User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should minimum wage be abolished?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

10 18.52%
  • No.

39 72.22%
  • I don't know.

5 9.26%
First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Should a worker be able to support himself or herself on the wages earned?

That is the question.

As it stands, minimum wage is fantastic for teenagers living with their parents, but for everyone else, it is insufficient to sustain life. Perhaps, an individual living in the wilderness, not paying rent, not purchasing potable water, and hunting for sustenance could survive on minimum wage.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I could probably room with a lot of people if I had to. I can do just about anything if I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post

That is the question.

As it stands, minimum wage is fantastic for teenagers living with their parents, but for everyone else, it is insufficient to sustain life. Perhaps, an individual living in the wilderness, not paying rent, not purchasing potable water, and hunting for sustenance could survive on minimum wage.
    Okay, then... let's ask another question.

Why is it so ridiculously expensive to "sustain life" in this country? There are workers in other places that are paid far less, and survive on those wages.

I don't think we're really talking about sustaining life, so much as sustaining QUALITY of life.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

No, I don't think it should be abolished or lowered, not with the cost of living so high. I make $7.25 an hour busting my ass and I barely make enough to cover my insurance payments and rent. I got lucky that my boyfriend didn't mind sharing the rent with me. Gas is what's killing me now, and with it going up, that means everything else will as well. It just isn't possible to live off $4.25 an hour and stay above the poverty level. You might be able to do it if you were still living at home, but when you've got bills to pay, rent is due, or your car suddenly breaks down, it just won't cut it.

Lowering the minimum wage will not lower inflation, I promise you. You want to lower inflation? Go curb stomp the gas and oil companies that are ass-raping us on our own vehicles. The higher fuel and oil gets, so will everything else to compensate.
    Anything that you haven't fought for isn't going to be appreciated. It takes blood, sweat, and a large amount of tears before you appreciate what you have.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    You mean the argument that people literally cannot afford food and shelter on 4$/hour?

Many people working minimum wage jobs have trouble getting full-time hours because then the employer has to pay benefits, so they're stuck working a max of 20 hours/week per job. that's 80$/week, or 320$/month. I dare you to find rent for that much, WITH roommates, in a city. I've never seen lower than 400$ for a single room, it's more often 500-600. Often that doesn't include utilities or parking.

If you get a second, third, fourth job and manage to coordinate the hours properly to work 40+ hours(many jobs won't be nice about it), you could make a whopping 600-700$/month. I guess you could eat on 100$/month, barely. Now you need to get to your jobs somehow, so you don't get fired. A bus pass is the cheapest option, that's about 100$/month. If you need to drive, that's several hundred a month between insurance and gas. That's not counting the cost of getting a car in the first place. We're up to about 700-900$ now for very basic necessities, on a salary of 600-700$ before deductions. Where's that money coming from?

I think you're just upset because you want some more spending money while you're living at home, and you think jobs should be given to you without any effort. I don't think you're foolish enough to think you could support yourself on 4$/hour.
    I'm totally with you there. It would cost me a minimum of 1200 dollars a month to afford a relatively comfortable life here. I'm thinking, the rent in my trailor, (with roommate), car, (I have an economy car, no gas guzzlers here.) a cell phone, gas, and food. (I've had to work this one out a few times in very tight situations, though, of course now I make much more but have debt, those are just more variables.) would require me to NET a minimum of 300 weekly, which is more than 7.50/hr. (OR work more than 40 hours weekly.) Given that most people have some debt to pay off, kids, and all sorts of other variables, I just don't see losing minimum wage to be appropriate in this country.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post

Okay, then... let's ask another question.

Why is it so ridiculously expensive to "sustain life" in this country? There are workers in other places that are paid far less, and survive on those wages.

I don't think we're really talking about sustaining life, so much as sustaining QUALITY of life.
    So the problem isn't that people are being paid too much, but that shit is too expensive? It's a lot easier to simply mandate wages than it is to mandate the cost of every essential component of "living". We can't even figure out how to mandate health care, how the hell are we going to mandate precision pricing for: Water, gas, transportation, food, clothing, shelter, education, etc.

You can choose one variable and measure it against a sum of costs, or you can attempt to control every variable simultaneously. One of these options is realistic, the other, much less so.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

What ever happened to teens babysitting for $5 an hour anyway?

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    What ever happened to teens babysitting for $5 an hour anyway?
    Oh, they charge more money than THAT... although it depends on the particulars, how many kids, etc.

Our kids aren't even motivated to mow the lawn for $10. It's not that they're rich, there's just not a lot they want beyond what they have that movitates them to work for money. it's kind of annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post

That is the question.

Pretty much, realistically.

Even a full-time job at $12/hour, with only one income and kids to support, is damned hard depending on what debt you owe and what sort of house (i.e., an average house versus a fall-er-apart-er) you live in.

And then you've got other stuff to consider. I commute to work (in a carpool, so I drive 50% of the time), and with gas probably going up an extra $1 a gallon, it'll cost me an additional $50-60/month for gas. I can take the hit, although I'm not happy; those with lesser pay would be hard pressed... and now I'm thinking about "gas" heat during the winter, where you almost have to pay it to survive, or else really change your standards of life.

All the basics of life can be very expensive.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

You do all realize that the problem is that assumption that you NEED a comfortable life, living alone or with few people, with a personal cell phone, a car, and all of those luxuries that people take for granted. Also, ALL members of a household should be producing income if possible.

The problem is that these things are not needs, we just THINK they are because we don't know how to live without them. Why do people think they are entitled to all these things?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Oh, they charge more money than THAT... although it depends on the particulars, how many kids, etc.

Our kids aren't even motivated to mow the lawn for $10. It's not that they're rich, there's just not a lot they want beyond what they have that movitates them to work for money. it's kind of annoying.
    Seriously? In the fifteen years since I've been doing those jobs the kids are now charging that much??

Well I say we just put all the kids in their own houses and then they can figure out how they're going to survive. Athenian can go with them!

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post

You do all realize that the problem is that assumption that you NEED a comfortable life, living alone or with few people, with a personal cell phone, a car, and all of those luxuries that people take for granted.

The problem is that these things are not needs, we just THINK they are because we don't know how to live without them. Why do people think they are entitled to all these things?
    How much do you pay for your apartment per month?
    How much do you pay for your food per month?
    How much do you pay for your utilities per month?