User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Oz and the USA

Smile Oz and the USA

To see and hear the relationship of Australia and the United States of America, type, 'Julia Gillard Congress' into Youtube.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

dear god victor... you're completely obsessive
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP

[YOUTUBE="OqWO1bURJM4"]Circlejerk between best buddies[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="RA8NgYbQIjk"]2[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="1wb4TzshXcM"]3[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Anyone have a transcript. I can't stand her accent.
    Seriously, when did she lose her perfectly good Adelaide accent and put on that 'manufactured' accent?

Oh and for the Americans, how do you think Americans would feel if your president was (a) a woman (b) an atheist (c) born in a foreign country? Would you be surprised to learn that most Australians simply don't care about those facts?

Interestingly, Obama employs a 'black dialect' when speaking to primarily black audiences as well.
    There is discussion here: http://blogs.crikey.com.au/fullysic/...nchetts-voice/

I guess it is a politician thing.

MBTI
    INTP

Given that Americans regularly elect women, atheists, and foreign-born individuals to executive positions, I would not be entirely surprised. I imagine any of these would be hot issues during the election process, but nothing that would completely hinder such an individual from being elected. None of these details are significant to me, nor am I surprised to see similar thinking in other nations, Australia included.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover it was a good speech well received by both Houses of Congress.

Pretty corny.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Pretty corny.
    But between friends, this is a good thing. I want to cringe, but I can't help smiling

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Pretty corny.
    The city of Darwin, the Capital of the Northern Territory of Australia, is the point of the spear pointing to the largest Islamic nation in the world that has never known Charles Darwin or the Enlightenment.

The shank of the spear is not inconsiderabe and consists of four Continents in a line drapped around the Earth. They are North America, South Americal, Antarctica and Australia.

We have three Treaties with the US, a military Treaty, an economic Treaty and a land Treaty, on which our security and prosperity depends.

Thank heavens we feel relaxed with our allies.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    Anyone have a transcript. I can't stand her accent.
    Seriously, when did she lose her perfectly good Adelaide accent and put on that 'manufactured' accent?

Oh and for the Americans, how do you think Americans would feel if your president was (a) a woman (b) an atheist (c) born in a foreign country? Would you be surprised to learn that most Australians simply don't care about those facts?

Interestingly, Obama employs a 'black dialect' when speaking to primarily black audiences as well.
    There is discussion here: http://blogs.crikey.com.au/fullysic/...nchetts-voice/

I guess it is a politician thing.
    What Americans may be surprised to learn is that our Prime Minister is not our Head of State, nor is Julia our Commander-in-Chief. And Julia only holds her position at the gift of her Party and also at the gift of Parliament, and it can be withdrawn by either party at any time. And our Prime Minister is not even mentioned in our Constitution.

We have discovered that power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely so we ensure Julia's power is limited.

Yes, we live in a liberal democracy based on the limitation of power. And we limit the power of our politicians so we may enjoy more freedom.