User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I can't not prepare. It's simply not something I'm able to do. My comfortable level of preparedness is likely more than most people but I still keep things in perspective. Can I prepare for something on the level of the Japanese disaster? No, I don't know that anyone can. Can I be sure that I've prepared for a power outage, winter storm, tornado or unemployment for example? Yes and I have. I don't live in an urban area, I am certain that if something happened, it would be awhile before any help arrived. That means preparation and, more importantly self-sustainability. No I'm not hoarding gas or stocking 10 years worth of wheat and water. Do I have enough food and provisions to get through 3-6 months? Yes easily. Do I keep emergency supplies in all my vehicles? Of course. Do I have a garden, can and process my own food, buy locally raised meat, dairy and eggs? Yes. I'm not anxious about being prepared, quite the opposite. Being prepared keeps me from being anxious.
    Yes. I once went almost a week with no power, in a house with a well -- meaning also no water. Water was therefore something we seriously stockpiled, and learned to ration for uses other than drinking and cooking. I have had the experience of needing to evacuate due to hurricanes and fires, so also have the drill down as to what is valuable enough to be put in my car when I leave, including itemized lists of belongings with photos for future insurance claims. Though now in a house on city water, we have installed rain barrels. This won't help if the rain itself is tainted by a disaster, but otherwise it is a nice supply, and free water for the garden when not needed for emergencies. In short, we have most things that can be readily arranged and maintained for a disaster.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

How prepared am I for anything? I guess for some things, I am very, very, very prepared. For other things, I am not prepared at all. Anything is a wide net like that.

Where I live, there's basically two possible catastrophes: something man-made like a shooting or bombing, and a blizzard. I've walked multiple miles through five foot deep snow before, far enough to get supplies or help if I need it, without any real issue.

Wild fires are a concern to areas near me, but I live too urban an area for the fire to really find enough fuel to keep going strong.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Yes. I once went almost a week with no power, in a house with a well -- meaning also no water. Water was therefore something we seriously stockpiled, and learned to ration for uses other than drinking and cooking. I have had the experience of needing to evacuate due to hurricanes and fires, so also have the drill down as to what is valuable enough to be put in my car when I leave, including itemized lists of belongings with photos for future insurance claims. Though now in a house on city water, we have installed rain barrels. This won't help if the rain itself is tainted by a disaster, but otherwise it is a nice supply, and free water for the garden when not needed for emergencies. In short, we have most things that can be readily arranged and maintained for a disaster.
    We have the same situation here. Moving from a major metro area to this somewhat secluded lake community was well...an adjustment. The first summer storm that went through and knocked out power I was like oh hell no. I can deal without power but not without the well pump. When we bought this house ENFJ man had a whole house generator that runs on natural gas with a propane backup installed and it's been a godsend. Rain barrels are fantastic and I found two more decorative ones that have a planter on top. They hold 85 gallons so there is plenty for the irrigation drip system in the garden and watering plants. We have a plan to meet in case of an emergency. The area is heavily forested and I do have concerns about fires. Our boat would make an excellent means of escape and I keep a well stocked kit on it too.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    I probably have enough non-perishable food to get us through a few months as well. I used to be really good about keeping emergency supplies in my vehicle, but it's hard in the winter when everything freezes and I kind of fell out of it. I should at least put a blanket and some food in there. Water, I can do in the warmer months but not winter. I don't currently have a garden or do any of my own canning, but it's something I'd really like to do. I might try to plant a few tomato plants this summer and see how it works out...
    Container gardening is the best way to start. If you have space, this is also a great idea.

Line them up and plant right in the bags. Mulch to cover the plastic. The best part is when the season is over, pull out the plastic and you basically have soil ready to plant in the following year after amending. It's a great way to go if you have crappy soil.

http://www.vegetablegardener.com/ite...or-no-dig-beds
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I like Ceecee's avatar's ass and I am prepared to hit that.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I live in a bubble, i'm good.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

figsfiggyfigs

I'm always imagining all kinds of scenarios occurring.... I think I'd be pretty prepared. Even if i wasn't, I'm very adaptable, imaginative, and pragmatic. I don't require much to keep me happy and alive.

I actually keep a "travel" kit of basic things I'd require at any point. . . everything is in a ziplock bag( including a small first-aid kit, a pillow, and a blanket), and they're stuffed into a small gym bag. . . It's not super advanced, but now this makes me want to restart my checklist for it.

I'm still looking for the perfect swiss army knife.

I take all that stuff with me EVERY time I travel....is that weird?

I love Multi-Tools, they're so convenient.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post

I take all that stuff with me EVERY time I travel....is that weird?

I love Multi-Tools, they're so convenient.
    I don't think so. Multi-tools are great. I keep one in my glove box and one in the kit because I'm always needing the thing. Leatherman makes the best ones but they also make a nice series of knives if you are looking for something like the Swiss army variety.

i'm never really prepared,
    too much just confuses me.

i think i was built for more...on the fly.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    i'm never really prepared,
    too much just confuses me.

i think i was built for more...on the fly.
    I'm very good "on the fly", but I much rather be prepared and have multiple plans.

(CeeCee, Leatherman is freaking fantastic... not a good site to be looking at during finals week)