User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Results 91 to 100 of 135

  1. #91
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I think they're actually putting their faith in enhanced renewable energies, not the typical solar and wind that you're thinking of. Basically, a future technology.


    KITEGEN
    KITEGEN is a nice idea, but it's going to have issues with air traffic. I'd like to see how that is going to be resolved. We also have to consider the long-term consequences of removing kinetic energy from the atmosphere on the massive scale.

    Microwave

    For example, and they are considering completely new ones as well that I haven't heard of.
    Beaming microwaves from space down to Earth's surface has me very wary. That method would increase the amount of the energy that reaches the surface of the Earth, altering the thermodynamic equilibrium.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  2. #92
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    I'll never understand that, truly. You pollute for years the atmosphere with CO2 without hesistation and now you worry about removing kinetic energy from the atmosphere to speak in favor of nuclear energy. Really, that's just too hard for me
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  3. #93
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,646

    Default

    I am a citizen of the United States of America.

    An appeal to popularity? Really?
    If you don't see the double standard, I think this discussion is probably pointless. Your arguments are based on emotion with a few facts sprinkled in. You might be suffering from a severe case of confirmation bias.
    Should I give you a hug or a lollipop when I show how your logic is flawed? Would that make you feel better?
    Another disingenuous argument and more complaints about personal attacks. My last post was the first where I actually indulged. I figured if I'm going to be accused of personally attacking someone in every post simply for disagreeing, I might as well do it. These last three sentences will surely be interpreted as yet another personal attack by you. It must be difficult going through life confusing disagreement with insult.
    This does not surprise me. What has happened in Japan has given you a platform for your message.
    All of the above is off topic, personal and unneccessarily aggressive.

    As for the on topic arguments you gave: Much of that is already being addressed and I thinki nobody suggested only one form of renewables but rather a mix, depending on the region. I also fail to see how "we" would have to impose "our lifestyle" by force to generate that energy. Please explain. Are you referring to those gigantomanic plans of building giant solar plants in the Sahara? As some form of imperialism? Is that what you mean? If so, my answer would be that it would depend on the details of the arrangement in question. However, if you want the West and/or the rest of the world to enjoy a high level life style long term, even you seem to agree that we need alternative solutions. I will be sincerely pleased if it would turn out that you were right after all and there was a technological solution to all the inherent problems of nuclear energy. I don't consider that a realistic hope for the near to mid range future, but sure, in that case that might be viable.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  4. #94
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Dunno what you need to weigh things against. Nuclear power produces wastes that lasts for a million years and gives off over 10,000 micro Sievert gamma and alpha radiation (alpha when its plutonium). That's death when you look at it, your inner organs fail first and then your skin begins to boil, its basically like you would cook people in hot water
    This isn't the result of all possible nuclear power processes. It's the result when we use uranium, and we should all understand why uranium was the original fuel of choice...because you can also use it to make weapons. An industrial infrastructure of uranium was already in place when decisions about the types of nuclear reactors to be built were made.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  5. #95
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    This isn't the result of all possible nuclear power processes. It's the result when we use uranium, and we should all understand why uranium was the original fuel of choice...because you can also use it to make weapons. An industrial infrastructure of uranium was already in place when decisions about the types of nuclear reactors to be built were made.
    So you say we use uranium because we wanted it to build weapons with it and therefore had forgotten to test other fissionable materials that give up fluffy-radiation ?

    You dont hate me if I dont buy it I hope, but I need a break now, I am getting aserious headache from to much computer screen.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  6. #96
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    A few bugs? Wind is intermittent and only works where it's windy. Solar is intermittent and only works where it's sunny. Hydroelectric power is limited to where we have flowing water. Even when these technologies are fully developed, unless you plan to wage wars to force the rest of the world to live by your standards, these sources will never be enough. To view these sources as the solution to the world's energy problems is unrealistic. I'm not against renewable energy sources. In fact, I'm very much in favor of them. They have their place, but we must have a reliable, non-intermittent energy source.

    The potential of nuclear power is much greater. If we continue on this course, trying to completely eliminate nuclear power, we are headed for war or more coal plants, and possibly both.
    This was kind of my big picture assessment of the use of nuclear power as well, although I admittedly have not spent a lot of time studying detailed arguments on the matter.

    When's the last time there was an actual "nuclear incident" in the US, anyway?

    I lived within thirty miles of 3 Mile Island in Middletown, PA, for about 12 years; and last year I had to drive habitually by it to get to one of my destinations. It was interesting seeing it up close, after all the drama about 30 years ago or so. Still, even that was the culmination of various mistakes, a situation that is likely to not reoccur. My sense of nuclear power is probably that it resembles the airline industry: Travel by plane is far safer than traveling by car, in terms of sheer fatality numbers, but unfortunately when a plane goes down, everyone hears about it and it makes an awful mess.

    Even Chernobyl seemed to once again be a mess mostly because of operative error / laziness in not coordinating the test that led to the reactor suffering a massive power surge. It seems that the power itself is not the issue, it's the reality that human beings can be real screwups, and depending on circumstances, a failure ends up being catastrophic merely by the nature of what is being dealt with.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  7. #97
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    This isn't the result of all possible nuclear power processes. It's the result when we use uranium, and we should all understand why uranium was the original fuel of choice...because you can also use it to make weapons. An industrial infrastructure of uranium was already in place when decisions about the types of nuclear reactors to be built were made.
    Are you saying that using something other than uranium would make the process considerably less dangerous? I've never heard that theory before.

    Can you provide any links explaining this?

  8. #98
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    This was kind of my big picture assessment of the use of nuclear power as well, although I admittedly have not spent a lot of time studying detailed arguments on the matter.

    When's the last time there was an actual "nuclear incident" in the US, anyway?

    I lived within thirty miles of 3 Mile Island in Middletown, PA, for about 12 years; and last year I had to drive habitually by it to get to one of my destinations. It was interesting seeing it up close, after all the drama about 30 years ago or so. Still, even that was the culmination of various mistakes, a situation that is likely to not reoccur. My sense of nuclear power is probably that it resembles the airline industry: Travel by plane is far safer than traveling by car, in terms of sheer fatality numbers, but unfortunately when a plane goes down, everyone hears about it and it makes an awful mess.

    Even Chernobyl seemed to once again be a mess mostly because of operative error / laziness in not coordinating the test that led to the reactor suffering a massive power surge. It seems that the power itself is not the issue, it's the reality that human beings can be real screwups, and depending on circumstances, a failure ends up being catastrophic merely by the nature of what is being dealt with.
    I am not really concerned about the security, it's the waste we never get rid off the things produce that concern me more. You have a big country and can let the stuff vanish, we cant someone will always have it in his neighbourhood
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  9. #99
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    If someone comes tomorrow and says I have the perfect solution to dispose the waste without any circumstances for anyone or anything, I am sold. I'll work in that plant, I have studied it, I am gonna sit a year with donuts at the console and wear blue jeans and a white shirt. Even paint my skin yellow if you like
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  10. #100
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    All of the above is off topic, personal and unneccessarily aggressive.
    None of that was off topic, unless pointing out logical flaws in your argument is now off topic. Whether or not it is unnecessarily aggressive is your opinion. I disagree. My tone became more aggressive the more people whined about "personal attacks".

    As for the on topic arguments you gave: Much of that is already being addressed and I thinki nobody suggested only one form of renewables but rather a mix, depending on the region. I also fail to see how "we" would have to impose "our lifestyle" by force to generate that energy. Please explain. Are you referring to those gigantomanic plans of building giant solar plants in the Sahara? As some form of imperialism? Is that what you mean? If so, my answer would be that it would depend on the details of the arrangement in question. However, if you want the West and/or the rest of the world to enjoy a high level life style long term, even you seem to agree that we need alternative solutions. I will be sincerely pleased if it would turn out that you were right after all and there was a technological solution to all the inherent problems of nuclear energy. I don't consider that a realistic hope for the near to mid range future, but sure, in that case that might be viable.
    What I mean is that non-Western nations are going to build whatever they want, unless we use force to stop them. Iran wants to build nuclear power plants and I don't think the Chinese people are too concerned with your ideas on environmentalism. I don't think renewable energy sources will be enough to satiate these other nations. They will want something more reliable. Given our current technology (we have yet to conquer fusion, and I'm sure there will be lots of anti-fusion people coming out of the woodwork if we ever turn that into a viable energy source), the choices are coal and nuclear as far as reliable energy sources are concerned. I'd rather that we had a good nuclear power plant design to give them rather than them build older generation nuclear plants or more coal plants. That is the choice I believe we will inevitably be faced with.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Similar Threads

  1. Islamist plot to blow up Eiffel Tower, Louvre and nuclear power plant foiled
    By Kullervo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 07-13-2014, 12:45 AM
  2. The Australian Election and Religion
    By darlets in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-13-2007, 05:06 PM
  3. [NT] The NT Rationale and Rightness
    By Spartan in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-20-2007, 05:28 PM
  4. Suicide and social power
    By labyrinthine in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-04-2007, 03:04 AM
  5. "The Shield" MBTI and E-types...
    By The Ü™ in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-27-2007, 06:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO