder, another for drug related crims, etc.

-Prisoners should not be grouped in the same rooms with each other. Prison riots and prison rape, along with people getting killed in prison, are a serious problem. Therefore each prisoner should have one cell to themselves. They should also have windows (strongly protected ones) than they can use to talk with the prisoners in cells next to them, as some would see solitary confinment as cruel (nevermind that prison itself is cruel next to solitray confinment).

-In addition prisoners should not be roaming amonst each other in open squares either; all walking and physical like activities should be managed within their cells or in more closely in better monitered quarters.

-Punishments should go beyond X years in prison, rather other methods of punishing should be implemented so that the criminal can learn of the wrongs that they did.

-Drugs should be legalized, there's no damn reason why smoking a joint should have me removed from being a functioning member of society. Instead drug addicts who have problems should be sent to treatment centers, and prisons will be a lot less overcrowded.

-The key should be rehabilition for some or those who need it, and punishment for others. Or in some cases both. It all depends on what each individual criminal did, why they did it, etc. All verdicts should be dealt with by a case by case basis.

If anyone else has any ideas on how to make a better prison please feel free to share. The goal to this debate is to try and create something better than what we have currently.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Hmmm... that sounds quite functional! Could you please elaborate on this point, though, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    -Punishments should go beyond X years in prison, rather other methods of punishing should be implemented so that the criminal can learn of the wrongs that they did.
    You mean like capital punishment?

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by Viridian
    You mean like capital punishment?
    Well for some truly evil crimes I would say yes. But for others (depending on the crime committed) I would say physical labor work, or humiliation, or subjecting them to something other than being locked in a cell all day.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

I have to run out the door right now, but I'll be back.

Oh yes, I'll be back...
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by mrcockburn
    I have to run out the door right now, but I'll be back.

Oh yes, I'll be back...
    I imagine you'll be back later then to possible critique my assertions. Good then, I look forward to your return.

MBTI
    ISTx

Where shall we get the money to construct these new prisons that are exclusive to certain types of crimes? There are prisons that are at certain security levels already and what the nature of one's crime is determines which prison one goes too.

Check this out:
    http://www.jailguide.com/security_level.php

and taken from Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarce..._United_States
    Less serious offenders, such as those convicted of misdemeanor offenses, may receive a short term sentence to be served in a local city or county jail, or to alternative forms of sanctions such as community corrections (halfway house) or house arrest. Different U.S. prisons operate at different levels of security, ranging from minimum-security prisons—that mainly house non-violent offenders—to Supermax facilities that house the most dangerous criminals.
    It's not really practical or at all cost effective to divide prisoners up any more than that. The main issue with the prison system is that these guys do their time, get out and are right back at a life of crime. It's not rehabilitating. As for rape/violence among prisoners in the system, I don't think it's as widespread as the movies might make it seem, but it does happen. When you house criminals, you're bound to see heads butting. That's the purpose of the corrections officers: security and oversight.

I'm not studying Criminal Justice yet, but I will be. Can't wait!

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by Ignite
    Where shall we get the money to construct these new prisons that are exclusive to certain types of crimes? There are prisons that are at certain security levels already and what the nature of one's crime is determines which prison one goes too.
    Well it doesn't have to be seperate prisons exactly, but rather individual prisons (like min security, max security, etc) could have subdivisions for certain kinds of crimes. Although if prisoners were simply placed in single cells then this may not be needed.

It's not really practical or at all cost effective to divide prisoners up any more than that. The main issue with the prison system is that these guys do their time, get out and are right back at a life of crime. It's not rehabilitating.
    Perhaps the punishment of simply locking a person up isn't effective, or it could be that these particualr prisoners live a life of complete crime (like gangs). I've also heard how prison life forces people to either become more violent then they were of get eaten alive, thus the system is actually making more criminals.

As for rape/violence among prisoners in the system, I don't think it's as widespread as the movies might make it seem, but it does happen. When you house criminals, you're bound to see heads butting. That's the purpose of the corrections officers: security and oversight.
    But correction officers can't monitor prisoners 24/7, especially not at night time or in showers when prison rape can occur real easy.

I'm not studying Criminal Justice yet, but I will be. Can't wait!
    Sounds interesting. Hope you have with that.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I don't think there's really a problem with the prison system as a whole. The one real criticism I have for it is that in some prisons, the guards get away with very thuggish behavior. That shouldn't be happening. Otherwise, I don't see a problem with the prison system itself. Certain crimes should not be criminal, as you said perhaps drugs should be legal, but that's a separate issue. I do agree about prisoners sharing cells. Prison itself is the punishment for the criminal, they don't need to be dealing with their fellow prisoners as well, certainly not when that isn't a prescribed part of their sentence.

I like the idea of rehabilitation, unfortunately I'm not sure it's particularly practical. Looking at crimes on a case-by-case basis makes the law a bit more nebulous, and I really don't see that as a good thing. If there's a way to standardize it, then I'd be willing to go along with it. But whenever you try to indivdualize crimes/punishments, you are taking away the power of the law, and that can't do anything good.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by freeeekyyy
    I like the idea of rehabilitation, unfortunately I'm not sure it's particularly practical. Looking at crimes on a case-by-case basis makes the law a bit more nebulous, and I really don't see that as a good thing. If there's a way to standardize it, then I'd be willing to go along with it. But whenever you try to indivdualize crimes/punishments, you are taking away the power of the law, and that can't do anything good.
    And what's wrong with taking deisicions of justice into our own hands rather than the law? The law is already a construct of our own making, yet it is not perfect and there are specific situations and circumstances that beg the ability of people to rationalize things on the spot rather than blindly do whatever the law says. It requires though people of the utmost fairness, intelligence, and skillfulness, but it can be done.

MBTI
    ISTx

They don't call you Idealist for nothing! :P