User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should minimum wage be abolished?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    10 18.52%
  • No.

    39 72.22%
  • I don't know.

    5 9.26%
12311 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 268

  1. #1
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default Do you think minimum wage should be abolished?

    I'm beginning to think so. I feel that our country is just not doing what it takes to compete with other countries. We're pushing business away by making it too expensive to do business here. It seems that the solution would involve permitting a lower quality of life than what we've become accustomed to, but while still allowing people to live.

    The way the economy is currently configured, jobs are scarce partly because it's expensive to pay employees. The "bottom rung" is increasingly higher and difficult to reach.

    If employers were free to pay employees as little as they wished, more low-paying jobs would likely open up. Low-income is better than no income, right?

    What do you think? Has minimum-wage done more harm than good, or is it really a good thing? Why or why not?

    At the very least, I think it should be lowered back to $4.25. $7.25 is ridiculously high.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    At the very least, I think it should be lowered back to $4.25. $7.25 is ridiculously high.
    It's actually ridiculously low, if you look at inflation.

  3. #3
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    It's actually ridiculously low, if you look at inflation.
    You're missing the point...

    Perhaps you should read this:

    http://www.papillonsartpalace.com/miwnimum.htm

    I'm pretty sure that everyone on this forum is going to insist on minimum wage, because they think it benefits them in the short-term, when in the long-term... it really doesn't.

    Part of the cause of inflation IS the minimum wage.

  4. #4
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I'm beginning to think so. I feel that our country is just not doing what it takes to compete with other countries. We're pushing business away by making it too expensive to do business here. It seems that the solution would involve permitting a lower quality of life than what we've become accustomed to, but while still allowing people to live.

    The way the economy is currently configured, jobs are scarce partly because it's expensive to pay employees. The "bottom rung" is increasingly higher and difficult to reach.

    If employers were free to pay employees as little as they wished, more low-paying jobs would likely open up. Low-income is better than no income, right?

    What do you think? Has minimum-wage done more harm than good, or is it really a good thing? Why or why not?

    At the very least, I think it should be lowered back to $4.25. $7.25 is ridiculously high.
    Have you ever had to survive on your own yet, Athenian? Cost of living is insane. You'd need a whole lot of government assistance. (Or work in a tip paying job) to live off 4.25 an hour. And have lots and lots of roommates.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  5. #5
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    You're missing the point...

    Perhaps you should read this:

    http://www.papillonsartpalace.com/miwnimum.htm

    I'm pretty sure that everyone on this forum is going to insist on minimum wage, because they think it benefits them in the short-term, when in the long-term... it really doesn't.

    Part of the cause of inflation IS the minimum wage.
    So, give youngsters jobs for less so they can make a transition into the working world and make everyone else pay to get a bachelor's degree so that they can eventually pay rent? Have teens do all our dirty work. Hmm...
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  6. #6
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Have you ever had to survive on your own yet, Athenian? Cost of living is insane. You'd need a whole lot of government assistance. (Or work in a tip paying job) to live off 4.25 an hour. And have lots and lots of roommates.
    Yes, people might not be able to live as independently... they might need a lot of roommates, but that's better than being unemployed altogether, like a lot of people are now.

    The problem with all these arguments, is that you're assuming that the same people who would be paid the lower wages, will be paid the higher wages, rather than just being cut out of the job market altogether.

    I know that a lot of people my age and younger HAVE been cut out of the job market altogether, so I'm not alone in this. Older people who already have experience and have established themselves can still get by, but new entrants are being turned away, because they have to demand better people even for worse jobs, due to the amount they have to pay.

    I really feel like there's no logic or long-term thinking behind the opposing argument. I really just can't see it.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Eckhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    Abolished? I would be happy if they finally introduce them here in Germany.

  8. #8
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I know that a lot of people my age and younger HAVE been cut out of the job market altogether, so I'm not alone in this. Older people who already have experience and have established themselves can still get by, but new entrants are being turned away, because they have to demand better people even for worse jobs, due to the amount they have to pay.
    Lol. I've heard the exact same logic in reverse, and see older people getting turned away from some positions because they're not young. And businesses are loathe to hire over-qualified people for entry level jobs, because they never stay in the position long, they're almost guaranteed to drop the position as soon as they find something better. Who wants to deal with high turnover?

    So do you think you could room with a lot of people?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  9. #9
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I really feel like there's no logic or long-term thinking behind the opposing argument. I really just can't see it.
    You mean the argument that people literally cannot afford food and shelter on 4$/hour?

    Many people working minimum wage jobs have trouble getting full-time hours because then the employer has to pay benefits, so they're stuck working a max of 20 hours/week per job. that's 80$/week, or 320$/month. I dare you to find rent for that much, WITH roommates, in a city. I've never seen lower than 400$ for a single room, it's more often 500-600. Often that doesn't include utilities or parking.

    If you get a second, third, fourth job and manage to coordinate the hours properly to work 40+ hours(many jobs won't be nice about it), you could make a whopping 600-700$/month. I guess you could eat on 100$/month, barely. Now you need to get to your jobs somehow, so you don't get fired. A bus pass is the cheapest option, that's about 100$/month. If you need to drive, that's several hundred a month between insurance and gas. That's not counting the cost of getting a car in the first place. We're up to about 700-900$ now for very basic necessities, on a salary of 600-700$ before deductions. Where's that money coming from?

    I think you're just upset because you want some more spending money while you're living at home, and you think jobs should be given to you without any effort. I don't think you're foolish enough to think you could support yourself on 4$/hour. I don't think you would last long when life gets hard and you have to step away from the internet.
    -end of thread-

  10. #10
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Lol. I've heard the exact same logic in reverse, and see older people getting turned away from some positions because they're not young. And businesses are loathe to hire over-qualified people for entry level jobs, because they never stay in the position long, they're almost guaranteed to drop the position as soon as they find something better. Who wants to deal with high turnover?

    So do you think you could room with a lot of people?
    Well, Athenian probably could.
    It's not exactly the American way though.. I don't see people giving up their Audis and RVs and second homes in this country.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Similar Threads

  1. Do you think K.U. should be granted permission to bring her poor mother to Japan?
    By Grand Admiral Crunch in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2016, 08:06 PM
  2. What do you think it means to be TRULY good?
    By SecondBest in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 11-06-2010, 03:41 AM
  3. Do you think that MBTI would be a useful tool in criminal profiling?
    By Mr. Sherlock Holmes in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-04-2010, 06:08 PM
  4. Do you think everything that should be done, can be done?
    By ygolo in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-18-2008, 12:04 PM
  5. Time to re-evaluate myself (again?) - what do you think I am/could be?
    By TenebrousReflection in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-18-2008, 07:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO