User Tag List

First 1234 Last

I might just be demonstrating my woeful ignorance of all things baby related here, but (and I'm going to assume the baby was a healthy weight at birth) how the hell could any trained practitioner miss a dramatic weight loss? Surely the fact that the child wasn't gaining weight / was actively losing weight should have been obvious relatively soon after birth?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'm not sure they had a healthcare professional involved. Did I miss something?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Langrenus View Post
    I might just be demonstrating my woeful ignorance of all things baby related here, but (and I'm going to assume the baby was a healthy weight at birth) how the hell could any trained practitioner miss a dramatic weight loss? Surely the fact that the child wasn't gaining weight / was actively losing weight should have been obvious relatively soon after birth?
    It's possible that they skipped the 2 and 6 week check-ins. I don't suppose there's any way to make people go to those.

The thing is, babies often (almost always) lose weight right at first, up to about 10% of their birthweight. So even if they were in contact with their healthcare practitioner for the few days after birth, it wouldn't necessarily have been a red flag yet, especially if they lied and said they were feeding the baby real formula.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I'm not sure they had a healthcare professional involved. Did I miss something?
    No, you're probably right. I figured they had a midwife but if they're willing to feed a baby soymilk and apple juice they're probably also willing to have an unassisted homebirth.

MBTI
    INTP

... stupidity is the only universal capital crime: the sentence is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.
    Robert A. Heinlein, Time Enough For Love
    Heinlein's point is that, yes, things like this are going to happen. That's not to say the parents should not be locked up, but rather that mercy is not always merciful, or even possible.
    JBS Haldane's Four Stages of Scientific Theories:

1. This is worthless nonsense.
    2. This is an interesting, but perverse, point of view.
    3. This is true, but quite unimportant.
    4. I always said so.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Did they keep their "vegan baby diet" (totally, totally, totally against all the medical advice BTW- you either breastfeed or you use a proper infant formula) a secret from their healthcare practitioners?
    I'm wondering the same thing. Whatever, I think the parents were ignorant or stupid or both, but they're not murderers per se. They're not menaces to society, just to their own child. A more fitting punishment would be forced sterilization so they won't be able to make and kill another child.

So sad. It's hard to protect children from their own parents.

Perhaps Plato had the right idea.

MBTI
    INTJ

They should get life in prison and a steady diet of only soy milk and apple juice for their time in jail.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

It does seem strange that they didn't bother with breastfeeding even, as that seems the obvious point of the milk being produced. (I'm guessing it is automatically produced, that's what I remember hearing, but I don't know for sure.) However, it does seem that it would be an obvious thing to do, rather than try to work off soy milk and apple juice.

That was a pretty stupid way to handle a baby no matter how it's looked at.

MBTI
    INTP

Arrow This Just In

Irresponsible Vegan Parents Portray All Vegans in Bad Light!

Story at 11