User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should minimum wage be abolished?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

10 18.52%
  • No.

39 72.22%
  • I don't know.

5 9.26%
First 5678917 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I didn't want to bring up that point, actually.

But yes, businesses ARE hiring illegal immigrants and paying them under the table. Which means that they're the only ones who can get those jobs, essentially.

And it raises an important question... why do we deserve to be paid more than them? Do we work that much harder? Or are we just inherently too good to have to do the kind of jobs they do? That seems to be the message people are sending...
    I actually legally worked a minimum wage job straight out of college and had to continually work double and occasional triple shifts to afford a cheap apartment in a really bad area, where I got robbed twice and a dead body was found nearby in the lake. Minimum wage will kill you slowly... No matter where you are from. The problem isn't that there are illegal immigrants really... Its the cheap-ass owners who will happily break the law in order to avoid paying the people who do the hard work a living wage
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I actually legally worked a minimum wage job straight out of college and had to continually work double and occasional triple shifts to afford a cheap apartment in a really bad area, where I got robbed twice and a dead body was found nearby in the lake. Minimum wage will kill you slowly... No matter where you are from. The problem isn't that there are illegal immigrants really... Its the cheap-ass owners who will happily break the law in order to avoid paying the people who do the hard work a living wage
    And yet... were you not grateful to have that job and that apartment, rather than be unemployed and making nothing?

That's the problem, though... business tends to attract very cheap, unethical people who are willing to exploit others. Those are the sort of people who rise to the top. And it's them that we all have to appeal to for jobs. That is what I'm trying to do... offer them what they probably want most. A lot of work for minimum expense. The current laws prevent me from doing that.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Whoah, this begs the question of how one quantifies human life as it relates to contribution to society. Did Mother Teresa really contribute more than she harmed?
    I don't really know where you are going with that example, but from what I read it seems that she has contributed lots of good stuff to other people. I think most of us would agree that helping other people to live is a valid contribution, but I do see where the issue of contribution gets ambiguous. It's all very abstract. And I am not saying that someone who makes no visible contribution doesn't deserve enough supplies to live. That just wouldn't be cool at all. We should all be able to live.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

And yet... were you not grateful to have that job and that apartment, rather than be unemployed and making nothing?

That's the problem, though... business tends to attract very cheap people who are willing to exploit others. Those are the sort of people who rise to the top. And it's them that we all have to appeal to for jobs.
    Why not move out, make your own living off minimum wage (or less than), live with eight other people, and then get back to us after eight months of that grand experience and share if your opinion has changed at all:?

At risk of losing my "N" Club card, this discussion is far too revolving around various personal theories and speculations. It probably won't hit any sort of resolution or come to agreement without testing these ideas out.

EDIT: Interesting poll results.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Why not move out, make your own living off minimum wage (or less than), live with eight other people, and then get back to us after eight months of that grand experience and share if your opinion has changed at all:?

At risk of losing my "N" Club card, this discussion is far too revolving around various personal theories and speculations. It probably won't hit any sort of resolution or come to agreement without testing these ideas out.

EDIT: Interesting poll results
    The poll results are actually not interesting at all. I was hoping for people to come through with something else that we didn't think of.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I don't think that eliminating the minimum wage would accomplish anything significant for our national economy. Honestly, nobody who really contributes value to the economy is making anywhere close to minimum. Even a burger-flipper at a fast-food place will be paid more than minimum if he or she can demonstrate basic ability to accept training, stay on task, and show up for work on time.
    I honestly think it's intended more for rural areas, where there aren't as many options for employment other than minimum wage jobs or not much higher.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

- What about the person who needs more than those 3 dollars to feed his family? Won't the one accepting the 3 ruin the wages for the rest?
    - Also, what about purchase power? The Chinese migrant workers you want the West to emulate can't even afford most of the stuff they build?
    - Also, you can outsource certain labor intensive jobs that require little to no qualification to places where people are starvin on the streets, but there will always be many jobs that have to be filled locally. What about those?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    I don't really know where you are going with that example, but from what I read it seems that she has contributed lots of good stuff to other people. I think most of us would agree that helping other people to live is a valid contribution, but I do see where the issue of contribution gets ambiguous. It's all very abstract. And I am not saying that someone who makes no visible contribution doesn't deserve enough supplies to live. That just wouldn't be cool at all. We should all be able to live.
    She also refused to support condom usage, which correlates to unwanted pregnancies and the spreading of STIs, some fatal. The hospices that she created didn't believe in modern medicine which means that people were made to suffer unnecessarily or even died. Her belief was that suffering brings people closer to Jesus so that's why there was no usage of painkillers. There's more but it's not necessary to expand on. So, it brings it back to valuation again, perhaps net valuation, as compared to subjective valuation.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

That's the problem, though... business tends to attract very cheap, unethical people who are willing to exploit others. Those are the sort of people who rise to the top. And it's them that we all have to appeal to for jobs. That is what I'm trying to do... offer them what they probably want most. A lot of work for minimum expense. The current laws prevent me from doing that.

So, leave the cheapos at the top, making all the money.. Remove dollars from the hard working, skilled middle class. Take that money and give it to unskilled labor so that we'll all be spread about the bottom. Have new lower class get together in groups of eight to survive. Somehow I feel like I'm getting the short straw here.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    The hospices that she created didn't believe in modern medicine which means that people were made to suffer unnecessarily or even died.
    Um... yeah.