User Tag List

First 11192021

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I doubt that's what he's saying at all, as that would be flat-out, non-productive Soviet communism.

I think he's also making the point of some people work VERY HARD and aren't paid as well as they should be, while others barely lift a finger and have more wealth than they could ever spend.

I don't think wanting people to be able to survive or have basic healthcare or things of that nature take away anyone's incentive to work or achieve. People are still going to have to work, and still will get paid different amounts of money.
    Indeed. I speak for no one else, but if you take it from me, I say that the degree of financial inequality is unnecessarily and dysfunctionally high, on top of the fact that the distribution of wealth is not broken down the lines of individual merit.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    you make it sound like everyone inherently deserves the same standard of living regardless of how hard they work, how productive they are or how inovative they are. this is simple not true. there would be no incentive to work otherwise
    On the other hand, past a certain point further personal income really is academic - a million a year is high, but perhaps something to aim for with hard work and entrepreneurship. But 100 million a year is excessive and arguably should be taxed significantly. Rather than the taxpayer leave the country, it is likely that instead that money would remain invested in the economy instead of being withdrawn as personal income.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    On the other hand, past a certain point further personal income really is academic - a million a year is high, but perhaps something to aim for with hard work and entrepreneurship. But 100 million a year is excessive and arguably should be taxed significantly. Rather than the taxpayer leave the country, it is likely that instead that money would remain invested in the economy instead of being withdrawn as personal income.
    I agree completely. I've been thinking something like this for years. There's a certain level of wealthy so great that all additional wealth is inconsequential to the earner and can't or at least certainly shouldn't factor into motivation.

You know how we have this distinction between necessity and luxury? There's a lot of disagreement on what a person must be able to get to leave necessity and pass the threshold of luxury (is health care one of those things? Much of the world seems to say yes, the USA does not). While those disagreements exist, the concept itself is accepted pretty broadly. Well, I propose another threshold. It does not remain luxury infinitely beyond. There reaches a level of wealth so great that it brings in good the consumer cannot even appreciate as luxury. There is a point where a person's financial capacity exceeds their own comprehension, and all additional dollars, even if it be hundreds of millions, is effectively irrelevant. At that point one takes essentially to take, as there is no other utility to the money. It is avarice. It is the point when luxury becomes avarice. I don't see it as beneficial to anyone in society including the person amassing that wealth, and it certainly is harmful to society in all kinds of ways I can think of. Ideally, no one person should ever pass that threshold.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    you make it sound like everyone inherently deserves the same standard of living regardless of how hard they work, how productive they are or how inovative they are. this is simple not true. there would be no incentive to work otherwise
    No; just answering the broad assumption that it the system works out that fairly to begin with. As Marm said, there's a lot of people who do work hard, and not all rich people's wealth is proportional to their actual "productivity". So if we sometimes say that things are lopsided, we should not be told "you're just not productive enough". Defenders of capitalism really know it is not that perfectly fair, for at other times, when defending the system, they are the ones telling us "life's not fair". That is, until they're complaining about taxes again, then they expect it to be "fair" again.
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    "Don't hate the player... hate the game."
    The game, which it is I hate, is this getting people in the trenches to blame those beside or below them for everything wrong in both groups' lives.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas