User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 135

  1. #51
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I agree with you. Only thing I think that is really important is the attitude to change to renewable is not really everywhere in politics yet. See our government they are using 50% more nuclear reactors than they need and why ? To make money. They have the idea to use that money to have the investion money for renewables. I think this is a good strategy, but I think too that a little pushing from the people side into the backs of the deciders of the energy lobbies will do the process of change a good thing.
    This seems like you have a very limited view on the subject. Germany does not produce electricity in a vacuum. They produce it because there is a demand. If Germany does not supply that electricity, someone else will.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  2. #52
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Ya I see your point. Here's an intresting cultural difference, what we call in german the american way to think big. It's not meant in a bad away, it's just a fact I have witnessed some times. It means, while you are thinking when fossile energy runs dry, we'ld need to substitute it somehow, I'ld be thinking when it runs dry, we need to lower our consumption . Hehe

    Here is definitly another topic for discussion namely the massive amount of power consumption of the western world. Some things are getting far too excessive for us, if you watch Germany meats consumption its barbarian. They kill trillion of cows to get that much meat a year it's kinda like the peak level of sanity is reached.

    But I am convinced by your point, I'ld rather tho say that building new plants would be the last action to take after we significantly reduced our energy consumption. I am in that regards willing to give away my whole standard of lifing so the planet hasnt to face another nuclear fuel element being toxic and radiating for 2000 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    This seems like you have a very limited view on the subject. Germany does not produce electricity in a vacuum. They produce it because there is a demand. If Germany does not supply that electricity, someone else will.
    There seems to be a bar on my head saying "please insult me". I never said they produce it in a vacuum and I know that if they wont take the pie someone else will. That doesnt mean tho that they have to take the pie, I will never give in to that logic, rather die like a free Jaffa
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  3. #53
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    There seems to be a bar on my head saying "please insult me". I never said they produce it in a vacuum and I know that if they wont take the pie someone else will. That doesnt mean tho that they have to take the pie, I will never give in to that logic, rather die like a free Jaffa
    Insult? What?

    You implied that Germany produces electricity in a vacuum with the way you worded your post. If this was not intentional, I would recommend rephrasing your post.

    I have no idea what a free Jaffa is.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  4. #54
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    yaya, go mock someone else
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  5. #55
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Ya I see your point. Here's an intresting cultural difference, what we call in german the american way to think big. It's not meant in a bad away, it's just a fact I have witnessed some times. It means, while you are thinking when fossile energy runs dry, we'ld need to substitute it somehow, I'ld be thinking when it runs dry, we need to lower our consumption . Hehe
    Actually, I do think we need to lower our consumption. I spoke about that in another thread on minimum wage, as RH mentioned. I'm one of the few people who advocates that, and I'm actually told that it's absurd and un-American. I just don't happen to think we can do it quickly enough to avoid needing more plants. Also, it's going to be very hard to get people to go along with lowering their consumption... especially American people. We have to change a whole culture, a whole way of operating, a whole set of assumptions, before we can reduce our standard of living.
    But I am convinced by your point, I'ld rather tho say that building new plants would be the last action to take after we significantly reduced our energy consumption. I am in that regards willing to give away my whole standard of lifing so the planet hasnt to face another nuclear fuel element being toxic and radiating for 2000 years.
    Yes, I would be willing to do that if necessary as well... but there are not many people who agree with that attitude. A lot of people think the world is coming to an end, or that what happens after they die is unimportant.

    I just had an idea, though... what if we sent the nuclear waste into space? Maybe to the moon or something? For that matter, what if we built power plants in space, and found some way to get the energy back down here? Is that even possible?

  6. #56
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    What do people think of thorium reactors?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHs2Ugxo7-8

    I generally find the anti-nuclear crowd to be hypocritical. Rather than saying we need to improve nuclear reactor technology, they tend to dismiss it completely. Yet, when it comes to renewable sources, like wind and solar, they'll go on and on about how great they are, but we just need to improve the technology.

    If we say that it is impossible to build a safe nuclear reactor (however we decide to define "safe"), it will be impossible.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  7. #57
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Actually, I do think we need to lower our consumption. I spoke about that in another thread on minimum wage, as RH mentioned. I'm one of the few people who advocates that, and I'm actually told that it's absurd and un-American. I just don't happen to think we can do it quickly enough to avoid needing more plants. Also, it's going to be very hard to get people to go along with lowering their consumption... especially American people. We have to change a whole culture, a whole way of operating, a whole set of assumptions, before we can reduce our standard of living.


    Yes, I would be willing to do that if necessary as well... but there are not many people who agree with that attitude. A lot of people think the world is coming to an end, or that what happens after they die is unimportant.

