First 1018192021 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    most rich people start from very humble backgrounds.
    Statistics shows otherwise.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yeah, I think making the 2nd million is easier than the 1st
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    It also ignores, for even those who might have started off humble, the various other factors involved. Timing. Who they knew. I would even say personality (type, temperament, etc), which affect stuff like "discipline, will and motivation". Everybody can't be like them, nor should they have to, just to survive in the economy.
    But of course, they have a whole political movement voicing for them, the whole everyone lower down is "wishing to do nothing with their lives yet still being angry at having to reap the consequences of their actions" rhetoric. And then, "all the burden is placed on them as responsible citizens to finance the entire country, the rest of whom appear to just want free handouts".
    I don't think a lot of people are angry that they are not rich. They are angry because they are the ones who have to bear the burden, including higher prices, lower quality, and taxes that go to benefit those on top, not just this [grossly overblown] group of supposed freeloaders.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    It also ignores, for even those who might have started off humble, the various other factors involved. Timing. Who they knew. I would even say personality (type, temperament, etc), which affect stuff like "discipline, will and motivation". Everybody can't be like them, nor should they have to, just to survive in the economy.
    But of course, they have a whole political movement voicing for them, the whole everyone lower down is "wishing to do nothing with their lives yet still being angry at having to reap the consequences of their actions" rhetoric. And then, "all the burden is placed on them as responsible citizens to finance the entire country, the rest of whom appear to just want free handouts".
    I don't think a lot of people are angry that they are not rich. They are angry because they are the ones who have to bear the burden, including higher prices, lower quality, and taxes that go to benefit those on top, not just this [grossly overblown] group of supposed freeloaders.
    Yes, exactly, they just want the benefits for themselves. The mythology they've created doesn't value anything excepting the ability to make money. While making money is a valuable gift - in society we also need philosophers, scientists, nurses, teachers, mothers, etc.

Society is made up of more people than business people, movie stars, models, and hookers. We can't have a fully functioning society if we don't value the people who could potentially become the next Einstein or Descartes. It's really unbalanced and out of whack. It makes no sense at all.

I don't hate these fuckers because I'm a freeloader (I've worked since I was sixteen, actually started baby-sitting when I was thirteen) I hate these fuckers because they want to take away healthcare from working people, they want to take education away from non-wealthy citizens, and they would for the most part allow the disabled and the aged to die in the streets.

These people need to be taken down.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Statistics show otherwise.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I hate these fuckers because they want to take away healthcare from working people, they want to take education away from non-wealthy citizens...
    The rationale; if they would stop being lazy and pull themselves up to the top like these "productive" people you are "envying", then they wouldn't need healthcare...
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Two quotes come to mind:

"Don't hate the player... hate the game."

"Don't get mad, get even."

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    Yet it is well known that gains income of the past few decades have been highly top-heavy in distribution. As such, I presume that a statistic like this:

1. According to a study of Federal Reserve data conducted by NYU professor Edward Wolff, for the nation’s richest 1%, inherited wealth accounted for only 9% of their net worth in 2001, down from 23% in 1989. (The 2001 number was the latest available.)
    Tells that me a person inherited relative wealth and then stumbled into massive wealth.

Another thing to look into is that it specifies certain exact kinds of people and assesses what amount of their wealth is inherited. This kind of figure could be heavily distorted by the fact that say, Bill Gates (who was certainly not born poor) has amassed a titanic amount of money since his birth, so large that it can heavily skew figures. Perhaps we should ask what percentage of all money in the USA is in the hands of people by inheritance. Perhaps we should also set a bar for a certain minimum amount of money inherited and count how many people are there.

At any rate, if you are looking at someone who is born rich, and then look at them at the end of their lives, I would expect them to have "earned" considerable amounts of money. Wealth begets wealth. Who born among the rich would not make any gains?

Final point; I can actually agree with the Republicans when they say the current legal definition of being rich is rather low (though toward the opposite goals as them). The increasingly hyperbolic distribution of wealth means being there's a lot of room for going from being officially rich to super rich.

Only something like 3% of Americans make $200,000 annually, and that's the bottom of richness. That's still so extremely small compared to the top. The top half a percent make much more than that, and so on. We should look how many people actually make it from one bracket to another? How many get from the bottom 10% into the top 10%? How many even get from the middle 20% to the top 10%? And consider that reaching the top 10% only means making a little of $100,000 annually....
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    you make it sound like everyone inherently deserves the same standard of living regardless of how hard they work, how productive they are or how inovative they are. this is simple not true. there would be no incentive to work otherwise
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    you make it sound like everyone inherently deserves the same standard of living regardless of how hard they work, how productive they are or how inovative they are. this is simple not true. there would be no incentive to work otherwise
    I doubt that's what he's saying at all, as that would be flat-out, non-productive Soviet communism.

I think he's also making the point of some people work VERY HARD and aren't paid as well as they should be, while others barely lift a finger and have more wealth than they could ever spend.

I don't think wanting people to be able to survive or have basic healthcare or things of that nature take away anyone's incentive to work or achieve. People are still going to have to work, and still will get paid different amounts of money.