User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should minimum wage be abolished?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

10 18.52%
  • No.

39 72.22%
  • I don't know.

5 9.26%
First 122021222324 Last

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    It's not just about oil, it's about resources in general. The economy can in principle survive without oil as there are other sources of energy (we have plenty of coal and fissile material left).
    The current political and regulatory climate makes transition to a coal- and nuclear-based energy economy in the US patently impossible. I agree with you in theory; but building nuke plants and coal plants and Fischer-Tropf coal gasification plants simply will not happen under current conditions.

MBTI
    yupp

are we forgetting what working conditions were like before labor laws and minimum wage? are we forgetting that abolishing minimum wage means businesses are going to pay less and it's not like oh just take another job and don't work for that company because people don't always have the choice if everyone else is paying a paltry wage. are we forgetting that corporations are greedy? are we forgetting that people who work minimum wage a lot of times take 2nd and 3rd jobs and I'm sure it's not because they love to work that much.

if you get rid of minimum wage you'll have more people taking government assistance, which will make people mad. and call more people lazy even though they're working their asses off. Getting rid minimum wage will not solve a thing, if anything it will drain government reasources which means higher taxes or more people starving. and no one can survive on $2/hr in this country no one. even with room mates it's not possible.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Oh, that. Definitely, this thread is annoying... a lot of people don't look at this very carefully, except for FDG.

I was never even certain about abolishing minimum wage, I just wanted to hear a good argument against it. Only one poster offered anything resembling one.
    You don't think being inhumane is a good argument?
    -end of thread-

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Just as John McClane says, it's always about the money.
    He stole that thought from Argyle.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I'm beginning to think so. I feel that our country is just not doing what it takes to compete with other countries. We're pushing business away by making it too expensive to do business here. It seems that the solution would involve permitting a lower quality of life than what we've become accustomed to, but while still allowing people to live.

The way the economy is currently configured, jobs are scarce partly because it's expensive to pay employees. The "bottom rung" is increasingly higher and difficult to reach.

If employers were free to pay employees as little as they wished, more low-paying jobs would likely open up. Low-income is better than no income, right?

What do you think? Has minimum-wage done more harm than good, or is it really a good thing? Why or why not?

At the very least, I think it should be lowered back to $4.25. $7.25 is ridiculously high.
    There are LOTS of minimum wage jobs available out there. I would wager that in every major metropolitan area in the US I could get a minimum wage job within 24 hours. Many of these businesses have lots of turnover because the employees don't value the job because the pay is too low, so almost anyone can walk in a get a job on the spot.

What does this mean? It means that the minimum wage is not "too high". If it were "too high" (something like $15/hr-$20/hr), that would be a problem.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Hell, R-D, that's not even a logically-structured premise. That's precisely what the Athenian is looking for, incidentally... a logically structured argument with verifiable supporting data.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I think it's a short-sighted argument. Removing the minimum wage could theoretically have a long-term cascading effect where it lowered the cost of essential goods and services, making it easier to live on a lower wage. I think this is unlikely given that the minimum wage in the US is pretty low, already, but I can understand the reasoning behind this.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Hell, R-D, that's not even a logically-structured premise. That's precisely what the Athenian is looking for, incidentally... a logically structured argument with verifiable supporting data.
    Why? He didn't give one in favour of abolishing it; his argument was that "I can't get a job!!!!!" That's not fair.

Besides, not wanting people to either die in the streets or rely on government services (thus increasing taxes) is perfectly logical. It's just not the answer Ath was looking for.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I think it's a short-sighted argument. Removing the minimum wage could theoretically have a long-term cascading effect where it lowered the cost of essential goods and services, making it easier to live on a lower wage. I think this is unlikely given that the minimum wage in the US is pretty low, already, but I can understand the reasoning behind this.
    It could theoretically do a lot of different things. It would certainly be inhumane in the short term, and the long term effects are difficult to predict with any level of certainty.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    He stole that thought from Argyle.
    Yet, that doesn't diminish Die Hard's stature as one of the greatest action movies ever made