User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Yes but could you eat cereal.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Yes but could you eat cereal.
    With bovine lactation on it?

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    It would surprise me if breastfeeding that late in life doesn't have some kind of effect on sexuality.
    my aunt breast-fed my cousin until he was 5.

at the time we thought it was strange, and laughed at how close their relationship was and how "soft" mikey was... but once he turned 15 he grew to be 6'3", has a low voice, and does very well with the ladies.

it's his brother that we think is gay.

so i doubt it has any effect on sexuality. i think it aides confidence. for sure. i will breast feed that long if it does.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by cut the grass View Post

at the time we thought it was strange, and laughed at how close their relationship was and how "soft" mikey was... but once he turned 15 he grew to be 6'3", has a low voice, and does very well with the ladies.

so i doubt it has any effect on sexuality. i think it aides confidence. for sure. i will breast feed that long if it does.
    My brother was 5, too, I think. He's 34 now-- a normal, healthy adult guy with a normal, healthy wife and two normal, healthy kids. It's beyond my comfort zone, personally, but I don't think it's automatically a sign of or cause of psychological disorder. 8 or 9 is so beyond any arguable "natural" age of weaning for human children that I think it probably does signal some kind of issue either with the mother or the child, or both.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I think a "normal" child will wean by 3 or 4 if allowed to self-wean, so a child who would nurse until 8 or 9 is likely not going to have a normal psyche to begin with.
    That sounds about right. My cousin, who is 15 now, is one seriously fucked up individual. I hate to say this, but I wouldn't be surprised if he grew up to be a serial rapist or one of those serial killers who chops up women and eats them in order to experience a sense of 'closeness.'

By the way, my cousin is/was SUPER sheltered, so I blame my aunt for most of his bizarre behavior. She's the one who encouraged the continued breastfeeding; as far as I know, he didn't know any differently.
    INTP

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by cut the grass View Post

O_O they can retain milk for five years??!
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    O_O they can retain milk for five years??!
    Lactation is one of those use it or lose it things AFAIK.
    Edit: For humans at least.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Yep. It's there as long as you're using it. Supply and demand.

Back in the pre-formula days there were wetnurses who had been lactating and feeding armies of children throughout their childbearing years. Some continued to produce milk well after menopause.

Incidentally, this is one reason I would not be in favor of returning to wetnursing as a fallback position when a mother can't or doesn't want to nurse the baby herself. It reduces women to a commodity on the level of dairy cows, and guess which socioeconomic strata will be forced to use their boobies to make money.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    That principle, if followed consistently, would result in some quite unjust sentences. For example, even the most careful, calm and skilled driver can make a mistake, potentially killing or serious injuring a pedestrian, fellow passanger or occupant of another vehicle.

There is a necessary economy in our testing procedures before we take action, and our physical limitations prevent, even the most skilled, from performing all the necessary checks to avoid error: ultimately infinite.

If there is a ethical principle, similar to what you describe, it would need to take into account our hypothetical driver. The amendment I envisage would be that if future behaviour is amendable by punishment, then punishment is the morally right; if future behaviour is not amendable, then no punishment is the morally wrong.

This neatly captures criminal and irresponsible behaviour in its net, but does not hold our hypothetical driver responsible for his human constraints, which nobody can overcome.

This neatly aligns with our intuitions that in circumstances where punishment is futile, punishment should not be sought. For example, we may lock up the insane, but they are not punished for bad behaviour, precisely because we know such corrective punishment would never correct anything; likewise, we do not punish snakes for acting snakish or spiders for acting spiderlike, because we know that's all they can ever act like, no amount of punishment will change that.
    you need to learn to be more concise.
    Are you seriously suggesting that the law should accommodate ignorant vegans?
    I would have thought you'd be against judicial activism.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I would have thought you'd be against judicial activism.
    Intent absolutely matters to the law. Intent is the difference between murder and manslaughter, and malice the difference between manslaughter and reckless endangerment.

It's not just action one must prove in order to be guilty of a degree of murder, but that those actions pointed to indifference or planning or malice on the part of the person comitting them. Criminal intent, and the proving thereof, is absolutely not judicial activism.
    Let's do this thing.