User Tag List

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Major earthquake hits Japan

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    people astound me. I never got the argument yeah well x number of years ago when totally different people were in power this happened so you deserve y. It's like really? I'm sure if someone stole a pen from me 5 years ago than got robbed I wouldn't be like hah! fucker! you deserved that! it's ridiculous. I think the stupidest of a culture are often the loudest.
    It's like a family feud: your dad killed mine, I kill you, even if you are a kind and charitable person. Airtight logic, no?

Lay the coin on my tongue Array SilkRoad's Avatar
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nonsequitur View Post

Amazing read... It choked this INTJ up. It's also very much in the vein of what I've been reading in Japanese on Twitter these days.
    I loved these! This was one of my favourites:

"It was cold and I was getting very weary waiting forever for the train to come. Some homeless people saw me, gave me some of their own cardboard boxes and saying “you’ll be warmer if you sit on these!” I have always walked by homeless people pretending I didn’t see them, and yet here they were offering me warmth. Such warm people. "

They are a super-hospitable people and it is heartening to see they've maintained that in a time of acute trouble. I was so impressed by the warmth and kindness of people on both my visits. I came back loaded with gifts from friends of friends. The first time I was there, my Canadian friend's Japanese parents-in-law gave me a very beautiful and unusual teacup. The second time, they gave me a kimono. Holy cow.
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

While there has been no reports of looting in the disaster areas, other opportunists are taking advantage of the situation

The yen now stands at its highest level against the US dollar since 1945, with just over 76 yen to the dollar, on a wave of buying in anticipation of Japanese companies selling dollar-denominated assets and moving funds back into yen.
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

The earthquake have possibly had effects all the way to norway..
    Check the video.

8 sx
    --- Te

It's been pretty depressing lately as they attempt to cool the reactor with sea water. Up to 700 tonnes is required to fill the pool, which holds the fuel rods.

Member Array Ethelred the Unready's Avatar

I've been shocked and really upset after seeing the news about the earthquake, the following tsunami and now all the trouble with the reactors. I've heard on the news today that there's suspicion that all the water evaporated from around the rods - I hope this can be remedied in time. I hope Japanese people won't have to deal with more victims of radiation - they've had more of it than perhaps any other nation on Earth.

I know how scary it is to live in fear of radiation related illnesses. I've been subjected to radiation as a child, after the Chernobyl disaster. So far 1 person in my family has died of cancer, which apparently was Chernobyl induced...and just next week my 38 year old sister-in-law will have to operation to remove her thyroid. This cancer is apparently Chernobyl induced as well...

I do hope poor Japanese will at least avoid this, after all the beating by Mother Nature they have taken so far.
    We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull; some have weird names and all are different colours, but they all have to live in the same box.

Senior Member Array

I've heard that there have already been a lot of scams regarding charitable donations to the victims; here's a USAID reccomended site that lists 25 reputable charities that are involved in the relief effort, for anyone who's interested:

I get rather emotional when i hear about the workers sacrificing themselves to fix it.. I look up to their ethics/morale.

512 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by nonsequitur View Post
    Nice links. Thanks for posting them. They seem to be having some success in dealing with it.