User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should minimum wage be abolished?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

10 18.52%
  • No.

39 72.22%
  • I don't know.

5 9.26%
First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    How much do you pay for your apartment per month?
    How much do you pay for your food per month?
    How much do you pay for your utilities per month?
    She doesn't.. Lives with mom in the city last I checked.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Seriously? In the fifteen years since I've been doing those jobs the kids are now charging that much??
    I don't understand that mentality myself. I would be motivated to do a job like that for $2.

Well I say we just put all the kids in their own houses and then they can figure out how they're going to survive. Athenian can go with them!
    That would be an interesting experiment.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Okay, then... let's ask another question.

Why is it so ridiculously expensive to "sustain life" in this country? There are workers in other places that are paid far less, and survive on those wages.

I don't think we're really talking about sustaining life, so much as sustaining QUALITY of life.
    At a certain point though, it does become about sustaining life, unless one has the skills to survive from the stuff out in the wilderness.

I don't know because I've never been out of the country, but do countries with very low or non-existent minimum wages also charge less for materials needed for semi-comfortable survival? It's hard to imagine that this wouldn't be the case...

I think that if someone is desperate for work, and can somehow get by on a tiny bit of money, informal jobs that aren't affected by the minimum wage, like babysitting and yardwork, are a good option.

MBTI
    INTP

You do all realize that the problem is that assumption that you NEED a comfortable life, living alone or with few people, with a personal cell phone, a car, and all of those luxuries that people take for granted. Also, ALL members of a household should be producing income if possible.

The problem is that these things are not needs, we just THINK they are because we don't know how to live without them. Why do people think they are entitled to all these things?
    We determine what we are entitled to. People have initiative, and they make their own destiny. My destiny is to not live in a shack with 15 or 20 other people, shitting in the street.

NEEDS are redefined constantly. Do people NEED medical treatment? Do they NEED vaccinations? Do they NEED 2,000 kilocalories each day? Do they NEED shelter? Do they NEED potable water? Do they NEED transportation to and from their place of employment? Do they NEED any education whatsoever?

I leave these questions up to you to answer. We can all ask ourselves, and determine our own answers. There is no wrong, there is only what is right for YOU. I know what is right for me.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    How much do you pay for your apartment per month?
    How much do you pay for your food per month?
    How much do you pay for your utilities per month?
    If people pooled their resources, they could still pay for those things. They just couldn't live independently.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

You do all realize that the problem is that assumption that you NEED a comfortable life, living alone or with few people, with a personal cell phone, a car, and all of those luxuries that people take for granted. Also, ALL members of a household should be producing income if possible.

The problem is that these things are not needs, we just THINK they are because we don't know how to live without them. Why do people think they are entitled to all these things?
    I don't need a comfortable life. You are talking to someone who waited and worked for 25 years to move to a comfortable life.. Which is why I, (or anyone) remains in this country. To continue working for a comfortable life. And a reasonably comfortable, non drudging life outside the city requires a reliable vehicle. There are plenty of countries where there is no minimum wages, lower cost of living, and less comfortable lives without cars and phones. Removing day to day living here would require completely destroying what it means to be in this country, you'd have to destroy the whole country and start over. (When it would probably make more sense to just move.)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I don't need a comfortable life. You are talking to someone who worked for 25 years to move to a comfortable life.. Which is why I, (or anyone) remains in this country. To continue working for a comfortable life. And a reasonably comfortable, non drudging life outside the city requires a reliable vehicle. There are plenty of countries where there is no minimum wages, lower cost of living, and less comfortable lives without cars and phones. Removing day to day living here would require completely destroying what it means to be in this country, you'd have to destroy the whole country and start over. (When it would probably make more sense to just move.)
    The bolded is my entire point... if those people live THAT way, then why do we insist on having so much more money, and living so much better, when we certainly aren't working harder or producing more than those people? It's certainly not as though we deserve it.

Companies are moving their jobs to those other countries, because people here are too greedy and demanding to work for what they're offering.

MBTI
    INTP

The bolded is my entire point... if those people live THAT way, then why do we insist on having so much more money, and living so much better, when we certainly aren't working harder or producing more than those people? It's certainly not as though we deserve it.

Companies are moving their jobs to those other countries, because people here are too greedy and demanding to work for what they're offering.
    How do YOU want to live? You keep talking about other people, about other countries, and about companies, but I want to know how YOU want to live. I believe that you and I have different goals in life, but we could better understand each other if we are clear on these types of details. You speak of excesses, but what is it that distinguishes excessive from standard? We cannot properly communicate until this is resolved.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

What you're advocating is the erosion of the middle class, and especially the quality of life for working women. That is not a goal for anyone who believes that people should be able to pull themselves up from poverty.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    How do YOU want to live? You keep talking about other people, about other countries, and about companies, but I want to know how YOU want to live. I believe that you and I have different goals in life, but we could better understand each other if we are clear on these types of details. You speak of excesses, but what is it that distinguishes excessive from standard? We cannot properly communicate until this is resolved.
    I don't know, really. I just want to survive... and be productive, I guess. I hate being unemployed, because it makes me feel worthless.

At this point, I would honestly be willing to work for free, if I could get the opportunity, and I could survive while doing it. I keep applying for jobs and volunteer opportunities, but the standards are set so high that it's impossible for me to get in.