User Tag List

First 123412 Last

I'm sorry that your vacationing home costs too much.

MBTI
    nerd

four in ten millionaires need to be murdered and have their money stolen.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

A million bucks is actually not that much money -- it's about as much as an upper-middle class family has sunk into their house. So a legitimate case can be made that you can't really be considered "wealthy" without at least a $10 million net worth. Well-off? sure, but if you retire tomorrow with a million bucks invested then you'd only have 100k a year or someshit. Decent, comfy, but not really rich; especially if you have a family (and especially if you have a large family).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

You might be surprised at how many retired couples fit the article's description of millionaire.

I don't resent other's wealth. There are more than enough self-made millionaires and if people are willing to put heart and soul into making money, that's their business.

As far as not feeling wealthy until they hit $7.5M, that also comes as no surprise. If you take a 50 year old and stretch it out to age 90 without factoring in any return, that's around $187,500/annum. It's not unusual to pay $7K/m for full care retirement homes. Since there are two retirees in every couple, that would cost them $3,360,000 for 20 years without including inflation, medication and any other extraneous medical costs which can be a lot for older people.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    You might be surprised at how many retired couples fit the article's description of millionaire.

I don't resent other's wealth. There are more than enough self-made millionaires and if people are willing to put heart and soul into making money, that's their business.

As far as not feeling wealthy until they hit $7.5M, that also comes as no surprise. If you take a 50 year old and stretch it out to age 90 without factoring in any return, that's around $187,500/annum. It's not unusual to pay $7K/m for full care retirement homes. Since there are two retirees in every couple, that would cost them $3,360,000 for 20 years without including inflation, medication and any other extraneous medical costs which can be a lot for older people.
    Someone give this woman a medal.

This is EXACTLY what I'm saying. Being a millionaire doesn't mean being a corrupt magnate on top of the world -- a decent nest egg for a middle class individual will run well over a million dollars. I have a friend with a salary in the low 6 figures (works high-end industrial sales), who has a million dollars set aside just for insurance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I'm not angry with millionaires like those referenced in this poll. It's the billionaires that I have a problem with.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Oh come on, rich people aren't Captain Planet villains (my buddy's dad is, but that doesn't count because he's awesome and trollish and shit)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    Oh come on, rich people aren't Captain Planet villains (my buddy's dad is, but that doesn't count because he's awesome and trollish and shit)
    I steal oil tankers just to crash them into beaches covered with baby seals. You don't have to have assets to be a Captain Planet villain.

Go Planet!

Correct definitions:

income > expenditure = rich, invest in assets
    expenditure > income = poor, consume assets

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    A man knows no anguish quite as agonizing as having his 90' yacht passed by a 105' yacht...
    Either of these would cost tens of millions to purchase and run over 5 years.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    Of course they're not. And this is about the best defense of their behavior that you can make (mostly talking about Wall Street), "at least we're not Captain Planet villains".
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by fripping View Post
    four in ten millionaires need to be murdered and have their money stolen.
    Four in ten millionaires need to be murdered and have their money stolen because they are whiney assholes. A bunch of the other millionaires need it for being other kinds of assholes.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?