User Tag List

First 345

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Mac, have you ever heard of a fellow by the name of Dr. James Goodnight?

His software company, SAS Inc., is the largest sole proprietorship in the US and far and away the most favored place to work in North Carolina and likely the entire nation. For Carolina residents, a gig at SAS is the Holy Grail of jobs. Because it's not a public-traded company, there are no shareholders to appease and Dr. Goodnight retains absolute control of company operations. Aside from above-average pay and benefits...

• SAS employs two artists full-time whose job it is to provide works of art for the corporate campus.
    • SAS raises beef cattle on its property in Cary, NC, to supply beef for the company dining halls.
    • In the largest of its three major cafeterias on the corporate campus, the company employs a pianist to play a grand piano during meals.
    • Breakrooms feature coffee, tea, water, and snacks to include plain and peanut M&Ms, all offered free of charge to employees and contractors.

This is what a company can do if its operating officers are not primarily interested in getting rich. Paradoxically, Dr. Goodnight is the wealthiest man in North Carolina.
    The corporate business structure (compared to sole proprietorships) is a big part of the problem. I don't have time to explain this now. I'll try to get to it when I have time, if needed.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Yet, he's one of a very few.
    Check out 3M.

My college Global Business Ethics teacher loved 3M.

Just as ethical as Ben & Jerry's without all the self righteousness.

B&J does good things, but they really want everyone to know about how good they are.

3M just acts ethically b/c its the right thing to do.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Look at it this way... at present our country borrows about a third of its annual budget, if I remember right. In order to offset this with higher taxes, you would have to increase the overall tax rate by an equivalent inverse amount... or half-again what we're paying now, with no additional value returned for our government dollars.

If that happens, I don't know about you, but I will be bankrupted.
    That would have us at functionally equivalent rates to the pre-Reagan tax cuts, wouldn't it?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    That would have us at functionally equivalent rates to the pre-Reagan tax cuts, wouldn't it?
    Yes. I remember the Carter years.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Yes. I remember the Carter years.
    Certainly. It sucks when the price of oil goes through the roof, doesn't it?