User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

That reactor is making things worse.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapc...pt=T1&iref=BN1

MBTI
    IsFJ

Has anyone else been seeing a trend of people berating those who are worried about Japan, thinking they are doing so because of the cultural industry instead of the population and asking why they don't show their support for other countries affected by natural disasters? Or have I been spending way too much time on DeviantArt?

I believe it has to do with the term weeaboo/Japanophile/Otaku. You know, people who are extremely into Japan and wants to know what they can about it. Sometimes to the point that anything happening in Japan becomes a big deal. However, it has kind of gotten out of hand. A tragedy is a tragedy.

But hey, I still think people should be allowed to be worried when tragedy comes. I mean, I watched the news when Haiti happened, I watched the news when the Sichuan earthquake happened, I watched the news when Katrina happened,... I still remember about the giant tsunami that happened in 2004.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

US military aid operation in Japan is named "Operation Tomodachi (Friend)". That was an unexpectedly sweet gesture.

My Japanese friends on twitter are very touched by all the concern, and quite a few apparently cried when they heard about "Operation Tomodachi". Many are really really grateful and emotionally overwhelmed by the help that the international community has offered. On the other hand, I also see stupid references to Pearl Harbour "karma" trending and I get really upset...

Natural disasters really show the best and worst of people.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

It is true that Western/advanced countries get more attention when disaster strikes. Which is unfair because human lives are equally valuable everywhere (though you wouldn't know it from the way the world functions, and the media.)

In my case I can say that I am more riveted to the news when it is a place I have visited and/or I have friends there. I've been to Japan twice, though not this area (except I have been to Tokyo), and I have friends in the Tokyo area as well as well away from the danger zone. I found out about the earthquake on Friday morning where I live, because a friend (local) texted me and said there had been a massive quake. And I was really frightened as I didn't know where it was in Japan and my best friend and her husband live right in the area hit worst by the Kobe quake fifteen years ago (she wasn't there at the time, but her Japanese husband grew up in the area). So I was pretty scared for a few minutes until I logged on and at least found out that my friends were ok, as hideous as the news has been otherwise.

I was in Egypt in September, in Cairo the whole time, so I was hanging out right where the fighting and demonstrations were months later, basically every day. That was strange too and also meant I was totally riveted to the news about the revolution.

I think some people will always choose to doubt people's motives over their reaction to something like this. Sympathy is sympathy, ideally we should feel it equally for all terrible disasters, but you can't necessarily control that in yourself. And I have to step back sometimes, the news can just be overwhelming.

They are saying there could be another huge quake in the next few days and that does scare me I think Tokyo must be bracing itself for sure, I worry about the people I know round there.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I think some people will always choose to doubt people's motives over their reaction to something like this. Sympathy is sympathy, ideally we should feel it equally for all terrible disasters, but you can't necessarily control that in yourself. And I have to step back sometimes, the news can just be overwhelming.

They are saying there could be another huge quake in the next few days and that does scare me I think Tokyo must be bracing itself for sure, I worry about the people I know round there.
    I'm not sure if it's a freaky coincidence or not, but Friday's xkcd was a commentary on charity and guilt-tripping: http://www.xkcd.com/871

Also, those interested in the backlash can check it out in these stamps' comment sections:
    http://doitforthelulz.deviantart.com...orthelulz&qo=3
    http://kapieren.deviantart.com/art/W...Care-200619658

Good luck to all those fellow forumers whose family and friends were in the Land of the Rising Sun when disaster struck. I hope everything turns out right for you guys.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

I don't go on deviantart, but I must say that one of the reasons why I feel sympathetic is because I like Japanese culture. Not just anime and music. Also their tea culture, ikebana, literature, food, manners, sense of community etc. I also know Japanese people through my Japanese classes and online, and they are some of the nicest and sweetest people I've ever met. People would feel more sympathetic if they knew even something about a place. What links us to others who are far away is, after all, things that are shared.

Inevitably, there are some stupid or naive people who say that people "must" care equally about others. But by the same token, they probably cared a lot more when people they knew were hurt in x disaster (e.g. Katrina) than when 230,000 people were swept away in the Indian ocean tsunami. It's simply physically impossible to care equally and intensely about everyone. I give money when I can, because obviously I have limited resources. But I also consider who I'm giving money to, if it's needed and whether the victims will even see the money at all. The corruption in Indonesia was why I refused to donate money directly to them in 2004, and donated instead to Singaporean aid organisations, which were also donating material items and providing equipment instead of money.

MBTI
    INTP

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2....html?ref=asia

Before and after images via satellite

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Nicodemus: oh wow, there are some pure assholes out there. I'm not sure you should have posted that, I am pretty mad now. I guess dropping the H-bombs on Japan wasn't enough "payback"?

A lot of Americans really think they're the centre of the world and no one else has suffered, eh?

My mom was born on December 7, 1945 (not 1941). She said she's had many many Americans say "oh, Pearl Harbour!" to her. Idiots. She's a Finn, by the way.

So when other nations have natural disasters, what have they done to America that they're being punished for? Haiti, New Zealand, Chile?
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING