User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    I can only hope that those reactors don't go completely [...].
    Are you not interested to see what happens when it does?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    We can be interested, yet still fear for the worst. I'm interested in so many things, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find the answer for everything. Speculation based on knowns can give us a clear view of an unknown, without the need to rush into the unknown. In this case, I am not hoping for a nuclear reactor to "go". I remain curious, but I would do all that I could to prevent this unknown from becoming known, because although we discern more by learning about the unknown, we also suffer more by taking this route. It would be morally reprehensible to seek truths at the expense of the livelihood of another person.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Yeah, but I've also been told to lie and claim Canadian descent, or something equally petty while traveling abroad. I don't even think I own an American flag. If I do, I am unaware of it. We're definitely on the same page though.
    It doesn't mean you take a flag with you - it means you have a little flag on a backpack, or a luggage tag or something. But ya, don't pretend to be Canadian - someone will expect you to speak French!
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by Nicodemus
    No, as I don't find nuclear fallout, ruined living areas, or endangered human lives interesting in the least.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Thankfully, if you search Facebook there are just as many comments berating that attitude.

What was that old saw about those who don't learn history? *cough*Hiroshima*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    It doesn't mean you take a flag with you - it means you have a little flag on a backpack, or a luggage tag or something. But ya, don't pretend to be Canadian - someone will expect you to speak French!
    Yes, that typical American thing where a person brings those tiny little flag. The ones where a little kid can hold with no problem.

French is spoken on the West Coast of Canada? Thought it was mostly in and around Quebec.

I don't know if it's already been pointed out, but someone pointed out to me how interesting it was that despite all the tragedy and chaos etc., there have been no reports of looting, vandalism, fighting, or general insanity to my knowledge. Could the same be said if natural disaster struck here?

I cannot imagine what it must be like over there right now. Any suggested charitable organizations to donate to?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    Officially 200+ but there are unconfirmed reports of police in the northeast finding a couple of hundred bodies washed up on the beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I don't know if it's already been pointed out, but someone pointed out to me how interesting it was that despite all the tragedy and chaos etc., there have been no reports of looting, vandalism, fighting, or general insanity to my knowledge. Could the same be said if natural disaster struck here?
    Sounds like a fat chance.

Quote Originally Posted by CNN
    Do you have confidence in U.S. disaster preparedness?

No 79% 159753
    Yes 21% 41609
    I would say many places around the San Andreas fault may be ill-prepared, especially building wise. The fault line may not be as crazy as the other types, but if it were to hit a major city, hell may break lose just like the 1906 earthquake. Japan is probably better prepared because they have earthquakes very often.

To make matters worse, many other infrastructures aren't as up to date. My city found out that a few years ago, the levees used to prevent floods around here were.... old.... really old..... If the levees were to break, or a major storm system were to come, it might have been like a Katrina.

What did it take to find out? A long month of constant rain.

I cannot imagine what it must be like over there right now. Any suggested charitable organizations to donate to?
    How you can help.

There may be a couple other groups missing.

Also, look at the middle of the page on the right side.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

No. Our culture is largely selfish and competitive, and theirs cooperative.

In fact, I've witnessed comments on-line of Americans complaining about us aiding the Japanese at all.

We're a country full of really warm, compassionate people.