User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Hmm, why do you hope that?
    It means that hypocrisy is ripe.

What's that even supposed to mean?
    That means that if you really believe so much of your proselytizing, you'd actively gather material wealth and give it away to those less fortunate. Lead by example instead of by text.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    It means that hypocrisy is ripe.
    Since you're reaching for the personal insults so soon you've obviously got nothing to say.

That means that if you really believe so much of your proselytizing, you'd actively gather material wealth and give it away to those less fortunate. Lead by example instead of by text.
    Proselytizing? Really? Where'd you read that?

You've lost me I'm afraid, the thread's topic as I understand it is about millionaires sense of sufficiency or satisfaction with their wealth, and also tax evasion or aversion to a certain extent, but you're discussing my personal charitability?

Oberon

Anyway, rags to riches stories are a bit like Robinson Crusoe tales, vital in keeping the fantasies which underpin the present pattern of distribution in place but I dont think they're anymore an accurate depiction of reality than other fairytales.
    I disagree. I've known too many of these folks... people who have a knack for selling real estate, people who got involved in high-tech and saw a market niche nobody else could see, people who worked their way up from flipping burgers to being night-shift manager at the fast-food joint and eventually was offered a franchise of his own... I can't help but notice a common theme in all these stories, and that's that not a single one of these people got ahead by sitting behind a keyboard and bitching on the internet. That immediately knocks me out of the running.

I know a guy who, back in the 1970s, put together a business plan and took it to his bank, to propose a venture capital loan to buy a small hotel. He got into the hotel business and prospered... but in those early years he didn't sleep much. Now he owns several hotels, some of them emphatically not small. He can't keep all the books himself... it's too much for one person... but he still audits them regularly, because it's his business. If he doesn't work it it'll fall apart on him. This guy who can vacation anywhere he wants to in the world still works his business, because that's how he got where he is. That's how it's done.

Oberon

Oh... and about that McDonald's... if you get the franchise and you're not a millionaire, just work it for a bit and you soon will be.

Hmm, why do you hope that?
    Since you're reaching for the personal insults so soon you've obviously got nothing to say.

Proselytizing? Really? Where'd you read that?

You've lost me I'm afraid, the thread's topic as I understand it is about millionaires sense of sufficiency or satisfaction with their wealth, and also tax evasion or aversion to a certain extent, but you're discussing my personal charitability?
    Shift and dodge all you want but it's all text. Text is meaningless unless put to real life action. Go do it. Make a serious difference in the world. Give away everything above and beyond basic human needs to survive (including the luxury of Internet connection) and then go gather some more wealth to give away. Be an honest leader, someone who's willing to put his money and life towards making a difference to the less fortunate. And then it wouldn't be hypocritical to suggest that other wealthy individuals should too, gift away their own material wealth. For that matter, is it also possible that some of those self-same "millionaires" are already donating sizable amounts to charitable causes?

I hate rich people.
    As if we didn't already know that.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oh, so now I see *exactly* what is wrong in this country.

People are fucking delusional.

I should have already known that.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Lark is Irish. In his mythology the rich are evil by definition.
    ...and nationalist.

Exiting the thread now, as I'd like to actually enjoy my morning.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I've known too many of these folks... people who have a knack for selling real estate, people who got involved in high-tech and saw a market niche nobody else could see, people who worked their way up from flipping burgers to being night-shift manager at the fast-food joint and eventually was offered a franchise of his own... I can't help but notice a common theme in all these stories, and that's that not a single one of these people got ahead by sitting behind a keyboard and bitching on the internet.
    I know many, as well. It's called, "Get up off your lazy ass and make it happen." There's nothing "rare" about it, at all.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

You're all going for a soft target.
    Go to sleep, iguana.