User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default How prepared are you for anything?

Do you feel prepared for anything? I've been thinking about it since the disaster hit Japan, how prepared would you be? What do you think about preparedness generally or do you think its in vane in any case?

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

In terms of natural disasters, I'm not all that prepared. Luckily, I live in an area where natural disasters almost never happen except maybe for an occasional tornado.

I do prepare to some degree for other types of unexpected events. I have health insurance and car insurance. I even have renters insurance in case someone where to break in to my apartment and steal a bunch of my stuff. I always keep some money in savings so if I have some unexpected car repair or medical ailment, I can pay for it.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I think preparing for anything would make me unhappier. I try to keep the amount of anxiety in my life as low as I can. If I was preparing for the worst for, say, ten years, and then there was a disaster, I would have wasted my life in anxiety for those ten years. But I do think that there are things I can do that are a bit like preparation for the worst. One of them is learning to do things by myself. If the system collapses due to some disaster, the most valuable thing you've got will be your practical skills.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I think preparing for anything would make me unhappier. I try to keep the amount of anxiety in my life as low as I can. If I was preparing for the worst for, say, ten years, and then there was a disaster, I would have wasted my life in anxiety for those ten years. But I do think that there are things I can do that are a bit like preparation for the worst. One of them is learning to do things by myself. If the system collapses due to some disaster, the most valuable thing you've got will be your practical skills.
    That's pretty much my view too, you have to live at the same time, you cant spend your life preparing to live or in anticipation of things, good or bad.

I bought 4 small emergency kits a couple years ago, a lot of the stuff is probably expired by now. I would like to be more prepared, I want make sure my camping supplies are easily accessible and buy a shit load of spam and water. Seattle has been expecting "the big one" for years now, it's been long over due . I think it's definitly better to be safe then sorry.

I've got a flashlight, a swiss army knife, and 2 boxes of fruit roll-ups. Do your worst, nature.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

I am not prepared for anything. Well, I have a bit money in my house, but that is just because I am too lazy to bring it to the bank always.

Wouldn't be surprised though if my parents have some secret plan hidden in the house.

Smile Surprise

We can't be prepared for surprise and don't want to be - we want it to be a surprise - we don't want to be prepared for our own surprise party.

The only people prepared are boy scouts and they are the least prepared for surprise. They hate surprise, they hate to be surprised. Let's face reality - boy scouts are neither cool nor sexy, they are good soldiers of the status quo.

So rather than being boy scouts we should court surprise, we should make love with surprise and let her surprise us.

Surprise is as fresh as ginger, in fact surprise gingers us up. You know, I have a secret desire for a girlfriend called, "Ginger".

Of course print has no surprises - linear, sequential and uniform, it had a beginning a middle and an end. But the denoument of print is at hand with etext. Etext goes on forever and shades into voice and movies and pictures, instantaneously.

No one can be prepared for etext, and the only ones who try are boy scouts in their khaki uniforms.

MBTI
    ----

i'm not prepared for much. other people like to look after me - it makes them feel good. who am i to take that privilege away from them?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

why prepare? I find that I'm good at improvising, and that improvisation is a thrill
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett