User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should minimum wage be abolished?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

10 18.52%
  • No.

39 72.22%
  • I don't know.

5 9.26%
First 2345614 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I think it would be important to consider the effects of what abolishing minumum wage would do. First off it would allow many mega corporations to pay drivel to their workers and more money into the pockets of already filthy rich CEO's. This would eventually culminate in businesses paying people maybe a $1.50 an hour and making those who are fresh out of college forced to work unlivable wages. People would have to literally live in huge homes together without choice and struggle to live decent lives. For those that want more they would need a college degree, but that shit costs money (actually that's the way it is now) meaning that people have to indebt themsleves to greedy banks just to waste their most productive working years learning stuff, just to get a decent paying job.

All in all I think that minimum wage should be increased to a living wage standard, something like $10.00 an hour so that the average American out of high school can work hard and stilll support themselves through reasonable means.

So the gaping chasm between rich and poor here just isn't wide enough for you then? The middle class is disappearing because of the way big business (with an assist from sympathetic government interests) is putting the screws to the average citizen. Just witness what is going on in Wisconsin...even though those are public employees, the concept is the same. Companies can make money in America, they can just make MORE overseas, and the resulting impact to American citizens doesn't bother them. You might keep jobs here if you lowered minimum wage, but you'd be dooming many more citizens to poverty so that a CEO can have two boats instead of one. And lest you think this is some hippie rant, I'm actually mildly conservative. But your suggestion is just unacceptable to me. When someone wants shoot you, you don't hand them a gun.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I don't know, really. I just want to survive... and be productive, I guess. I hate being unemployed, because it makes me feel worthless.

At this point, I would honestly be willing to work for free, if I could get the opportunity, and I could survive while doing it.
    I understand where you are coming from. I remember jumping on the application for the only entry-level job in the area for months (that I wasn't doomed to fail at, such as fast food work). The problem was, the starting wage for the job was $11.95/hr, so a lot of people who weren't entry level were also jumping on it. I thought about asking about correcting the mistakes the other person makes and bringing coffee for everyone for half the wage

Having a regular, albeit very low paying, job does have its benefits. But for now I am doing well saving up money by doing odd jobs. I have been starting some volunteer work too, and improving some of my skills so that I can get experience to be an independent tutor. Surely someone in your area is looking for volunteers? You are surviving now, even if not comfortably, so I don't see what the difference would be if you simply want to work.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    All in all I think that minimum wage should be increased to a living wage standard, something like $10.00 an hour so that the average American out of high school can work hard and stilll support themselves through reasonable means.
    I think that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Don't you realize that they won't be able to GET a job right out of high school if the minimum wage is that high?!

How could you possibly have read this thread, and failed to understand that point?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    I understand where you are coming from. I rembering jumping on the application for the only entry-level job in the area for months (that I wasn't doomed to fail at, such as fast food work). The problem was, the starting wage for the job was $11.95/hr, so a lot of people who weren't entry level were also jumping on it. I thought about asking about correcting the mistakes the other person makes and bringing coffee for everyone for half the wage

Having a regular, albeit very low paying, job does have its benefits. But for now I am doing well saving up money by doing odd jobs. I have been starting some volunteer work too, and improving some of my skills so that I can get experience to be an independent tutor. Surely someone in your area is looking for volunteers? You are surviving now, even if not comfortably, so I don't see what the difference would be if you simply want to work.
    Actually, I have started looking for volunteer work in addition to regular work. I'm sure that I'll eventually get a volunteer position... surely there's not THAT much competition for those (I hope?).

Thank you for your post. I'm glad that you can sort of understand where I'm coming from.

MBTI
    INTP

How could you possibly have read this thread, and failed to understand that point?
    Should a person with a high school education be able to support themselves with the wages earned through their job. Yes or no?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Should a person with a high school education be able to support themselves with the wages earned through their job. Yes or no?
    That's a stupid question.

Especially since the way things are going, college degrees are necessary for getting even low-level jobs, thanks to the amount of competition for them. A high school diploma is basically worthless now.

Should a person with a high school education be able to even get a job? Yes or no?

MBTI
    INTP

Should a person with a high school education be able to even get a job? Yes or no?
    Yes

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by Athenian200
    I think that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Don't you realize that they won't be able to GET a job right out of high school if the minimum wage is that high?!

And why not? As far as I'm concerned mego corporations that have vast amounts of wealth like McDonalds, Target, Wal-Mart, Jack-In-The-Box, etc. can easily afford to pay their workers more, thus the minimum that they pay should naturally be higher (especially for the god awful busy work that one has to do in those places).

And I mean sure, Americans could definitely be more responsible with how they spend money, there are far too many people who carelessly by consumer products out to kazzo without goo reason. But that doesn't mean wages should be so low that I sturggle just to have a minor living accomidation while vast amounts of wealth go to make the rich richer.

Walt Disney. Having dropped out of high school at 16, Walt Disney’s career and accomplishments are astounding. The most influential animator, Disney holds the record for the most awards and nominations. Disney’s imagination included cartoons and theme parks. The Walt Disney Company now has annual revenue of $30 billion.

Milton Hershey. With only a fourth grade education, Milton Hershey started his own chocolate company. Hershey’s Milk Chocolate became the first nationally marketed chocolate. Hershey also focused on building a wonderful community for his workers, known as Hershey, Pennsylvania.

Frank Lloyd Wright. Having never attended high school, Frank Lloyd Wright surpassed all odds when he became the most influential architect of the twentieth century. Wright designed more than 1,100 projects with about half actually being built. His designs have inspired numerous architects to look at the beauty around them and add to it.
    Get on your horse and ride.