capitalism gets a bad rap for various reasons
1) people think america is a capitalist nation, absolutely not
2) people tie monopolies with capitalism. 100% of monopolies always come about as a result of some kind of government intervention
3) capitalism is associated with corporations, corporations are ILLEGAL in a capitalist society
4) people associate the traits of capitalism with negative connotations.
- wanting to benefit yourself
- having ambition and drive
- belief in reeping what you sow
- looking out for yourself first
none of these things are bad traits.
5) capitalism is associated with consumerism. consumerism is caused because businesses go overseas to hire workers for production. this comes about because the legal system is so bureaucratic that opening a factory literally costs billions more in the United States than in China
6) competition is not bad. competition drives inovation, inovation drives increased value, capitalism efficiently distributes value via win/win exchanges (aka purchases), the distribution of this new value drives growth, which leads to more businesses, more innovation and more growth and increases people standard of living at an insanely fast rate.
7) capitalism gets a bad wrap because it forces people to bear the consequences of their actions. socialist nations crumple because their citizens become like children wanting the government to spoon feed them