User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should minimum wage be abolished?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    10 18.52%
  • No.

    39 72.22%
  • I don't know.

    5 9.26%
First 789101119 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 268

  1. #81
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Be that as it may, you shouldn't be surprised at the mere fact that someone died in a hospice. That's what hospices are... places that provide end-of-life care for terminal patients.
    They weren't solely for end of life care. As for patient suffering bringing them closer to Jesus, give me a break. As well, even IF patients were terminally ill, I suspect they weren't asking for an earlier demise than necessary. Otherwise they wouldn't have bothered looking for care.

  2. #82
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Well, because I can't get a minimum wage job (or less than). For one thing.

    Also, there's no motivation for me to move out, because I don't have to. If I did, I might very well end up dead in the streets within a week or two... or I would somehow end up doing what you described, if I were lucky.


    That's not very helpful, considering that no one is willing or able to test them out.
    Why don't you think for 2 seconds about someone other than yourself? Now think for two seconds about an entire class that didn't grow up with your privileges, and doesn't have your current advantages like a safe, free home. You're proposing a dramatic reduction of quality of life for the hardest-living class of people in the US, on the theory that it will yield you a job.

    For all your proclaimed N, you show yourself over and over to be unable to see the world from another perspective, which is really not a difficult thing to do.

    Is this thread about you, or about the general situation in the US? Make up your mind. If it's not all about you, give some logical reasoning, not this "but, but, I don't have a job and I waaaant one" crap. If it is all about you, don't pretend that it's anything more than venting.
    -end of thread-

  3. #83
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    No. I can't understand why people want to turn the United States into a third world country.

  4. #84
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Why don't you think for 2 seconds about someone other than yourself? Now think for two seconds about an entire class that didn't grow up with your privileges, and doesn't have your current advantages like a safe, free home. You're proposing a dramatic reduction of quality of life for the hardest-living class of people in the US, on the theory that it will yield you a job.

    For all your proclaimed N, you show yourself over and over to be unable to see the world from another perspective, which is really not a difficult thing to do.

    Is this thread about you, or about the general situation in the US? Make up your mind. If it's not all about you, give some logical reasoning, not this "but, but, I don't have a job and I waaaant one" crap.
    Agreed. I've found that people who have these kinds of beliefs have led very sheltered, upper-middle class lives.

  5. #85
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
    i propose a field trip for athenian. a few months in an indian sweatshop, sleeping in filthy shared quarters sounds like a go-er.
    Okay... well, I would have to learn the language, somehow get a work visa or something there... and find a job as a foreigner.

    Just as soon as I can figure out a way to do all that... you're on!

    I would actually like to do that, and then report back if I could. I've never actually experienced anything like that before. At worst, it would help me understand where all of you are coming from. At best, I can tell you that I survived it, and you're all greedy and unreasonable.

  6. #86
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Well, because I can't get a minimum wage job (or less than). For one thing.

    Also, there's no motivation for me to move out, because I don't have to. If I did, I might very well end up dead in the streets within a week or two... or I would somehow end up doing what you described, if I were lucky.


    That's not very helpful, considering that no one is willing or able to test them out.
    No one's willing to try it out because most of us in the middle and lower classes with jobs have actually been working for hours and hours a week for our whole lives, figuring out how to interview, writing resumes, building bridges with our cohorts, running around on our feet for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week to pull ourselves further and further from the poverty line. And don't really feel like donating our money to someone who's sitting on the couch at their moms hoping to take all our money and quality of life away so that a job will land on her lap without ever having to lift a finger. That's reality.

    (Edit: And I'm sure a lot of us had no choice. No moms house to sit around and ponder how to make a job come along.)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  7. #87
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    It's really easy to lecture others when you've never been, and probably never will be even close to being in their position, I suppose.
    -end of thread-

  8. #88
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    also, if you actually were willing to work for 2$/hour babysitting, mowing lawns, walking dogs, etc I guarantee you that people will pay you. This is how I know that you haven't even put in an effort to find THOSE jobs. There's nothing stopping you from going door to door asking people to hire you. There's no minimum wage for those jobs.
    -end of thread-

  9. #89
    Senior Member Santosha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    I understand where your coming from Athenian. You want a job like MANY MANY other people, and it is extremely difficult to find one here is the US (so called land of opportunity). I'm not sure what I think about lowering the min wage. But I will throw out a few tidbits of what might be related...

    The US economy is going to crash.. its not IF its WHEN
    This is because we are running a ponzi monetary system printing dollars that have no gold or real GDP backing
    Even if all US citizens were taxed 100% of their income.. we would not be able to balance our budget.. we actually HAVE to borrow money to continue living the way we live..
    The us is unique in that we hold the worlds reserve currency on the dollar.. this gives us the ability to continue printing more money for debts and loans.. its the only things that has kept us afloat and sometime (probably soon) this will stop., We (like all great empires) will sink, and shit will hit the fan.

    So I don't really think lowering min wage will do anything. The ONLY things I think we could do at this point to even potentially not crash... is for govt to cut its cash cows.. military spending AND social programs. WACK. THis, combined with removing most govt regulation and inervention on business would open up a truly free market and create jobs. But lets just say that the US economy does crash. From a more spiritual standpoint, it doesnt have to be the end all. Really, US has been living fat and happy for far longer that we should have focusing on materialism, consumerism, big houses, and reality tv. I think an economic collapse is not only deserved at this point, but a great opportunity to re evaluate whats really important in life. =)

    Instead of worrying about finding a job.. I'd be looking into college degrees that are needed in other countries. Learning a foreign language, and studying survival skills.. like how to distill water by digging a hole in the ground.

    But thats just make take on it
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

  10. #90
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    No one's willing to try it out because most of us in the middle and lower classes with jobs have actually been working for hours and hours a week for our whole lives, figuring out how to interview, writing resumes, building bridges with our cohorts, running around on our feet for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week to pull ourselves further and further from the poverty line. And don't really feel like donating our money to someone who's sitting on the couch at their moms hoping to take all our money and quality of life away so that a job will land on her lap without ever having to lift a finger. That's reality.

    (Edit: And I'm sure a lot of us had no choice. No moms house to sit around and ponder how to make a job come along.)
    That's YOUR reality. Considering that you don't know me, nor do you know what I have or haven't tried to do... I'm really not interested in your opinions of me. I don't dislike you or anything (in fact I think you're pretty cool in general), I just don't think you know enough to say those kind of things about me personally.

    Besides... I'm pretty sure that the economy will take away your quality of living soon enough, anyway. Sorry to tell you that.

Similar Threads

  1. Do you think K.U. should be granted permission to bring her poor mother to Japan?
    By Grand Admiral Crunch in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2016, 08:06 PM
  2. What do you think it means to be TRULY good?
    By SecondBest in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 11-06-2010, 03:41 AM
  3. Do you think that MBTI would be a useful tool in criminal profiling?
    By Mr. Sherlock Holmes in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-04-2010, 06:08 PM
  4. Do you think everything that should be done, can be done?
    By ygolo in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-18-2008, 12:04 PM
  5. Time to re-evaluate myself (again?) - what do you think I am/could be?
    By TenebrousReflection in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-18-2008, 07:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO