User Tag List

First 4121314

What if we have a Traveling wave reactor. A "kind of nuclear reactor that can convert fertile material into fissile fuel as it runs using the process of nuclear transmutation. "?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveling_wave_reactor

I heard it on TED from Bill Gates: http://www.ted.com/talks/bill_gates.html

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

I am much more concerned about dioxin and PCB contamination than I am of radioactive waste contamination. The latter is fairly manageable, since alpha and beta emitters are only dangerous when aerosolized, or able to enter the body through other means. Gamma emitters are by definition very hot, and thus will not persist. On the other hand, dioxins and PCBs persist for a very long time, and enter the body through many more vectors.

Radiation isn't nearly as dangerous as it is portrayed, while toxic organic chemicals are far more dangerous than we give them credit for.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Well if you have to live next to a nuclear waste storage, radiation of course becomes a problem. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schacht_Asse_II ) And by the end of this year we'll now what radiation means to a country.

I admit, I only wanted to hear your opinion and then got kinda opinionated myself. I have given the topic some thought and I understand that probably the U.S. isnt at the point yet where others are. Where I come from the thoughts about the matter have been quickly propelled by the issue that we dont know where to store the waste and in a german thread on my other forum equal to this thread I received already over 5000 answers. My prognosis is that in maybe 10 - 15 years the topic of nuclear energy will be of american intrest aswell, at the time when a replacement for fossile energies becomes more pressuring. I think to that nuclear power will be serving as a bridge technology in the U.S. because you already have too many of them. I just hope, you'll stop building new ones early enough. Your thinking needs to change first so. Americans have already been people who tought big and lived big but I think the modern times will need you to change that and become a bit more responsible in your ways.

To me atomic power has a different meaning. I am kinda pathetic and traumatized by this thing but it is as it is. I come from a family in which everybody was military, except for my Dad and me. My Dad got a serious illness at young age he barely survived and that was the main reason he didnt go to the army back then. If he hadnt had this illness, I'ld probably be not here at all today or be serving as a Hauptmann in Afghanistan.

Since I have this past, I was always confronted at young age with the nazi time and I asked myself the unanswerable question "Would I have been a nazi back then?" I cant answer it no matter how hard I try, everytime I get close to an answer, I find another "what if" and I am not too convinced anymore. My inner feelings nowadays say: yes by all means, no nazi; but back then it was a different time, a different system, people received poorer education, just too many what if's. So I asked myself back then Germany had a lot of military gear. Like 300% more tanks than everyone else and the population that was unemployed and starving was given work by Hitler thru the armaments industry.

So the people later after the war, alsways said they didnt know anything. They didnt know Hitler was killing the jewish population, they didnt know that the physically disabled people just all vanished mgically over night, they said they noticed nothing. And I wondered, if I had been working in a company back then, building parts for a thousand tanks, wouldnt I have wondered if those tanks aint eventually used for war ?

Tho it might sound pathetic, because it is pathetic but I think it is an equal situation with nuclear energy. Tho people know nuclear power plants produce waste that we will never get rid of and that does kill us, they nevertheless do it, so we can continue consuming energy like there is no tomorrow. And I want to in 50 years, when my grandson comes to me with his historybook and asks me: grandpa, where you part of this nuclear madness back then ? Have you voted yes for nuclear energy aswell ? I want to answer no to him then and to have a guilt-free conscience.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

The thing is, Entropie, that in the US, it won't become a problem quite as quickly, because we have a lot of space to store the waste. Our country is huge. Perhaps that's why it isn't a big issue here yet. I think that until we've used up a lot of places to store the waste, we aren't going to take the idea that we need to get rid of nuclear seriously.

Also, I don't think that the US is going to be more responsible in its ways until it is forced to do so. It may take anything from conquering us, to completely devastating our economy (and I mean further than it has been), in order to humble us. Remember, Germany has been on the losing side of two World Wars... the US has never been humbled in quite that way. The closest we've been is the bombing of the WTC. We've never had our territory threatened (except by a Civil War), but we have taken it from others. I can almost guarantee that it will take a major disaster or two on our own soil to shock us into reality.

And Entropie... I envy you in that you have a question as to whether or not you would have been a Nazi back then, in that time and place. For me, there is no question... I know that I would have been. I actually tried to read Meine Kampf once, and I had to stop myself, because Hitler's words almost brainwashed me into thinking he was vindicated, even in THIS day and age. I was terrified I would lose my mind. I'm extremely susceptible to the kind of thinking that was common among the Nazis, and if it were common in my environment, there's no question that I would have fallen prey to it.

Many aspects of German psychology at that point in time, are all too familiar to me... I grew up in a place with many poor Southerners, who grew up in a South devastated by the American Civil War, and who feel like they got the short end of the stick during Reconstruction. My mother and grandmother knew some of the economic hopelessness, the feeling of oppression/resentment, the racism and classism that arises out of a need to blame SOMEONE (here the Blacks, Hispanics, and now Muslims are the usual targets). I'm feeling some of it even today, especially with the new economic downturn. In times like that, a man who promises what Hitler promised, who seems to offer the kind of solutions he does... well, you find yourself moved by anyone who offers that much hope for the future.

