User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should minimum wage be abolished?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

10 18.52%
  • No.

39 72.22%
  • I don't know.

5 9.26%
First 3111213141523 Last

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    They weren't solely for end of life care. As for patient suffering bringing them closer to Jesus, give me a break. As well, even IF patients were terminally ill, I suspect they weren't asking for an earlier demise than necessary. Otherwise they wouldn't have bothered looking for care.
    Well, it may be exactly as you say. It's possible that the church did not want to get into the business of dispensing pain medication because of the risk of becoming targets of drug-motivated crime. Regardless of motivation, I would note that 1) such care as Mother Theresa and her organization was willing to provide was given free of charge, and 2) the care given (such as it was) was not coercive. If a patient didn't like it, he or she was free to seek help elsewhere.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhart View Post
    Or they will export their goods to countries with higher wages.
    Why turn down their home market? If people can't afford the prices they charge, tell me why any company which wishes to sell their product would not lower prices. As I already said, dollars aren't wealth, only representative of wealth. Fewer dollars does not automatically mean less wealth, lower wages does not mean lower actual income.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    i am an advocate of capping how much money people should be allowed to have
    Your moderate stance is admirable.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    The problem with minimum wage is people think that by increasing wage, you are increasing wealth.
    No, I think it's purpose is for the distribution of wealth, not the creation of wealth.

This isn't true. My paying people more currency, you are simply lowering the value of the currency. Minimum wage just prevents the hiring of people who don't meet a threshold of value. It's not good for anybody.
    Wouldn't that only happen if you were actually printing more money specifically for fulfilling minimum wage requirements?

Basically, the problem comes from associating wealth with currency. Currency is simply a certificate that represents wealth. Wealth is determined by productivity, not currency.
    I agree that monetary wealth has only instrumental value, imaginary instrumental value no less, in relation to real wealth. I also agree that too many people don't understand this. But I don't see how that means we should get rid of minimum wage. In fact, I take it to be an argument for minimum wage.

Why turn down their home market? If people can't afford the prices they charge, tell me why any company which wishes to sell their product would not lower prices. As I already said, dollars aren't wealth, only representative of wealth. Fewer dollars does not automatically mean less wealth, lower wages does not mean lower actual income.
    If it isn't exceedingly obvious by now, having to do foreign business has never given a company second-thoughts about making an extra buck.

And you can see right in this world of ours many a third or second world country that makes what fortune it has off of products or services far more used by foreign consumers than their own people.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Your moderate stance is admirable.
    It could moderate, you don't know. Her cap could be in the millions, or stop at 1 billion.

The point isn't the dollar amount.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Yes.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    The point isn't the dollar amount.
    Oh, but it is. A very low salary cap would strongly limit people who wanted to acheive other things or have social status. Because frankly, the need for social status is totally lame in my opinion, people who are driven purely by the idea of being "above" other people have some serious issues, I think....but I can understanding wanting to achieve.

However, even in the Soviet Union of all places, people could still achieve...chess players, mathematicians, gymnasts, dancers...all of these people still had opportunity to push themselves to a high level of achievement.

I'm not saying that people should be controlled and limited in that way, because I certainly do not agree with Soviet communism or anything close to it...it's just that I'm saying that if the salary cap is quite high, there's still going to be room for entrepreneurs and other people to feel "richer" or "above" other people....and also to have financial incentive to achieve.

The higher the cap, the more room there still is for there to be socio-economic classes (which are oh-so-important for some people) and the more that people who work hard and push to achieve feel like they're being rewarded something above the average person.

The low salary cap does not provide as much incentive, as it is too much of an attempt to flatten the playing field. So, yes, the number matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    However, even in the Soviet Union of all places, people could still achieve
    Have a nice trip back in time.

Of course. I understand this. But then what happens is they lower their prices. Of course assuming static goods prices, nobody could afford to buy anything and productivity would halt, but that wouldn't be the case.
    Before I respond to the points stated in your post, you might want to read this old article from The Economist:

http://economistsview.typepad.com/ec...ency_wage.html