User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Oz and the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    But between friends, this is a good thing. I want to cringe, but I can't help smiling
    Yet "real mates talk straight" also.

Lest we forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Yet "real mates talk straight" also.
    I was listening to Julia answer questions on Q and A last night. They were pretty hard hitting questions and even criticized her speech in the same way you do above.

However in reply Julia did say she was aware of differences in our national characteristics. And gave an example we are all familiar with.

Julia said that in the prisoner of war camps and death camps of South East Asia during WW II, the prisoners were forced back onto their national characteristics.

Even in the death camps the British maintained their class system with no fraternising between the officers and the men, with food and medicine distributed according to class.

The Americans fell back onto their individualism and even in the death camps competed for food, abandoned the sick, and let their mates die alone, and ran a system of private ownership of food and medicine.

The Australians fell back onto the greatest good for the greatest number and ran a welfare program treating all as equals. They made sure no one died alone, the sick were attended to, and that food was shared equally.

The Australians were horrified by the class ridden British, and equally horrified by the hoarding and devil take the hindmost Americans.

In the death camps the class values of the British, and the private individualism of the Americans, seemed mad and inexplicable in the face of death.

But the extreme circumstance of the camps did provide an X-ray of our national characteristics which we have never forgotten.

That sounds so nice that I have to doubt its truth.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

That sounds so nice that I have to doubt its truth.
    Yes. Myth and ideology..

Smile Julian and Julia

Last night on the TV program, "Q & A", Julian Assange rang in all the way from Britain and asked Julia Gillard, the Prime Minister of Australia, a question.

Julian asked Julia, if she had been giving information about Australian citizens to a foreign power, should she be charged with treason?

This is an interesting question as this same foreign power wants so charge Julian with treason.

So is Julian just getting his own back or is the whole thing getting a bit silly?

Yes, I do want to hear her answer as well.

Smile Oz and the South

The Australian poet, Max Harris, visited the US and found himself most at home in the South.

For the South retained many of the manners and mores of the aristocracy, just as Oz retains the manners and mores of the Scottish and English aristocracy.

However the bourgeois North defeated the aristocratic South, and have been bad mouthing aristocracy ever since.

So when a nuclear aircraft carrier sails into Sydney Harbour and the admiral, replendent in his Whites, tells us he loves Australia and Australians, we only have to wait 'tll he leaves to wonder, "What does he really thinks of us?".

And we don't have to wonder very long, for we know what he thinks of the aristocratic South, and so we can guess what he thinks of aristocratic Oz.

Your failure to respond - not only here, by the way - is rather impolite, Victor.

Yes, I do want to hear her answer as well.
    Julia said she didn't know what Julian was talking about.

So Julian's point may have gone over Julia's head. Or perhaps she was being disingenuous.

But I took it that she didn't share Julian's political premises.

Thank you.