Anyway, my point is that Americans, for the most part, are not ready to learn from Germany's mistakes... I think it will take something major to bring us down a peg or two, to realize that we're not somehow holier than thou, and that we're capable of all the evils that we think are only found in the nature of doctrines that oppose our own. There is this major belief in Manifest Destiny and American Exceptionalism that has been at the core of our national policies for over a century, and it's nigh unshakable. I think that your analysis of what we need to do is logically sound, but I don't see much chance of us taking the correct road in the near future. I hope I'm wrong...

The majority of the nation, especially the North, is still quite immature as far as national character... completely proud, unbroken people, like the Romans before their decline. Some parts of the South have a little more experience, but they've been closer to where Germany was after World War I, than where it is today. America is a very young, immature nation that can learn from others intellectually, but does not really know itself at all. We haven't been through the trials that other nations have. That's important to remember.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    The thing is, Entropie, that in the US, it won't become a problem quite as quickly, because we have a lot of space to store the waste. Our country is huge. Perhaps that's why it isn't a big issue here yet. I think that until we've used up a lot of places to store the waste, we aren't going to take the idea that we need to get rid of nuclear seriously.

Also, I don't think that the US is going to be more responsible in its ways until it is forced to do so. It may take anything from conquering us, to completely devastating our economy (and I mean further than it has been), in order to humble us. Remember, Germany has been on the losing side of two World Wars... the US has never been humbled in quite that way. The closest we've been is the bombing of the WTC. We've never had our territory threatened (except by a Civil War), but we have taken it from others. I can almost guarantee that it will take a major disaster or two on our own soil to shock us into reality.

And Entropie... I envy you in that you have a question as to whether or not you would have been a Nazi back then, in that time and place. For me, there is no question... I know that I would have been. I actually tried to read Meine Kampf once, and I had to stop myself, because Hitler's words almost brainwashed me into thinking he was vindicated, even in THIS day and age. I was terrified I would lose my mind. I'm extremely susceptible to the kind of thinking that was common among the Nazis, and if it were common in my environment, there's no question that I would have fallen prey to it.

Many aspects of German psychology at that point in time, are all too familiar to me... I grew up in a place with many poor Southerners, who grew up in a South devastated by the American Civil War, and who feel like they got the short end of the stick during Reconstruction. My mother and grandmother knew some of the economic hopelessness, the feeling of oppression/resentment, the racism and classism that arises out of a need to blame SOMEONE (here the Blacks, Hispanics, and now Muslims are the usual targets). I'm feeling some of it even today, especially with the new economic downturn. In times like that, a man who promises what Hitler promised, who seems to offer the kind of solutions he does... well, you find yourself moved by anyone who offers that much hope for the future.

Anyway, my point is that Americans, for the most part, are not ready to learn from Germany's mistakes... I think it will take something major to bring us down a peg or two, to realize that we're not somehow holier than thou, and that we're capable of all the evils that we think are only found in the nature of doctrines that oppose our own. There is this major belief in Manifest Destiny and American Exceptionalism that has been at the core of our national policies for over a century, and it's nigh unshakable. I think that your analysis of what we need to do is logically sound, but I don't see much chance of us taking the correct road in the near future. I hope I'm wrong...
    Thanks for sharing that that means a lot to me. Guess what has been the most important to me in this course of this thread was to meet at least one person who can talk a bit more objectively about the situation and doesnt try to tell me that I have an irrational fear of radiation.

You know they say europeans are arrogant and want to tell everyone whats going on; but I am really never convinced I am doing the right thing aswell. Regarding nuclear power the one main argument for me is that it produces waste, so period. Nuclear energy is no solution as long as we dont get rid of the waste. Same with fossile energy, no solution because it will deplete. Those are bridge technologies but not the future. What I forget in my logic mare economical aspects or what it means for poorer countries who cant affored renewable energies, these are all sound arguements. Yet there is no arguement that legimatizes nuclear waste to me, I have one moral and that I wont bend. I may appear as a stubborn european due to that, so I just want you to know, I dont want to recreate americans in the image of europeans, I am just stubborn and could at this point only be convinced when someone told me how to effectively get rid of the waste. I'ld sulk a bit afterwards if someone would, but gimme a week and I'ld have cooled down .

To me America has always been a rolemodel from early childhood on. When Germany is the country of worries and of thoughts about what could go wrong, America was always the country of hope, a country of Doers, because they just went thru with the darn thing no matter the cost. This is a life attitude that is good.

I believe in the balance of things, I think that it is mandatory to take all positives things from all attitudes there are and form a middle attitude. So when talking about those things, I dont think americans are dumb or need to become like europeans, I think they are just on the verge of learning something new for them, like everybody once is in their lifes and I am tense to see the result .

Just never think you are alone, because you aint, you are part of the german hivemind now and will be assimilated. Resistance is futile !
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]