User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should minimum wage be abolished?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

10 18.52%
  • No.

39 72.22%
  • I don't know.

5 9.26%
First 71516171819 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioINTP View Post
    They trim to skeleton crews now. Just ask my former co-workers. Now you do twice the work for the same pay after layoffs.
    What I was trying to say earlier, is if everyone does twice the work for the same pay, their pay is worth twice as much. Wealth doesn't disappear. When you increase productivity, which is what you're doing in that situation, you increase wealth.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

They trim to skeleton crews now. Just ask my former co-workers. Now you do twice the work for the same pay after layoffs.

Look the education system is a scam too in some ways. Its a filter for the workforce and now education is a "for profit" industry. You know, its like selling picks and shovels to the gold rush seekers. Just a product of capitalism. Education doesn't guarantee you a job. I have a college degree and it means bumpkiss right now. I know people who have masters degrees without jobs. There are just so many applicants for any given job they are forced to weed out.

When times are good, they are begging for new employees...we are just in a deep recession. Its good for the execs though. It's really only the unemployed and people who defaulted on their mortgages that are feeling the pain. If you had a job the past 3 years, you would actually be able to buy more house than you could before the collapse.

Just keep pluggin away. Remember, its not WHAT you know it's WHO you know. Unfortunately I don't know anyone.
    It is totally who you know.

But being kind of smart or having certain skills can help, especially if you're an adaptable person.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6-5

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    What I was trying to say earlier, is if everyone does twice the work for the same pay, their pay is worth twice as much. Wealth doesn't disappear. When you increase productivity, which is what you're doing in that situation, you increase wealth.
    Wut? You increase wealth for the guy at the top maybe, but Joe the worker still makes the same wage. Its called transfering wealth, which is also what happens in stock market crashes.
    Type 6w5 sp/so/sx I think..I have not fully explored this and just discovered it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

There was a reality show about this exact experience. It wasn't pretty. They sent these prissy spoiled chicks and a few guys too (middle, upper middle class I assume) to these third world countries to work for a few weeks. The working conditions were deplorable, wages were a joke. They all freaked out of course and wanted to go home. I only saw parts of two episodes and forget the name of the show, but I remember one was a rice paddy in vietnam and one was something in india. I'd love to see Athenian get on this show and watch.
    I know a few other members of the forum I'd like to put on that show, too.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

There was a reality show about this exact experience. It wasn't pretty. They sent these prissy spoiled chicks and a few guys too (middle, upper middle class I assume) to these third world countries to work for a few weeks. The working conditions were deplorable, wages were a joke. They all freaked out of course and wanted to go home. I only saw parts of two episodes and forget the name of the show, but I remember one was a rice paddy in vietnam and one was something in india. I'd love to see Athenian get on this show and watch.
    Yeah? Well, I'd like to go on it and show you I could handle it better than those other people.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

If everyone does twice the work for the same pay, you have the same amount of dollars chasing twice as many goods. With the glut of goods, prices start falling precipitously. With the reduction in prices, companies cannot afford to pay their workers at the same rate, so they cut both wages and jobs. Now, since fewer people are working, and for less, there is even less demand for those goods; i.e. even fewer dollars chasing those goods. So, companies are forced to drop prices again. With reduced revenues, another round of wage and job cuts ensue. And so on, and so forth.

This is called an overproduction crisis leading to a deflationary spiral. It's what the last 80 years of fiscal and monetary policy have desperately tried to prevent.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Wut? You increase wealth for the guy at the top maybe, but Joe the worker still makes the same wage. Its called transfering wealth, which is also what happens in stock market crashes.
    How does a dollar worth twice as much not increase the wealth of everyone making that dollar?
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    If everyone does twice the work for the same pay, you have the same amount of dollars chasing twice as many goods. With the glut of goods, prices start falling precipitously. With the reduction in prices, companies cannot afford to pay their workers at the same rate, so they cut both wages and jobs. Now, since fewer people are working, and for less, there is even less demand for those goods; i.e. even fewer dollars chasing those goods. So, companies are forced to drop prices again. With reduced revenues, another round of wage and job cuts ensue. And so on, and so forth.

This is called an overproduction crisis leading to a deflationary spiral. It's what the last 80 years of fiscal and monetary policy have desperately tried to prevent.
    I see wage cuts, but not jobs cuts. Wage cuts become irrelevant because the wages mean more, and jobs cuts from not having to pay as much doesn't even make sense.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

How does a dollar worth twice as much not increase the wealth of everyone making that dollar?
    And if the price of something that is beyond US control like say oil prices remain at the same dollar amount?
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    And if the price of something that is beyond US control like say oil prices remain at the same dollar amount?
    Oil prices aren't out of our control. We control them by buying or not buying oil at a particular price.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader