12311 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default vegans sentenced for starving their baby

Vegans Sentenced for Starving Their Baby

By GREG BLUESTEIN
    Associated Press Writer
    Published May 9, 2007, 12:13 PM CDT

ATLANTA -- A vegan couple were sentenced Wednesday to life in prison for the death of their malnourished 6-week-old baby boy, who was fed a diet largely consisting of soy milk and apple juice.

Superior Court Judge L.A. McConnell imposed the mandatory sentences on Jade Sanders, 27, and Lamont Thomas, 31. Their son, Crown Shakur, weighed just 3 1/2 pounds when he died of starvation on April 25, 2004.

The couple were found guilty May 2 of malice murder, felony murder, involuntary manslaughter and cruelty to children. A jury deliberated about seven hours before returning the guilty verdicts.

Defense lawyers said the first-time parents did the best they could while adhering to the lifestyle of vegans, who typically use no animal products. They said Sanders and Thomas did not realize the baby, who was born at home, was in danger until minutes before he died.

But prosecutors said the couple intentionally neglected their child and refused to take him to the doctor even as the baby's body wasted away.

"No matter how many times they want to say, 'We're vegans, we're vegetarians,' that's not the issue in this case," said prosecutor Chuck Boring. "The child died because he was not fed. Period."

Although the life sentences were automatic, Sanders and Thomas begged for leniency before sentencing. Sanders urged the judge to look past his "perception" of the couple.

"I loved my son -- and I did not starve him," she said.

When the judge told the defendants they could ask for a new trial, Thomas hung his head low.

"I'm dying every day in there," he said, "and that could take three years."

Vegans Sentenced for Starving Their Baby | Chicago Tribune
    Last edited by disregard; 04-19-2008 at 11:54 PM.

Would you like to contribute some of your thoughts on this ctg?

MBTI
    INFP

i have contributed a story to a current events subforum.

you're welcome.

I think your "horrendous" response was better. That is, before you got rid of it.

Some actual content would be good, or we might as well replace this forum with a set of RSS feeds from various current affairs sites.
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5

MBTI
    INFP

i don't know what an RSS feed is, but i will offer my opinion and insight.

it is horrendous, and it shows how superficial humans are that they will malnourish and starve their child to fit the mold of something they aren't even old enough to comprehend its purpose--a vegan.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by cut the grass View Post
    i don't know what an RSS feed is, but i will offer my opinion and insight.

it is horrendous, and it shows how superficial humans are that they will malnourish and starve their child to fit the mold of something they aren't even old enough to comprehend its purpose--a vegan.
    So your problem is with the parents choice, sounds like. What would you do if you were the judge?

MBTI
    INFP

Life for two.

sounds like a romantic getaway eh?

Thank you.

An RSS feed basically lets you subscribe to a news website (or any website I guess) - it gets updated as new topics get posted, so that I can click a button in Firebox and see a quick list of all of the headlines on, say, the BBC website. There's probably a more technical explanation, but it's a pretty cool way of staying up to speed and avoiding news I'm not interested in.

Anyway, the case raises some interesting questions. For instance, what does this say about the state of prenatal education? Do US midwives visit newborns soon after birth? If not, why not? Should these people be considered mentally ill, and if so what (if any) checks were run on them before the birth of their child? Should checks have been run?

It's possible that the parents felt overwhelmed by the introduction of a child into their lives, or that they were malicious, or that they were just stupid. What worries me is that this wasn't picked up at any stage prior to the death of the baby.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

The article is not very detailed and I couldn't find any that were more detailed, but it sounds to me like they were beyond stupid, but not malicious.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Langrenus View Post
    Anyway, the case raises some interesting questions. For instance, what does this say about the state of prenatal education? Do US midwives visit newborns soon after birth? If not, why not? Should these people be considered mentally ill, and if so what (if any) checks were run on them before the birth of their child? Should checks have been run?

It's possible that the parents felt overwhelmed by the introduction of a child into their lives, or that they were malicious, or that they were just stupid. What worries me is that this wasn't picked up at any stage prior to the death of the baby.
    This bothers me, too. I had one of my children at a freestanding birthing center (kind of a middle ground between the hospital and homebirth options). The prenatal education was great. Although I went home about 10 hours after my son was born, a midwife visited us 2 days after birth, and called on the 1st and 3rd days. Although we didn't have any issues with nursing, at the urging of the midwives I went in to have the baby weighed several times before my 2-week visit, to make sure he was properly gaining. I think they probably just wanted to check in with me because I was having some post-partum depression.

I know several people who have had home births and had similar experiences to mine. I've also heard some horror stories about illegal midwives refusing to go to the hospital with a hemmoraging mother and so forth. I'm sure oversight after birth varies among homebirth midwives.

Did they keep their "vegan baby diet" (totally, totally, totally against all the medical advice BTW- you either breastfeed or you use a proper infant formula) a secret from their healthcare practitioners?