User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    People do love their anecdotes.

Macro-analysis shows that financial mobility has seriously stagnated in the USA for decades. I don't particularly care to hear the story of how your friend Bob or your cousin Stan happened to be one of the people that moved around a bit.
    This is true. Perhaps its restricted to people Oberon knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    What hypocrisy is that? How do you know he doesn't give to charity? Studies show that poorer people tend to tip better than the wealthy.

So where is the hypocrisy?
    Read the thread. You'll find bad things should happen to individuals who are wealthy. If you read the article, you'll note that the "millionaires" aren't whining. They were specifically polled and asked questions of feeling wealthy or not and at what point, by a wealth management company. That they didn't feel wealthy until a level of $7.5M, doesn't mean they're whining hence should have to endure physical violence or have their wealth ripped away.

If this article was a blog written by a millionaire whining about his/her lack of wealth and how unfortunate his/her life is, that would be a whole 'nother ballgame.

MBTI
    INTP

People want what they can't have. There is always something one cannot have. Therefore, we will always want more. Therefore, this analysis of millionaires is compatible with the simple truths in life.

After all, one can always improve himself or herself. Why wouldn't this apply to money?

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    This is true. Perhaps its restricted to people Oberon knows.
    No. It's not.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    That's because, unless you're a graduate student in sociology or economics, you don't have any of your own hard data of your own. Anecdotes are all you've got.

Even if this is true, it's a generality. A couple of things are certain... one is that you can't use the odds to predict what will happen in a particular case. Another is that you can actually influence outcomes in particular cases by way of the attitude you adopt.

Which don't look good for you, MP.
    Oberon logic alone would suggest that everyone cant be a millionaire, like I say what would be the point of being a millionaire in the first place?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    That they didn't feel wealthy until a level of $7.5M, doesn't mean they're whining hence should have to endure physical violence or have their wealth ripped away.
    I admittedly haven't been reading what Lark has said very closely, but I certainly my stance doesn't amount to "rich people are whining so coerce them into giving their money".

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    People want what they can't have. There is always something one cannot have. Therefore, we will always want more. Therefore, this analysis of millionaires is compatible with the simple truths in life.

After all, one can always improve himself or herself. Why wouldn't this apply to money?
    I'm actually quite aware that a person will always want more, and I count on it. The issue at hand here is the difference between wanting more and not deeming yourself well off.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

None here either. Just addressing hypocrisy.
    Yeah, you got off topic pretty quickly and choose to argue with projections from your own mind. It seems pretty emotive to me.

Read the thread. You'll find bad things should happen to individuals who are wealthy. If you read the article, you'll note that the "millionaires" aren't whining. They were specifically polled and asked questions of feeling wealthy or not and at what point, by a wealth management company. That they didn't feel wealthy until a level of $7.5M, doesn't mean they're whining hence should have to endure physical violence or have their wealth ripped away.

If this article was a blog written by a millionaire whining about his/her lack of wealth and how unfortunate his/her life is, that would be a whole 'nother ballgame.
    I'm sure you're going to support that with quotes.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    1: What's your point? No, a odds do not guarantee what happens in a particular case, but they can help you to predict, particularly to the more thorough the information behind the formulation of the odds is. The reality is that distribution of wealth here is very hyperbolic, and data shows people aren't moving up very much. Your man pulling himself up by his boot straps is the exception that proves the rule. Why do you think that is?
    ...because economic opportunities have become very thin on the ground, dude. Very thin indeed.

No. It's not.
    Oh sorry, Oberon and Jenaphor.