User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

The radioactivity is just due to the coolant (water), which had been exposed to radiation during the functioning of the reactor, being released (albeit explosively) without treatment.
    This is not the same thing as the core essentially being exposed to the air like it was in Chernobyl.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Takeru View Post
    I'm still worried about the reactor, it'll cause an even bigger problem than the quake has.
    It will not. The media is fear-mongering as usual. It kinda pisses me off.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...72D0BM20110314

figsfiggyfigs

yeah, 1/3 of the budget of power-plants goes into safety. I wouldn't worry Takeru.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Yeah, the core seems unlikely to become exposed. However, afaik "experts" don't know exactly what's happening - which is perfectly normal, since the central's electronic equipment has likely gone bust. I've spoken with a friend who has a MSc in nuclear engineering, and he said that the worst-case scenario, given all the info we have, is a multiple explosion causing sublimation of contaminated water.

edit: apparently a fire broke out in a contaminated fuel storage, that's what released the last wave of radiation.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Yeah, the core seems unlikely to become exposed. However, afaik "experts" don't know exactly what's happening - which is perfectly normal, since the central's electronic equipment has likely gone bust. I've spoken with a friend who has a MSc in nuclear engineering, and he said that the worst-case scenario, given all the info we have, is a multiple explosion causing sublimation of contaminated water.
    Was watching NHK yesterday, and they mentioned that in reactor 1, the fuel rods were exposed for 1.7 m of the total 4 m length before they pumped in seawater.
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    Was watching NHK yesterday, and they mentioned that in reactor 1, the fuel rods were exposed for 1.7 m of the total 4 m length before they pumped in seawater.
    Misconception. "Exposed" in the case of Chernobyl = exposed to the atmosphere through explosion.

"Exposed" in this case meaning still within the reactor container, but exposed to air/steam in it because all the water evaporated.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by nonsequitur View Post
    Misconception. "Exposed" in the case of Chernobyl = exposed to the atmosphere through explosion.

"Exposed" in this case meaning still within the reactor container, but exposed to air/steam in it because all the water evaporated.
    Yeah, that's what I meant. Exposed as in not in the water but still safe within the containment unit

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think one reason why the nuclear story has kinda overshadowed the quake and the tsunami is that it's related to something man-made and people in a lot of countries are thinking "Could this happen here too?"

Still, the French government saying that a radioactive cloud can reach Tokyo in 10 hours and advising their citizens to evacuate is a bit too much
    Last edited by William K; 03-15-2011 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Changed from the stronger 'telling' to 'advising'

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    No. Our culture is largely selfish and competitive, and theirs cooperative.

In fact, I've witnessed comments on-line of Americans complaining about us aiding the Japanese at all.

We're a country full of really warm, compassionate people.
    Apparently, we are compassionate people, at least in relative terms.

http://charitieshouse.blogspot.com/2...haritable.html

MBTI
    INTJ

Im impressed by how they behave in this time of crisis.. its in the news now.. no caos.. people are still standing in line and so on.. Not much of stealing either...