    I just had an idea, though... what if we sent the nuclear waste into space? Maybe to the moon or something? For that matter, what if we built power plants in space, and found some way to get the energy back down here? Is that even possible?
    I understand. I agree there still needs to happen a lot of change in the head of people but I think as long as people like us stay visionary in that field, there will be always some who remind people of those things and they wont be forgotten. And whole mankind is getting more sensitive to those topics, since energy is getting short, there will may be a leverage effect anyways.

    The thing with shooting waste into space is a good idea and funny question. There have been comic shows like futurama making fun out of it like that the garbage from 1996 came back to earth 2030 and it is possible that garbage could fly elliptic like a boomerang back to the earth. It very hypothetical but possible. A better solution is to shoot the stuff into the sun. There's only one reason I know of why they havent done it yet: because rocket launches are statistically too dangerous. There happens to be catastrophies more often with rocket launches than atomic power plants and if the rocket would explode having the stuff on board it would be a problem, espeically mid-air would be a desaster (other reasons are of course the weigth of the waste is massive. Dunno if you could mpropell it at all and radioactive waves will distort electrical circuits on the rocket. Tho you could prolly compensate that).
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  8. #58
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    What do people think of thorium reactors?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHs2Ugxo7-8

    I generally find that anti-nuclear crowd to be hypocritical. Rather than saying we need to improve nuclear reactor technology, they tend to dismiss it completely. Yet, when it comes to renewable sources, like wind and solar, they'll go on and on about how great they are, but we still need to improve our technology.
    From throium reactors I only know that they are prone to accidents. The gravest radioactive accident we had in Germany was with a thorium reactor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THTR-300) Dunno maybe we did it wrong.

    To call people who are afraid of something like nuclear waste hypocritical I think is very ivory-tower. But to say they applaud wind and solar too much I agree with. It's mostly tho because the common people are no experts and dont really no whats out there and what is possible
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  9. #59
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I understand. I agree there still needs to happen a lot of change in the head of people but I think as long as people like us stay visionary in that field, there will be always some who remind people of those things and they wont be forgotten. And whole mankind is getting more sensitive to those topics, since energy is getting short, there will may be a leverage effect anyways.
    I can only hope so. I just see so many people driving around their giant, gas-guzzling trucks, completely oblivious to the problem.
    The thing with shooting waste into space is a good idea and funny question. There have been comic shows like futurama making fun out of it like that the garbage from 1996 came back to earth 2030 and it is possible that garbage could fly elliptic like a boomerang back to the earth. It very hypothetical but possible. A better solution is to shoot the stuff into the sun. There's only one reason I know of why they havent done it yet: because rocket launches are statistically too dangerous. There happens to be catastrophies more often with rocket launches than atomic power plants and if the rocket would explode having the stuff on board it would be a problem, espeically mid-air would be a desaster (other reasons are of course the weigth of the waste is massive. Dunno if you could mpropell it at all and radioactive waves will distort electrical circuits on the rocket. Tho you could prolly compensate that).
    Ah, gotcha. Yeah, that is all stuff that I didn't know... I suppose it's not feasible now, although it might be in the future.

    I did find an example of something I had in my head just now... what do you think of this? It's an example of how solar power could work:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-based_solar_power

    When I said that solar power didn't generate enough energy, I was talking about terrestrial solar... but then the idea occurred to me, why not have the panels in orbit, where the sun is stronger?

  10. #60
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    From throium reactors I only know that they are prone to accidents. The gravest radioactive accident we had in Germany was with a thorium reactor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THTR-300) Dunno maybe we did it wrong.
    I don't know much about that German reactor, but it looks like it was a different design from the one I linked.

    My position is that we need to be exploring more ideas when it comes to nuclear power, not fewer. If we define the terms (primarily safety) under which nuclear power generation would be acceptable, I believe this is a problem we can solve.

    To call people who are afraid of something like nuclear waste hypocritical I think is very ivory-tower. But to say they applaud wind and solar too much I agree with. It's mostly tho because the common people are no experts and dont really no whats out there and what is possible
    I don't care whether or not people "feel" like it's ivory-tower, it is hypocritical. They have a double standard based on their personal biases.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Similar Threads

  1. Islamist plot to blow up Eiffel Tower, Louvre and nuclear power plant foiled
    By Kullervo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 07-13-2014, 12:45 AM
  2. The Australian Election and Religion
    By darlets in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-13-2007, 05:06 PM
  3. [NT] The NT Rationale and Rightness
    By Spartan in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-20-2007, 05:28 PM
  4. Suicide and social power
    By labyrinthine in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-04-2007, 03:04 AM
  5. "The Shield" MBTI and E-types...
    By The Ü™ in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-27-2007, 06:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO