User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Oberon logic alone would suggest that everyone cant be a millionaire, like I say what would be the point of being a millionaire in the first place?
    Can't or aren't willing? Any idea what it takes to become one?

This would be no different than people suggesting mutiliation to someone like Audrey Hepburn, since she was born with so much beauty. Or is it wrong if someone like Reese Witherspoon who is pretty but not gorgeous, wish she looked like Megan Fox? Should Reese then be mutilated since she has more physical beauty than others less fortunate?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I'm actually quite aware that a person will always want more, and I count on it. The issue at hand here is the difference between wanting more and not deeming yourself well off.
    If there is a nagging emptiness within a person, a need to be fulfilled, it can cause distress. Many who endure much suffering do so without serious objections, either expressed or internalized. And many who endure the most insignificant annoyances will tell the world of their insurmountable pains. It isn't an "issue", but it is merely a different perspective on life.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I admittedly haven't been reading what Lark has said very closely, but I certainly my stance doesn't amount to "rich people are whining so coerce them into giving their money".

I'm actually quite aware that a person will always want more, and I count on it. The issue at hand here is the difference between wanting more and not deeming yourself well off.
    That's not my view either, it seems to be a view that's been attributed to me, by Oberon, as a result of my ethnicity apparently which I'm not sure how that comes into it but anyway. Jenaphor's gone off on some ill tempered rant about hypocrisy too, I reckon the topic must be pretty personal to her. I think you've summed up the topic well there.

Oh sorry, Oberon and Jenaphor.
    I've had a lot of exposure throughout my life with both self-made and inherited wealthy individuals in general. Many are driven and many give a lot back to society both or either monetarily and with time and effort. There are some who are absolute jerks but like the rest of the population, most are pretty decent people.

I don't feel sorry for them. But I do find hypocrisy distasteful. People need to put their money where their mouths are.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Can't. Definitely can't. It's not structurally possible for everyone to be rich and that should be obvious.

This would be no different than people suggesting mutiliation to someone like Audrey Hepburn, since she was born with so much beauty. Or is it wrong if someone like Reese Witherspoon who is pretty but not gorgeous, wish she looked like Megan Fox? Should Reese then be mutilated since she has more physical beauty than others less fortunate?
    No different? They are extremely different. Ranging from the fact that Hepburn was innately genetically inclined to look like that, to the fact that there's no guarantee that earning wealth is a reflection of merit, to the fact that I can hardly see how mutilating oneself would provide utility to anyone else or society as a structure, to the fact that money is a means rather than and end while to value of beauty is basically an end.. etc.. I just stopped after about 30 seconds. That;s what I came up with in 30 seconds. What could I do in thirsty minutes? I'm somewhat flummoxed you even said that.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    ...because economic opportunities have become very thin on the ground, dude. Very thin indeed.
    So how do you propose to the poor people that they work their way to wealth?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Cant.

No there's no equivalence at all in what you're suggesting to the topic of the OP or even the discussion since really.

Oberon

Oberon logic alone would suggest that everyone cant be a millionaire, like I say what would be the point of being a millionaire in the first place?
    Do you think that millionaires pile up all that money just for the purpose of being richer than their neighbors? That probably happens from time to time, but when it does, it's absurd... as the very idea is absurd. Wealthy people often get wealthy as a side-effect of being really good or really persistent at doing something, in addition to which they have to be smart with their money. A lot of family farmers are millionaires, truth be told... but hardly any of their capital is liquid. It's all tied up in land, physical plant, equipment, and sometimes livestock. These guys didn't get "rich" to get rich; rather, they got rich in total assets because that's what it took to keep the family farm running.

With regard to "everybody can't be a millionaire," I guess that's true, though I disagree that "logic alone" suggests it. It's logical to me that most people aren't going to become wealthy; but it does not follow that because Person A is wealthy, Person B can't be. If I have a dollar more than you have, it does not follow that I gained that dollar at your expense. The economy is not a zero-sum game, and won't be until the whole planet is operating at its carrying capacity for people.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I've had a lot of exposure throughout my life with both self-made and inherited wealthy individuals in general. Many are driven and many give a lot back to society both or either monetarily and with time and effort. There are some who are absolute jerks but like the rest of the population, most are pretty decent people.

I don't feel sorry for them. But I do find hypocrisy distasteful. People need to put their money where their mouths are.
    Oh alright. I see why you've responsed to what you may perceive as personal criticism of these people who are no doubt important to you.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Compairing genetic traits to greed and opportunity and circumstance and choice is one hell of a strawman argument, and is almost as weak as the crack about the Irish.

If this is what we're up against folks, we win. LOL.

Can't. Definitely can't. It's not structurally possible for everyone to be rich and that should be obvious.
    Let's look at the 1500's as an extreme comparison. Would you say that the average person today, has far,far more material wealth than in the 1500's?
    No different? They are extremely different. Ranging from the fact that Hepburn was innately genetically inclined to look like that, to the fact that there's no guarantee that earning wealth is a reflection of merit, to the fact that I can hardly see how mutilating oneself would provide utility to anyone else or society as a structure, to the fact that money is a means rather than and end while to value of beauty is basically an end.. etc.. I just stopped after about 30 seconds. That;s what I came up with in 30 seconds. What could I do in thirsty minutes? I'm somewhat flummoxed you even said that.
    Mutilation of those born more fortunate would level the dating playing field for the average to less fortunate, right?