User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I hold no ill will for the type of people you describe here. These people deserve to be praised. My angst is directed more at Wall Street (billionaires) which has diverged far from its original purpose, which was a place for "real" businesses (ones that actually produce wealth...finance does not produce wealth, it only transfers wealth) to acquire capital. Wall Street no longer serves the interests of society as a whole, it serves its own interests and has rigged the game where it wins regardless of the outcome for everyone else.
    I can agree with that, although the idea that millionaries are unhappy or find their wealth insuffiencet to me is indicative of the reason why I think great or grave disparities in wealth are problematic at all, at a certain point peoples wealth results in their in an inability to relate to others or empathise with them. People literally do end up inhabiting different worlds, social cohesion takes a hit, the rich are more willing that ever to gamble with the livelihood of the much less privileged.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Oberon its structurally impossible for everyone to be a millionaire, as I said waht would the point be of being a millionaire if everyone were a millionaire? Understand?
    Actually, NO, I DO NOT understand.

What do you think "the point" of being a millionaire is? People don't stack up that pile of money to make a point.

There is such a thing as a standard of living, and I do believe that the people in a given community can have a higher standard of living.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Mutilation of those born more fortunate would level the dating playing field for the average to less fortunate, right?
    You seem to be blissfully unaware of how successful Reese Witherspoon has been at marrying and reproducing, or even more pertinently, how many plain or overweight people are happily married with children.

Other factors go into dating and mating than facial structure - you know, stuff like personality, character, intelligence, emotional warmth...even money.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    So you don't think that has shaped Lark's outlook at all then?
    I'm still waiting for you to support your point about the Irish.

Oberon

Wealth could well be the dividend or reward paid for business accumin and fiscal liberacy, well and good if it is, more often I would suggest that it is a consequence of class struggles or similar factors, if you need a reference for that I'd suggest that you read, not Marx but books like McMafia, although I'll understand if you'd rather dismiss that as so much sociology in favour of your own anecdotal evidence. The discussion's pretty much at an end at that point though, when you're not prepared to consider sources or evidence as credible.
    What makes you think I'm at that point?

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    You seem to be blissfully unaware of how successful Reese Witherspoon has been at marrying and reproducing, or even more pertinently, how many plain or overweight people are happily married with children.

Other factors go into dating and mating than facial structure - you know, stuff like personality, character, intelligence, emotional warmth...even money.
    Reese isn't the point. Go back to my point.

It appears that some who don't have, covet what the ones they disparage, have. That's the bottom line and all the posturing about societal good, has strong elements of self-interest and hypocrisy.

More along the lines of wanting the critical to act in a way that's being suggested to those who are in a different socio-economic strata. Be what you claim to hold up as the standard for others or you're nothing but a hypocrite.
    What do I claim to hold up as the standard for otheres? Do please support it citations. I'd appreciate it if you could stop insulting me.

Oberon

I'm still waiting for you to support your point about the Irish.
    I apologized to Marm about that, and I have apologized to you.

If you want me to explain where I was going with it I can, but I'd just as soon let it go if that's all right with you.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    So what, your telling me that 4 out of 10 rich people feel that they don't have enough fincical security? Oh boo-hoo them. Greedy bastards like that have no idea how difficult it is to make a living in the middle class alone, nevermind how hard it is to live a decent life in poverty. But their seriously going to admit that they feel they aren't well off and bitch about having to pay more taxes, even though thier the ones who should pay more taxes in the first place . . . :steam:
    Quote Originally Posted by fripping View Post
    four in ten millionaires need to be murdered and have their money stolen.
    Good point there, I was going to see if I could make it some how too, although the self-made millionaires arent that common Oberon, we cant all be millionaires afterward otherwise what would the point of having a million be?

Anyway, rags to riches stories are a bit like Robinson Crusoe tales, vital in keeping the fantasies which underpin the present pattern of distribution in place but I dont think they're anymore an accurate depiction of reality than other fairytales.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I take no issue with millionaires. Self-made millionaires are fine. But when they start bitching about not having enough money, it's really time for a reality check.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    A million bucks is actually not that much money -- it's about as much as an upper-middle class family has sunk into their house. So a legitimate case can be made that you can't really be considered "wealthy" without at least a $10 million net worth. Well-off? sure, but if you retire tomorrow with a million bucks invested then you'd only have 100k a year or someshit. Decent, comfy, but not really rich; especially if you have a family (and especially if you have a large family).
    You might be surprised at how many retired couples fit the article's description of millionaire.

I don't resent other's wealth. There are more than enough self-made millionaires and if people are willing to put heart and soul into making money, that's their business.

As far as not feeling wealthy until they hit $7.5M, that also comes as no surprise. If you take a 50 year old and stretch it out to age 90 without factoring in any return, that's around $187,500/annum. It's not unusual to pay $7K/m for full care retirement homes. Since there are two retirees in every couple, that would cost them $3,360,000 for 20 years without including inflation, medication and any other extraneous medical costs which can be a lot for older people.
    I think a lot of people are misunderstanding the article. I would venture to guess that the vast majority of people it refers to are retired or near retirement. They want to have enough money to live out the rest of their life comfortably. They have worked their ass off for years, saved and invested. If you are 56 and thinking of retiring, 1M isn't very much money as Jenaphor and and Alexsei have stated and it is actually quite common for people to build a their retirement investments to well beyond 1M. It is understandable how someone with a few million that has 30 years ahead of them does not feel wealthy. They're not.

"Despite their confidence, four in 10 millionaires report that their most pressing financial concern is securing enough resources to support their lifestyle during retirement, yet 69 percent report they have a well-developed financial plan and 81 percent say they are careful about their spending. With an average age of 56, millionaires are clearly very cognizant of key risks such as longevity, healthcare costs and withdrawal rates, and the potential impact these can have on their retirement."

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Actually, NO, I DO NOT understand.

What do you think "the point" of being a millionaire is? People don't stack up that pile of money to make a point.

There is such a thing as a standard of living, and I do believe that the people in a given community can have a higher standard of living.
    OK Oberon, the point of being a millionarie is that you are in a favourable and advantaged position to that of the rest of the non-millionaire population, if everyone were a millionaire then being a millionaire would not be that special then would it? In order to be a millionaire there must necessarily be a population of those who are not, therefore its only logical that there'll always be a population of people who cant be millionaires.